Topic

Sierra Designs Cloud Airshell 4 ounce raincoat

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
Peter Bakwin BPL Member
PostedMay 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I have one. Have only used it for running so far – a high intensity activity – and only in moderate rain. My experience is that it is pretty much what people concluded based on the data. It is pretty waterproof and somewhat breathable. I agree that the marketing is confusing – makes it sound very waterproof and not very breathable. Full zip allows for excellent venting. My thought is to bring this as my rain/wind layer along with a poncho tarp. If it rains hard I'll throw on the poncho. Some other observations:
-Designed to fit over a puffy, so fits rather large. I am 5'8", 140lbs and got size S, which fits well (loose). Not as long as a typical rain jacket, but mostly covers my butt. Sleeves are long enough to go over my hands, which I like.
-Hood has no draw string but works OK. It has some elastic to keep it tight. I'll wear it with a baseball cap or warm hat & I think it'll be fine.
-I weighed men's S w/o included stuff sack at just 3.3oz.

PostedJun 27, 2013 at 7:40 pm

"Several people cooperatively sharing their thoughts with others will often result in a quicker solution/answer/understanding than one working alone."

Yes, many witches have been successfully identified and burned at the stake that way. ;-)

Jon Leibowitz BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Anyone use this extensively this summer? Thoughts?

I don't care much about the breathability issue as I don't sweat much. I'm more curious about how waterproof it is.

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 1:43 am

I agree that the marketing for this product is somewhat confusing. I think Dan's comments are spot on though. It sounds like SD is trying its best to tell the average customer what most people on this forum already know: WP/B jackets are not very breathable and should only be worn when absolutely necessary (i.e. when it's raining or you are far too cold to sweat). Wind shells are obviously much more versatile due to their breathability.

What baffles me about this layering system is the fact that SD neglected to put a hood on the Cloud wind shell. To me, this embodies the concept of "stupid light." It probably saves 0.75oz, but severely limits the usefulness of the jacket.

The first thing I do when I'm hiking and I get cold is to put on my wind shell with the hood up. The jacket is much, much warmer with the hood raised. Hoods are so small and compact on modern wind shells these days that layering clothing on top of them is no problem at all. I'm just not seeing the downside of including a hood on a wind shell (other than that it doesn't look as cool in the ads when some model is running with the jacket on).

Again, I'm just at a loss for SD's hoodless decision on the wind shell, but this thread is about the rain shell, so I digress…

Still, I'd like to hear more real world reviews of this potentially interesting rain shell.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 9:11 am

So glad to see no hood. Hate them. Visability and hearing stinks with them. Especially ones sized for a helmet. How many climbers are there? Prefer a hat. Glad there are choices in the world. I'd would like to see more offerings in tall. A nice long jacket that actually covers your waist when moving.

Peter S BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 9:20 am

Ken, agree with you, though I don't have a "waterproof jacket + separate waterproof headgear – system". Do you have a system that works for you?

Peter S BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 9:25 am

Just realised that you were commenting on a windshirt and not a waterproof shell…

Peter Bakwin BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I've used the Cloud rain shell quite a bit more since my last comment. We had some rain here in Boulder, CO, last month… I have been quite impressed with the waterproofness of the shell. The zipper is the main place that water gets in. Love the full zip, hood & of course the lightness. The negative on this thing is that it's not very durable. Actually, I wish someone would make a "100% waterproof (i.e., nonbreathable), 3oz rain shell from a durable material. Waterproof/breathable seems sort of neither.

Jon Leibowitz BPL Member
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm

What aspect is not durable? Did you snag it? Did it rip at the shoulders from your pack? Zipper?

Peter Bakwin BPL Member
PostedOct 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

Mine is delaminating at the wrist cuff. I often tuck my hands inside the cuffs, with or w/o gloves, which puts some extra stress on that area, but have done this with many other jackets & not seen a durability problem. My friend tore a hole or 2 in his shell during what I would consider normal use. The material certainly is wispy.

Jon Leibowitz BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2013 at 6:22 am

That's a shame. Looks like Luke's silnylon with armpit zippers is the winner.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
Loading...