Topic

Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Just Say No To Wicking: Non-Traditional Base Layers Based on a Next-to-Skin Fishnet Model

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here are a couple of observations from my wearing of the fishnet over the last few weeks, mostly working in the yard in Seattle with temps in the 30-50F range and some rain.

(1) The nylon Wiggys top stinks less than the polypro Brynje top.

(2) My favorite combo for either top is to pair it with a lightweight (about 3 ounces) nylon tricot T shirt. The stretchy T shirt really reduces the air movement around the fishnet holes and I feel much warmer than without the T shirt. The Brynje fishnet top plus nylon T shirt, together, weigh about the same as the Wiggy's top.

Photo

George Hartnell

@unclegeorge

Locale: Northwest Washington

Years ago someone sold a fishnet set of long underwear. The only detriment was that the clothing was, ugh, cotton! However, I personally wore that outfit in difficult conditions for years whilst commercial fishing in addition to distance backpacking in the intermountain West. I've been waiting for someone to build another such outfit without the traits of cotton.

This fishnet underwear was outstanding. I sweat — hard. The mesh not only keeps one warm in the cold, but, by the miracle of evaporation cooling, worn alone with no cover the fishnet also (subjectively) keeps the wearer cooler in heat! (Designers take note, this old product was cotton white — good in direct sunlight.) Insulated by a cover, the evaporation at skin level during winter exertion is without parallel, in my experience.

I am thrilled that a newer version of this garment is in the works. Keep the mesh off the shoulders and pack hip-belt area, work with modern quick dry materials, and the outdoor world will beat a path to your door.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's a great price on short sleeve polypro fishnet. I bought several and have been happy with them. They cost a fraction of the one shown in the photo.

here

Here's another observation about using fishnet. Working in the yard the other day I wore a cotton/poly t-shirt over the fishnet t-shirt. After several hours of heavy sweating the cotton poly t-shirt was 100% soaked with sweat. The fishnet was barely damp. My wife said it felt like it was dry.

I would usually be quite chilled if I was wearing a cotton/ply t-shirt that was soaked with sweat….even in a warm gym if a fan was blowing on me. With the fishnet under the soaked t-shirt I was comfortably warm, however.

For comparison I'm a very heavy sweater.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I just got a Castelli wool mesh baselayer (Miracolo). I like it better than my Brynje. It has some elastase, so it is stretchier. It has no solid cuff or neck like my Brynje either, so it stays dry all over.

I wore it most days for a week of XC skiing, underneath either a breathable windshirt, or Neoshell hardshell. One cold morning I added a Polartec Alpha sweater as a midlayer with the wind shirt, but that was to warm almost all the time.

Despite working up a good sweat on the way out from the trailhead (more ascending), I never felt wet or cold on the way back (more descending).

Really, really impressed with this baselayer.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools