Topic

Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So Richard Nisley. Would you say use what you have/like as they all work pretty much the same?

a b

@ice-axe

Good Evening Richard,

What activity levels were the particpants in your study subject to?

In your opinion which garment would hold more moisture after an extended level of activity and what effect would this have on body core temperature after ceasing activity?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Fishnet is a 90's technology that still works adequately. Power Dry High Efficiency is currently the leading base layer for moisture management.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks Richard.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

ab,

They were in a climate lab using ergometers. The temp was 5c (41F) with a sustained 2 mph wind. They did two 7 MET heating cycles and 2 cool down cycles per test. The only variable was the knit types. The material types were polypropylene for all knits. This test was for all common knits in use during the 90's. Fishnet did the best job of skin surface moisture handling but the core temp curve was the same for all knits at the same point in the test cycle.

Current technology testing generally shows that Power Dry High Efficiency is the best moisture management base layer material. I am trying to stay out of trouble and so I won't mention the worst garment type for holding moisture. I will give you a hint though; it is a material problem rather than a knit problem; and Natick Labs expressly prohibits its use in any ensemble layer.

My original post on this thread was only meant to clarify that underwear per se merely occupies a portion of the still air layer, and, therefore, the nature of underwear has little to do with the over-all thermal insulation, although these results may be independent of subjective comfort.

Rhodri Lewis

@rhodrigeo

Hi Rhodri Lewis here from Nordic life in the UK. We are currently servicing the US (as requested by Brynje), as there is currently no importer. Reliable Racing have done this in the past, but according to Brynje, have not purchased any new stock for about two years. We have serviced some members of this forum and are now set up to service the US. We have reduced are shipping rates also to help out a little. Feel free to email any questions.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Now all you have to do is provide email address

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Current technology testing generally shows that Power Dry High Efficiency is the best moisture management base layer material."

Based on my individual experience with the Cap 4 Hoody, worn next to skin, in some very high moisture producing situations, I can confirm that. The stuff is simply the best moisture mover I have ever experienced.

Rhodri Lewis

@rhodrigeo

Jerry. Apologies. [email protected] , web address is http://www.nordiclife.co.uk
    Cheers

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

Richard,

PM inbound for your thoughts on the base layer of choice and proper wear of insulating layers with plate carriers and IOTV now that there use is required OCONUS and even live fire training CONUS.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

maybe BPL should think about becoming a dealer??? the costs for the merino fishnet stuff purchased overseas (or Canada for that matter) is borderline criminal- $100 for a crew neck, $135 for a zip neck- eek!

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Europeans often complain that items made in Europe are cheaper here than in their country of origin, perhaps because of greater purchasing power/distribution efficiency. Ideally, a US distributor would take this line on.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ agreed, maybe BPL would like to get back into the merchandise business? :)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I ordered a top and bottom from Nordic Life. Shipping to US was 6 pounds (about $10).

Won't arrive until January.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

curious- did you order the syn or the wool?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I went for the synthetic (polypro?).

I'm a heavy sweater in a wet environment (Pacific Northwest of US) and like clothing that dries quickly.

I've also bought a nylon fishnet top from Wiggys and really like it. I'm ordering the polypro to save a few ounces.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

here

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Daryl,

You need to edit your post. WalMart shoppers are a different breed than normal shoppers.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Seriously. The shipping charged by aclima stockist is unreasonable.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hi
    I just got my Brynje set from Nordic Life and wanted to let you know about fit, since if you live in the US you will have to mail order this.

I got:
    Bottoms: Longs wool fine mesh. size M
    Waist seems true to size and comfy brushed elastic waist band. Snug fit around the legs, and I don't have big legs. Quite long. Cuffs seem like ~220g/m2 wool.
    These are indeed a fine mesh, similar to what you used to see in sportswear in the past.

Top:
    Woolmesh zip polo with inlay. size L.
    Very trim fit, close to body and arms, similar to my Odlo shirt(L). sleeves seem very long when you put it on, but ride up, probably because it has low stretch.
    The collar on this shirt is very tall, as you can see in the picture. Even when folded over, it is still at least as tall as the collar on most other zip-necks I own.
    The collar is very tight. I have a skinny neck and it is tight for me. I will try to stretch it out and see how it ends up.
    The collar and cuffs are thick fabric, again guessing ~ 220g/m2, doubled over. I cut one layer of the collar fabric away, and that made it comfortable for me, with a tall and skinny neck(shirt 16").

I never noticed any dampness like I have with regular merino shirts, so the mesh seems to be working in that regard.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I was very interested in the timing of this article, as I had just placed an order for some Aclima Woolnet and Coolnet items. I have been doing some experimenting with different layers the past two evenings on my evening walks around the neighborhood…I usually walk far enough and fast enough to work up a sweat by the time I get home.

At any rate, the temperatures the last two evenings have been similar (last night when I went for my walk it was 5F, with a -10F windchill, and the pevious night was several degrees warmer, but windier, so I'm pretty sure the windchill was lower).

Two nights ago, I layered as follows:

Aclima Woolnet Longsleeve shirt
    Patagonia 3 Midweight Merino Zip Neck Long sleeve
    Patagonia R1 Full Zip Fleece
    Arcteryx Squamish Hoody windshirt
    Western Mountaineering Flash XR Jacket.

By the time I got home I felt clammy. I unzipped as soon as I started to feel hot, but I still felt clammy.

Last night, I layered as follows:

Aclima Woolnet Longsleeve shirt
    Patagonia R1 Full Zip Fleece
    Eddie Bauer First Ascent Cloud Layer Fleece pullover
    Arcteryx Squamish Hoody windshirt
    WM Flash XR Jacket.

As you can see, I eliminated the Merino zip neck layer between the Woolnet and the R1, and I instead added another Fleece on top of the R1.

This was much more comfortable…I did not feel clammy at all, even though I was warm when I got home. I know it seems like a lot to wear, but I was not wearing a pack, I was just on a walk around the neighborhood…with a pack, I probably would be carrying the down jacket in the pack instead of wearing it.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this in case anyone might find it helpful.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

In my first post I stated that the Brynje long sleeve zip had very long arms. I will add that they end up riding up in use. Though they are quite long when I put the shirt on, after a while outside I end up with a wrist gap. This was the case even while gently DH skiing, so not with any vigorous arm movement.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

My main coat for backpacking is an old closed cell foam float-coat from a second hand store. I have been using the Brynje polypro top under it this week. Temps in the 40s, moderate exertion yard work, light drizzling rain.

The fishnet feels much better under the float coat than my solid base layer tops for all the reasons we have been discussing here.

The Brynje polypro fishnet will definitely be the primary base layer on my next backpack.

On the negative side I find this stuff smells bad after even 1 hour of use. Could be a personal issue. I sweat and stink more than most normal people (I know, who said I was normal).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Tjaard,

Perhaps these would help?

Daryl

here

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Fingerless mittens

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools