Topic

24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Good read, thanks

I keep eyeing that area for a late winter backpack, maybe up the Wenaha from Troy. You have only whetted my appetite.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Ryan nicely done video and I loved the story. Sometimes a daring armature's trip creates a much more exciting story than a perfectly executed trip by an expert. Sometime I gotta write up my near death experience kayaking on a flooded river.
    Keep up coming and if you have any more of those, shall we say "learning experiences" I'd love to hear them.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Ryan,
    I could share with you a story of nearly drowning in the Narrows as a young man. Thanks for posting this adventure and for the great pictures. Having grown up in the area I'm feeling a little homesick and will likely have bad dreams about relentless whitewater but reading the article is worth it.

When floating the Grande Ronde you hear the "Narrows" long before you see the intimidating (for me) stretch of whitewater. Putting out on the left bank above the rapids allows you the opportunity to survey the approaching challenge and plot strategy/survival. Back in the water, having hopefully selected to best line, it is a true commitment with no turning back. Once you have dropped into the "Narrows" the only way out is to make it to the other end, with or without your raft!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ryan

That was a GREAT trip report and video! What was your initial impression of the Alpacka dry suit?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Nice trip report, Ryan! Yeah, the tenkara rods are not exactly designed to let a fish run. Too bad you lost the rod, always annoying…

Steelhead are noted for tail walking and other acrobatics. Once they decide on a direction, often the only thing you can do is throw them slack enough to let them think they "escaped". Not something you can do with a tenkara.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Ryan,

A question on your feet – would you say your system keep your feet dry, wet but warm, or wet and chilly. If you were planning a much longer trip, say a one to two week trip in conditions around freezing, would you change anything with your footwear system?

Edited for second question after watching your video.

The neck gasket looks very loose on you. Is that how it came, or did you stretch/trim it to make it more comfortable?

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Thanks!
    I'm inspired…

Which "21-foot Daiwa" did you use?

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Sounds like a typical Wazzu Cougar…. I miss Pullman. I graduated in CE in 89.
    I wish at that time I was as adventurous as I am today.

John Topping
    BPL Member

@johnt

Locale: Peak District

Ryan,
    You are on a roll at the moment. Fine fine work.
    Thanks

Johnathan White

@jwrambler

Ryan, another stunning vid – inspiring, beautiful, well done!

Bryan Ingersoll
    BPL Member

@bingersoll

Locale: Midwest

Really enjoyed it! Checking the weather now to see which gear to pack for the weekend after this inspirational video.
    24-48 hour adventures, fly fishing and packrafting are "food for my soul".
    I can't thank you enough. It was on backpackinglight.com years ago that I was first introduced to the Packraft. Now its hard for me to imagine back country travel along a trout stream without it.

Thanks Ryan!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Excellent Stuff! 24 hours is a nice round number.

Yohei Aoyagi
    BPL Member

@zzz_bear

Locale: Tokyo

Ryan,

I love 24 series and your filming of backpacking!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Killer. I enjoyed this very much Ryan.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks Ryan. Excellent report, video and write up! Have you had any past success landing a steelhead on a Tenkara rod?

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Great video. Was that a HMG Porter that you where using for a pack? Been thinking about getting one. Haven't decided between the Porter and the Windrider 3400.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm pretty sure that was an Expedition pack. Ryan mentioned it in his photo essay on the Lamar and reviewed it with Chris Wallace a while back.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Great video Ryan.

I hope BPL will be doing more videos in the future as part of the articles on gear reviews, sotm, trip reports and so on…

/Peter

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Thanks Luke.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Superb video and article, Ryan.

It's good that you promote these 24 trips, as for many of us that are the only possible trips at the moment =) I'm looking at 24 possibilities myself right now because of this one!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Yet another excellent article Ryan, which provides lots of information. What weight of cuben is your shelter, .51 oz/sqyd or heavier? I assume your are still using your ID event bivy. It seems that you and I had the same problem with the threads on our jetboils. Your comments on gear and why you packraft are always enlightening, and increasingly convince me that I should play with a packraft.

Thanks again, looking forward to your next adventure.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Whoa…how many years have I been following BPL, and I just now hear of this story? Someone has been holding out on us!

Great 24 hr trip report and video.

Tom

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@Richard Nisley – my initial impression of the dry suit is that it's well done. I have questions about long term durability. I waded up to my chest in it and really enjoyed the one-piece sealed suit for cold weather floating comfort – much better than raingear or splash gear when you're spending most of your time wet.

@Paul
    Mountford – my footwear system kept my feet warm and wet. I would long for waterproof booties with dry socks in them if the water temperature was in the 30s or the air temperature was in the 30s or lower; the neck gasket is stretch neoprene, not latex (yay!) and I left it loose – of course, not ideal if a swim is a reality…!

@Greg
    Mihalik – My rod is a Daiwa Liberty Club 62SR.

@David
    W – yes, but only small fish, in the 4 to 6 lb range, and even those had to be chased downstream pretty aggressively. I've caught quite a few trout that have been much larger. Steelhead are a different animal.

@Jeff
    Gerke – Expedition.

@Roger
    B – yes, the 0.5 oz Cuben. I'm about to retire this tarp, and I'm moving up in weight to 0.7 on my next one, perhaps; the bivy is the MLD eVENT bivy, but in regular size, it's too narrow and constricts loft when I'm down quilting with a Neo-Air.

To everyone – thanks a ton for the encouraging comments. Very inspiring, working on my next vid story already!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools