Topic

Sierra Designs Cloud Airshell 4 ounce raincoat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Cloud Airshell 4 ounce raincoat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Anyone have experience with this 4 ounce raincoat?

cloud airshell

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Looks OK- But I'm in the market for something that packs down to the size of an orange, not two energybars per the website.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I looked it over, and read all the marketing hoopla behind it…and am left confused.
    See here: http://www.sierradesigns.com/news.aspx?showarticle=371

It's supposed to only be used when RAIN starts to fall (this is the marketing's emphasis, not mine)…ok, isn't that what a rain jacket is for?

It's supposed to be part of a 3 piece system…windshell, puffy and rainjacket, and from the wording, it almost seems as if this rain jacket shouldn't be worn as a windjacket because

"this system effectively separates the windproof layer from the waterproof/breathable layer for enhanced, customizable performance in a wide range of conditions. Start with the Cloud Windshell when you're on the GO, add the Cloud Puffy when you STOP moving or temps drop, and break out the Cloud Airshell only when the RAIN starts to fall."

Huh? What happens if I break out the Cloud Airshell when the RAIN hasn't started to fall? Will I implode? Are you just trying to make me buy the windshell too? or is there really some reason why this rainshell can't also function as a windshell?

IMO, at the end of the day, if its just a traditional rainshell and only weighs 4oz, awesome! No need for all the other BS they are trying to spin.

Maybe me no have good reading comprehension skillz, but I don't understand how this this system that is supposed to be "revolutionizing the way people stay warm, dry and comfortable in the outdoors while simultaneously removing extra weight" is any different from traditional layering.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Konrad,
    The spec on vapor transmission from SD is pretty useless without knowing the test method. Even then, recent articles and posts here have shown the makers play games that make the specs useless. Will's field test articles confirm that we need tests in real world conditions to find out what's good and what's not so good.

Agree with your implication that the maker would not advise us to wait for the rain if the product had a better than average transmission rate.

Methinks that's why Daryl is asking if anyone has actually tried the jacket in real world conditions. Only if it works well does the very low weight then make it worth another look.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

No one has tried one of these out yet since they will be released in March.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Wouldn't it be smarter to get a rain jacket with a hood?

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I thought the same thing, Bob. But somewhere it did say it had a hood.

David Ure

@familyguy

The hydrostatic head is a bit low for a rain shell. In heavy rain, one might experience some leakage.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"But somewhere it did say it had a hood."

The first link led to a photo which shows no hood.

But, if somebody said it, it must be the truth (except for Lance Armstrong).

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

4oz. waterproof/breathable rainshell sounds fine by me.

I think the SD website is maybe struggling on the marketing of this piece, but I think I get what they're trying at here with this shell. This shell reminds me of the lighter Montane offerings for "in a pinch" use, eg. Litespeed H20. I hardly ever pull my rainshell out on trips, usually for short periods of time in the late afternoon during fairly predictable monsoon season thunderstorms that exit as quickly as they arrive. A piece like this is really all I require for summer use here in the desert Southwest, but I'm not off trail whacking through miles of brush or pushing through several hour deluges.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Bob,
    Take a closer look at the first link…there's a hood, it's just down and almost flush with the jacket. You can tell by the way it bulges a bit by the back collar. It also looks like its non adjustable based on what appears to be stretched elastic binding (black) used on the sides of the hood.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Under "features" on that link… "attached hood".

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"there's a hood, it's just down and almost flush with the jacket."

That's a hood?

–B.G.–

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It's supposed to only be used when RAIN starts to fall (this is the marketing's emphasis, not mine)…ok, isn't that what a rain jacket is for?

Reading the website, it states the rain shell is 2 layer -but most shells are 2.5 layers to keep the laminate away from oily skin and sweaty fabric. There may be a tradeoff or maybe SD found a way around the problem.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Yeah, marketing speak is trying to "educate" the buyer on layering systems. Nice of them but sounds like they hired a fresh communications major to do the copy (the irony of that degree…).

As for being a 2-layer system that may be a huge reason for their somewhat specific rules for how to wear the garment. If it is an unprotected membrane to save weight…well then yes Konrad, if you don't wear the gear as specified you'll likely ruin the rain shell pretty quick through oil contamination and abrasion. That said, seems like a piss poor product to launch from any company that sells a large volume of clothing and offers a warranty. We'll see what shakes loose in the next couple of months. Looks promising and my fingers are crossed, but I'm not expecting too much.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'd like to add that a 4K rating for HH is pretty low. The usual industry standard is 10K+ can be called "waterproof" and anything less is water resistant.

This is sounding less and less like a waterproof shell and more like highly water resistant windshirt. Good for my deserts in the summer but probably not something I'd recommend over something like an OR Helium at just 2 oz and $25 more (or the zpacks cuben rain jacket which is much more expensive, same weight range, and probably more durable).

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Dustin and HK, that makes total sense. Hence the wording about the separation of the windproof layer, and the extremely light weight. This is also starting to seem more and more useless now :/ If it is the case that it's only 2-layer without some buffer, then you're right and I can't wear the airshell directly over my baselayer. Meaning I have to wear it over either a windshirt or an insulative midlayer, which either diminishes the overall breathability or limits the range of activity/temperatures that I can use such a setup. Well, that went from awesome to eh pretty quickly.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

"Well, that went from awesome to eh pretty quickly"

LOL!

(but often the case with such things)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I'm impressed by the collective analysis that resulted from the postings and agree with Dustin's tentative summary: "This is sounding less and less like a waterproof shell and more like highly water resistant windshirt."

Several people cooperatively sharing their thoughts with others will often result in a quicker solution/answer/understanding than one working alone.

Thanks for the help.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The marketing about wearing this only when it rains sounds like a indirect admission that the breathability is poor, which is easy enough to believe since most WP/B shells breathe poorly. The concept of a using a windshell 90% of the time for good breathability and then only tossing on a rain shell when it's precipitating is a good one, and one that many of us here (myself included) employ. Ideally WP/B jackets would breathe like cotton, but the limitations of today's technology means that a dual shell system is one of the best strategies in a lot of circumstances.

I personally think it's refreshing to see a rain jacket marketed for use only in the rain, rather than trying to sell it as an amazing new wunderjacket with gnarly-nano-membrane that is so breathable you can wear it while lifting weights in a sauna.

What I don't understand though is why the hydrostatic head is only 4K. If you're biasing a jacket more towards waterproofness than breathability, then you'd think you'd aim a little higher. Perhaps this has something to do with how they got it so light. 4K is probably fine for a while, but as the jacket ages I would get nervous about it's ability to keep droplets out.

The torso looks a bit short.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I agree w/ Dan- don't really care if I only have to wear it when it's raining- that's the only time I'd plan on wearing it :)

I'm glad to see that they are pushing the envelope, with that said I'll probably keep my Helium for a 2 oz weight penalty and retain a very functioning adj hood and drawstring waist

Pertex Plus has a HH of 20,000

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Here's a brief water testing of fabric. (scroll down)

here

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

My feelings exactly Dan. I think a very light, waterproof shell that is only marginally breathable would be quite nice. Windshirts are so light now that bringing both would make a lot of sense. Wear the windshirt to combat wind, bugs and even mild rain. But when the rain overwhelms the windshirt, switch to the not very breathable rain jacket. You could probably do the same thing with a light poncho, but this has isn't as bulky as a poncho.

But if it isn't really rainproof, it is useless for this purpose. I've tried wearing a windshirt in a Sierra downpour and I was glad that I was day hiking. If that was a backpacking trip, I would be in trouble.

In general the marketing on this thing is bizarre. Who hides the fact that a rain jacket has a hood? Are you trying to sell to bikers? Even some of those folks like hoods (when I commuted by bike I preferred to stick my hood inside my helmet). Like a lot of these types of jackets, time will tell if it makes sense or not.

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

I'm interested in a lightweight waterproof rain shell and this one sounds almost too good to be true at just 4 oz. It's new to the market this spring and I haven't been able to find any reviews – I'd appreciate some feedback if anyone here has had a chance to try this out in the field.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If you are still looking around, check out the AntiGravity Gear hooded rainjacket. Mine weighs 4.5 ounces, and it is silnylon, so expect a high degree of waterproofness and a very low degree of breathability. Plus, it is compact since there are few frills, pockets, or doodads. Mine is very roomy, so that helps the breathability issue.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools