Topic

Survey of lightweight one-person shelters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Survey of lightweight one-person shelters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

On my last hike, an eight-day trip in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, I used my Kifaru Paratarp for shelter. It's basically a tarp that can be rigged as a lean-to or tarp or pup tent (using trekking poles). The area tended to be VERY dusty and there was a lot of wind. Being a floorless tent with an open front, I slept in a lot of dust.

I brought this shelter because it's my lightest one (340 grams exclusive of stakes), my next step up being my Six Moon Designs Europa II. I like this shelter but at 1150 g, it's nearly 2 lbs heavier than the Paratarp.

It got me wondering what's available in the US market for one person in a single-wall shelter that uses trekking poles for support, has a floor and is lighter than my SMD Europa II?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

The Tarptent Notch with Semi-solid inner would run less than 800g including stakes and stuff sack. It's not single-wall, but I assume given your dust issues that that's an advantage:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just used the Tarptent Notch on the John Muir Trail for 13 nights. Its a great "tent". Very easy/quick set-up, netting for bugs, and for me, I like the bathtub floor for rain. My last night at Guitar Lake was about 35 degrees and raining – very dangerous conditions. The bathtub floor gave me complete confidence that my down bag and I would stay dry. The big vestibules on both sides allowed storage of all gear out of the rain and the ability to enter/exit from either side allowed flexibility on where it was pitched. All features well worth the small added weight.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Six Moons Gatewood Cape is awesome.

Same weight as your paratarp, but real 4-side coverage.
    Doubles as a poncho.
    Can add the separate matching SMD Serenity Net-Tent to make it a double-wall shelter with bug protection if need be. Bring it if you want, leave it home if you don't need it.
    A bit tighter in footprint than the paratarp, but it's real nice, and has a working door that you can roll back and tie up, and everything.

Sets up with one hiking pole. Very fast set up. I set mine up the first time I tried it in about 2 minutes.

It needs seam sealing unless you order it with the seam-sealed option for $20 extra.
    I did it myself after I set it up the first time. There are directions on the SMD website. Very easy.

Only $135 brand new.
    I love it.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Thanks, Tom — seeking a shelter with a floor.

The Notch looks pretty cool. I'm emailing them to find the weight with the semi-solid inner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Notch purchased in July with the mesh interior (includes a bathtub floor), weighs 27.95 oz (includes stuff sack and 4 stakes).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have an SS1 with mesh inner need and really like it.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Mine weighs 23.5 oz. seam sealed in a cuben stuff sack. It's exremely wind / storm worthy and quite comfortable to boot. Worth checking out IMO.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I bought the tarptent rainbow at 900grams including all 6 stakes and pole. I LOVE IT!! I am 6'4" and there is plenty of room length and height wise for me. The tub floor is big enough that I can have all my gear inside with me on rainy days. You can open the entire one side of the tent right up (peeling back the vestirbule) and you have a great view. Plenty of ventilation and full bug protection. Love it love it love it.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Thanks, Brian.

One question (since you have one): at http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html

they show four pictures of the tent. The rightmost one shows the vestibule opened up with two trekking poles. Doesn't that mean that four poles are needed to achieve the setup shown in the photo?

Tom Lyons

@towaly

I understand.
    That's the reason I mentioned the Serentity net tent that is designed to go inside it as a matching set. That gives it a silnylon floor, and complete bug protecting.
    Just 19 ounces for the both items together.

The advantage of this dual-part arrangement is that it is a true double-wall tent vs the single wall w/bug apron and door construction of most tarptents.
    The condensation issue is much alleviated by the true double-wall system, compared to the tarptents. And it's lighter too.

I came VERY close to buying a tarptent, and I think they are fine tents.
    However, after all the research, I found that the SMD GC could provide stable and full coverage with less weight and less condensation issues and more flexibility than a tarptent.

Not trying to belabor the point, but I wanted to point out that the GC with the inner net tent IS a tent with a silnylon floor.
    I hope I didn't offend.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The State of the Market on Solo Plus tents comes out Wednesday. Hopefully you'll have more than enough information to consider after it's published.

David Ure

@familyguy

"The condensation issue is much alleviated by the true double-wall system, compared to the tarptents. And it's lighter too."

True? The Notch is a true double walled tent and so is the Stratospire 1 & 2, Scarp 1 & 2, and Hogback.

Is that 19 oz you quote include guyanese and pegs? The Notch includes all of those items in its listed weight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My newer model just before GG at present quit offering them w/seam seal, glines weighs 19 ounces, another for me two ounces for 6 stakes=21 ounces total.Use my hiking poles..Just got back from 9 day 8 night CA Sierra trip, it was perfect.Probably not a great shelter in more than minimal/moderate snow, pretty bombproof for moderate wind n rain, dont agree w/some who opine rain gets in..

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Yes, correct the Notch and others mentioned are double wall. And heavier.

The 19 ounces for the GC and Serenity inner tent after will vary somewhat, just like the weights will also vary with the tarptents. Especially so after seam-sealing. However, for discussion purposes, the general weight disparity will be in the neighborhood.

The guys come on the GC and are included in the weight. Stakes are what the user wants to buy. Can be light or heavy. 6 needed.

I have nothing against the tarptents, and in fact I almost bought one.
    But, after the research, I felt that the GC offered more at less weight.
    And considering the dual-use nature of the GC, in addition to being lighter in the shelter, I also saved probably a half-pound or more by not having to buy rainwear and a pack cover.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Zpacks Hexamids.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

"Zpacks Hexamids."

Entryway looks mighty low. I have a difficult time clambering under the eve of the Paratarp, what with this stupid metal knee and fused ankle. Crouching and crawling ain't easy.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I think I am going to have to wait for the SOTM report also. Can't find much out there that is 2 pounds and under, $200 and under and that fits the tall.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Clayton writes, "The State of the Market on Solo Plus tents comes out Wednesday."

Standing by.

David Ure

@familyguy

@Tom

So heavier by 4 oz with the lightest pegs but with fewer features like the outer pitch first of the fly (where the inner goes up with the outer in one complete motion), the dual doors and dual vestibules, and the option of a partial solid inner. Apart being the equivalent of a fart lighter, there are no benefits over the Notch.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Fart lighter

I use a Mini Bic, how does it compare with mine ?
    Does Methane work better than Butane when high ?

Should I be standing-by for that report or should I sit down?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> So heavier by 4 oz with the lightest pegs but with fewer features like the outer pitch first of the fly (where the inner goes up with the outer in one complete motion), the dual doors and dual vestibules, and the option of a partial solid inner. Apart being the equivalent of a fart lighter, there are no benefits over the Notch. <<

One feature that was not mentioned and should have been, is that the Notch uses two trekking poles for setup. This yields an incredible amount overhead space that the GC won't have with a single pole setup. It's one of my pet peeves with the tent manufacturers… they should show the cross-cut end dimensions on their drawings of their tents, not just the area of the floor. I have used single pole setups before and there is not much overhead space. I don't own a Notch but it is on my "to purchase" list.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"the Notch uses two trekking poles for setup. This yields an incredible amount overhead space"

That's a good point. I'm 6' and felt I had plenty of room. Could fully sit-up with no issue. The 2 poles also gives more stability. The Notch is very tight when set-up, all with only 4 stakes.

David Ure

@familyguy

Franco, it is similar to the Mini Bic but it also shoots out a spritz of Axe Body Spray. Efficient but a bit pricey.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools