Topic

Survey of lightweight one-person shelters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Survey of lightweight one-person shelters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

some snow on mine :
    Notch on snow

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Clayton,

If you look at this thread, you'll see that Franco had the Notch out in a bit of snow:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56180&skip_to_post=572302

For what it's worth, I'd probably take my shangri-la over the Notch if I was expecting more than a dusting.

Edit: Franco beat me to it.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Franco and Aaron, thanks for the links and pics. I don't know how I missed this earlier.

As much as I like the Notch, I think it is best suited to three-season conditions. It is good to know that it can take some snow though. Even in three-season weather, we can get some nice snow.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Cricket (the outer alone was called the solo trailstar) w/ the inner is worth investigating; I've been using the "tarp" portion w/ a bivy and find the shelter easy to setup, relatively roomy and weather worthy- it's available in both sil and cuben

you can adjust the entrance high or low (for stormy conditions)

the inner net can be pitched on it's own on clear neats to beat the bugs

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Don't own one but have done all the research and like it allot. My favorite choice, as it seems many see it as a total solution; great coverage, modular, only four pegs, very quick setup (http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html#videos). Something that no one mentioned is that the partial solid inner not only blocks dust but also traps heat when needed. If your sleep system winds up a bit insufficient, you can close down the vestibules more and get extra efficiency that way. And it also eliminates the splashy splashy as well. -Excellent choice and could be used as a tarp only, net tent only, or a true double wall shelter.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Henry,

Thanks for pointing out that the StratoSpire 1 has more interior room than the Notch for the same packed size. Of course the extra sleeping/living space comes with the trade off of some additional weight to carry.

Does the design of either shelter offer a significant advantage in regard to wind stability and/or the ability to handle moderate snow in shoulder-seasons conditions (or the occasional snow fall that can be encountered at any time the Sierras)?

David Ure

@familyguy

I am 6'1" and 215lbs. A buddy is 6'3" and 235lbs. We both own Notches (or is that Notch 'I') and both fit with room to spare in length (both use long, high loft bags) and room at the sides in the middle for gear, clothing, etc. All of the space of the Notch is usable. I would only use an SS1 (I think) if I wanted to try doubling up with my wife.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

I'm a side sleeper and dislike having the wall of the tent inches from my face. Bringing my knees up a bit toward my tummy results in knees sticking one way, feets the other way. Is the Notch wide enough at the head and foot end?

Also, in wind: is it a quiet tent?

David Ure

@familyguy

In my opinion, it is long enough to sleep like that. I am a side sleeper as well. If you thrash you will come in contact with the sides of the mesh, but not the outer fly so not issue with a wet bag, if that is your concern. It is a pretty long tent with vertical ends so the space is usable. I sleep on a synmat UL7 without losing any meaning full volume within the shelter. Note that you do sleep 'close' to the mesh inner but do not touch without fear of sagging in your face. The outer is much farther away as the inner hangs from the outer. The modified 'diamond' shape helps to give much usable space in this case.

Compared to the SS1, the Notch has less volume but also takes up less space and is measurably lighter. It is really a matter of where your priorities lie. The Notch is not a huge solo tent but yet has the most room I have ever had in a solo tent. But it is a solo tent….

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

Well, the State of the Market Report on solo+ tents came out http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68397&skip_to_post=584494#584494 and it's less than whelming. Not helpful.

So now that that's over, I reckon I'll probably get a Notch — a tent not reviewed in the report, but getting love here.

Many thanks all for contributing.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

From what I've seen of it, the Notch is definitely a solo tent, and the article was a review (sort of) of 1.5 person tents. In other words, those planning to share the tent with a child, a large dog or possibly a SO, probably want the Stratospire 1 and not the Notch.

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools