Topic

2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 126 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

It is probably true that we're not "organized" enough to run afoul of GNP regs. Not many people get permits in late May, so they'd figure out something was up pretty fast.

The larger issue is that Glacier terrain is bigger enough that a point to point course wouldn't offer more than one or two obvious routes. Though in late May and with proper care some bold folks with mountaineering skills could take some big shortcuts. One option for folks, especially those on vacation, would be to do a more mellow prologue over a couple days in Glacier, resupply at the Open start, and continue on. Might do that myself, in fact.

Though I'm leaning heavily towards the Bob for next year, I do intend to do a very snowy, high mountain course somewhere else, and soon. The Beartooth Plateau is a leading candidate, but I need more personal experience to evaluate the possibilities. I'd like a route where hikers, skiers, and snowshoers all have an roughly equal chance at being the most efficient answer.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Got the summary report together here: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2013/06/12/2013-bob-marshall-wilderness-open-the-officially-unofficial-report/

Cyrus and Kate, and Sam and Chris, if ya'll want more details of your journeys in there I'd be glad to add them.

Viewing 2 posts - 126 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools