Topic

REI currently working on new return policies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI currently working on new return policies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I proposed to my first wife at REI way back in 1980. I returned her four years later, and really appreciated REI's return policy.

If they change their policy, I'm not proposing to any more women at REI.

Bummer. Gotta find a new proposal store…..

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you buy an article of clothing and never use it other than wear once, will they resell it as new? Or do they have to resell all returns as used?

I have returned clothing to REI that I bought and changed my mind on. It would make me feel better about that if they could get all their money back.

Jerry Cowan

@krazyone44

Locale: Pac NW

So long as the return policy is at least 90 days I will continue to shop at REI. Over my 10 years of shopping there I have only returned one item past the 90 day mark and that was because I just didn't make it back to the store within that time frame.
    If after 90 days something isn't working for me or I have found a better product I just sell it to a friend or Craigslist it.
    The benefit of REI is I can avoid most returns because I am able to physically get my hands on the gear before purchase.
    Hopefully a change in the return policy could allow them to expand the products they offer.

Brian Abram

@boglins

Locale: The South

Backcountry's return policy specifically states, "if at any time – now, next month, in 30 years, you're not 100% satisfied, send your gear back for a full refund. No questions asked."

Under what sort of scenario could someone imagine that a 30 year old return would not be abusive? The fact is, Backcountry and REI celebrate their return policies, and they use those policies to gain sales, knowing that the few who abuse the system will be overshadowed by many more of those who buy partly due to the policy with no intention of actually exploiting it. These companies are taking advantage of folks who buy from them due to the policy but then are too principled to use it to their own advantage.

It could be argued that anyone who buys something under the influence of a policy like that who then fails to take full advantage of it is a sucker.

Disclaimer: no REIs near me, but I have ordered lots from BC. The return policy at BC does affect my choice.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Alex, I saw that kind of stuff, too. There's always someone who has to abuse the system, no matter what the system is, and ruin things for everyone else.

I can't say I blame REI.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I am not sure why I get this impression that so many people feel like its cool to return lightly used gear or gear that you just didn't use, but many years later… I think that when you buy something, you own it and that the company has no responsibility to let you return it for just any reason. Especially if you've used it! Now let's say you use shoes and they were the wrong size – that's only their fault if they sized you wrong or the shoe company's fault if the shoe causes you serious blisters. If you wear a wind breaker twice and decide you just don't want it anymore, why should you be able to return it? Did it fail? Did it not do what it said it would do? I think that a return policy that allows someone to return gear that is just not performing because its badly made, or gear that fails during normal use, like tearing or seams failing, etc makes a lot of sense. A return policy that allows you to return anything for any reason is just going to cost the company a lot more. They are merchants. You are buyers. You vote with your spending dollars. If a product sucks you go to the company that made it and tell them, and work something out. Don't expect the merchant, who has a store, overhead fees, and makes money selling you gear on behalf of all the great manufacturers to just take it back. That should be on the people who made it. Now if they sell you a boot that is "waterproof" and it leaks because it was poorly made, by all means they should let you return the boots. If you buy a headlamp that doesn't work as advertised, great. But you didn't like the way it looked or changed your mind later about something? Why is that on REI? Anyway I've had to return a few items due to bad manufacturing, but I would never return the shoes I bought that I didn't wear often because I chose shoes that were not for the right activity – I could have asked more questions or learned that before buying them. Anyone else agree with me on this?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 Adam.
    Sadly common sense and a sense of ethics are lacking in many people.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I don't get it. If people think REI policy is immoral and abusive it's easy to shop elsewhere. Preferably someplace where consumer service is a stern old conservative who's only answer to any consumer complaint is to get the hell out before he calls the cops. Leave REI their consumer niche and find your own.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

there are tons of people on the intrawebs who like telling other people what to do ;)

if REI thinks its "abusive" … then they can ban that particular person or stop their return policy … till then …

i guess im gonna "abuse" MECs return policy again … bought a pair of approach shoes a month ago and the rubber is already delaminating and the heel tab is falling apart …

mmmmmmm =P

Will Govus
    Spectator

@willgovus

After every garage sale at the three REIs in my region I pull out massive amounts of expensive items out of their dumpsters. Often the stuff is useable (I've gotten virtually unused trail runners, jackets, bike racks, trainers, steripens, even cargo boxes) and even re-sellable.

Most of the time they cut up time massive amounts of sleeping bags (everything from cheap synthetics to marmot helium's), backpacks (gregory, osprey, etc), footwear, and sleeping pads before they throw them away. I am not exaggerating here. Last weekend I filled up my trunk and all seats of my car with all kinds of stuff…

This is done quite obviously to uphold the "integrity" of the brands instead of donating these to items people that could use them. What comes to mind immediately is that they could donate these to homeless shelters or even boyscouts. This is the reason why I despise REI. If they plan of having such a lax return policy, they should have a less disgusting way of dealing with the excess it produces.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Wow… I wonder how long those particular stores have been doing that? In my many years of working at REI, I was never aware that any activity like that was ever taking place. I admit, I wasn't wasn't working in the warehouse or customer service, but I do know that dealing with any damaged equipment was always a risky thing.

Keep in mind that the slightest bit of “damage” in any product, even if it were donated to a great cause, could be a potential lawsuit for ANY outdoor retailer, regardless of some well-written waiver signed by a well-intentioned recipient. Let us not forget the litigious world we live in these days. I am sure REI has had their fair share of lawsuits over their 74 years.

Perhaps the higher level solution could be REI “encouraging” all manufacturers they represent to accept their products back for reconditioning, regardless of their condition.

(Not to digress too much, in “Cradle to Cradle” systems, the manufacturer is ultimately responsible for both the creation of their product, and what happens to it at the end of it’s intended life. If there is any room for re-use or repurpose, the manufacturer would take on this responsibility. I believe large retailers like REI would be in a good position to push more in this direction.)

Matt

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"I am not sure why I get this impression that so many people feel like its cool to return lightly used gear or gear that you just didn't use, but many years later… I think that when you buy something, you own it and that the company has no responsibility to let you return it for just any reason."

REI specifically says, "We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund."

Personally, I limit returns to gear that either didn't work out for me or gear that failed prematurely. I don't care if it has been a while since I bought it. Their policy seems to specifically allow that.

I do draw the line short of returning items that wore out after a normal life.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools