Topic

Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice pictures. Looks like an amazing place.

Are there grizzlies there? You must have to hang your food.

a b

@ice-axe

The pictures make me smile.
    What a great trip!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I'm going to have to get down there soon. Beautiful pictures.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

nice pics Ryan!

one of my favorite haunts- beautiful views and there is some tremendous fishing in many of those alpine lakes- I'm talking big (big) fish

no grizzlies (very, very occasional sighting)

5# cutbow :)

Photobucket

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Thanks really enjoyed this post with its wonderful photos, the gear list makes for informative reading as well.

@Mike
    great looking fish there.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Great photos, nice fish and interesting gear list. Thanks for sharing this Ryan.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Looks like a great trip! Really good pictures!

Looks like a great summer hangout, one of those places you wouldn't get me out of anytime soon. (drool…slobber, slobber, drool…)

Mike, nice fish!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice job.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

RJ – as always nice looking photos :)

RE sleep system: what down fill weight was in Ben's pullover? and why did you opt for a down jkt while synth pants?
    I would assume you donned the jkt on rest stops as well…not concerned about precip and sweat?

Mike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Your passion and love for photography and image making process comes across strongly in your work Ryan, these are really beautiful examples. I can't even imaging having such access to big and wild country such as this, it blows my mind.

Thanks for sharing your world.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Ryan, for putting this together for us!

What a great photo essay. Picturesque the whole time, it looks like. Like Eugene, I long for settings like that.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Ryan – Can you provide your food list. Thanks.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@Mike – this is a 900 fill jacket, long length, hood, pullover style, and very puffy – but definitely not a winter class coat. I brought synth pants because I don't have a pair of down pants right now, or I would have brought those to save a little weight, maybe. I wasn't expecting sustained foul weather, and if I was, I would have switched to an all-synthetic system (including jacket, pants, and quilt).

I don't think I ever wore the jacket at rest stops. Day temps were in the 50s or higher, so I usually added my windshirt, rain jacket, and watch cap at cool rest stops.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

@regultr: I don't have a food list, but there was nothing unusual here. The usual snacks for daytime (dry meat, cheese, chocolate, nuts), cereals with freeze dried fruit/nuts/cream for breakfasts (meusli, granola, or creamed wheat), and typical pasta-meat-cheese-sour cream-etc. freeze dried dinners (albeit homemade and calorie-dense).

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Thanks for all of your kind comments. Words and even pictures can't convey what I feel about this place. It's incredible, and reminds me of Alaska. The spaces here are very big.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ryan,

Wow….thanks for sharing your photos and journey with us about your side of the world.

Question for you regarding your camera:

How do you like the compact Sony RX100 vs. the Sony NEX5/7 series?

I have been debating both the RX100 vs. the NEX5N.

As much as I like the idea of the larger sensor on the NEX, the smaller form factor of the RX100 being "pocketable" is important to me.

Your shots look great and makes me lean even more towards the RX100.

Curious to get your thoughts.

As a side note, I was "shocked"/surprised that you are using the Jetboil system vs. something like a Caldera Cone….though, the weight on the Jetboil you was using is compellingly low, if that includes the weight of the mug to cook in.

Thanks again for your thoughts and great article.

-Tony

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

@Tony

The RX100 offers remarkable image quality for its weight. The photos here don't do it justice. Something weird happens when the photos were published online at BPL and I can't figure it out, but Flickr shows this one off much nicer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigskyry/8035837425/lightbox/

The thing I really like about the RX100 is the quality of the image when the lens is zoomed. Power of Zeiss optics, maybe. It's good stuff.

vs. NEX7 – NEX7 still has quite an edge and better DoF control, but the RX100 is very capable and its pocketability is be a big bonus.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Cool reports, first the Lamar report now this one. Keep them coming. A well written story is fun but some trips are best reported with a set of good photos.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

With all the awesome trip reports coming from Ryan J (Lamar, A-P) and Dave. C (Crown of the Continent et al), I'm starting to wonder if Montana tourism is slipping BPL a few greenbacks. It's sure working for me.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

This is the essence of BPL. And very inspiring as Dan pointed out. Thanks for sharing so much and reponding to the many good questions that were asked.

Cheryl McCormick
    BPL Member

@cherylmccormick

I was feeling skeptical driving west through Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana before meeting up with you in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness for the trek. For 1,000 miles the landscape was desert-like dry and brown with poor views because of the fire smog. What a relief to get in the mountains and see forests and greenery. You captured a lot of the beauty with your great photographic skills and patience waiting for the right light.
    Bet ya wanted to fish more though, huh?

Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

Hey All,

I just wanted to chime in on a couple of things. First, we had a great group and that always makes a big difference. Next, it was ideal fall weather with very little adverse weather and no bugs or predators!

If you have not been on a trek with Ryan Jordan, I would consider coughing up the time and money. Ryan Jordan (and Ryan Connelly as well), were tremendously patient going over their thoughts on gear and where ultralight and lightweight backpacking is going in the future. IMO, 5 days of discussion on techniques, etc was worth the time and money. I would opt for the intermediate course if you are already an experienced lightweight guy. If you have not done as much lightweight backpacking, the Bootcamp would be a perfect place for you to start!

I am hoping BPL will offer a Winter Boot Camp as I think that would be great for many of us who have done some good 3 season work, but would like to head out in the wintertime (in Montana) with some true experts.

Regards,
    Bob Burke

Kirt Williams
    BPL Member

@kirt_williams

I saw on your packing list that you used a polarizing filter on the RX100, which can give the sky a beautiful deep blue look. How did you attach the filter? I didn't see threads on the lens.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

@Kirt

Ryan's likely using some Lensmate accessories or something similar.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sonyRX100.php

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools