Topic

Down sleeping bag needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down sleeping bag needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

It's funny because there are those with both WM and FF and say that their FF bags are of better quality. I think one thing is for certain – they are both at the top of the game.

Valandre look amazing.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Strangely enough, I gave my WM 5 degree Antelope to my husband and I now use a Mont-bell 0 degree UL SS Hugger or whatever. I just like it better. I guess because it does hug me and keeps those cold gaps from happening.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

I'm starting to think I reached a point at which i am trying to choose one sleeping bag between the TOP 3, though at this point it's a very personal and subjective issue rather than manufacturer quality and garment/down quality differences.

The dilemma:
    WM ultralight
    FF hummingbird
    Valandre Mirage

i don't think i will be disappointed choosing either one of them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When you get that far in the comparison process, you can just pick one based on how the zipper works, or the shell color, or how tightly one will pack.

–B.G.–

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

when i started searching for a new sleeping bag I prepared a chart with the following parameters :

1.Temperature range
    2.Weight
    3.Down fill weight
    4.Down fill power
    5.Outer shell fabric
    6.Inner shell fabric
    7.Loft (in inches)
    8.Draft tube (yes or no)
    9.Draft collar (yes or no)
    10. Price

is there any parameter i overlooked?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fit? My problems lie in the shoulder and footbox.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I agree – both FF and WM are top-of-the-line. Which is better? it probably depends on the model and materials used. My WM bags use Pertex and Microlite XP [both sweet fabrics]. The FF uses Epic. FF now uses Pertex fabrics as well. Looking at the workmanship between my WM and FF bags [all of which are within 4 years of one another]. I'd give the edge to WM. Does it really matter who has slightly better stitching etc – not really.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I am with Mike on the fit.

I really like the space in my FF Lark and PHD Hispar , I used a WM Summerlite and Alpinelite and found them far too narrow.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

The WM Alpinlite is far bigger than the FF Lark so it's definitely not tight by comparison. The 32F WM Summerlite, on the other hand, is definitely a squeeze. I think I'd break-out into a claustrophobic fit.

FF Lark 10 deg F: [60/56/38]

WM Alpinlite 20 deg F: [64/55/39]
    WM Summerlite 32 deg F: [59/51/38]

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Mike,

Meant to say Ultralite :-)

David Ure

@familyguy

The Alpinlite would compete with the Feathered Friends Swift, which has the same shoulder width but is wider everywhere else.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Was it the swift you ordered Dave?
    I had a look at that Prolite gear YouTube flick you posted, very informative as to how Nanosphere works.

David Ure

@familyguy

Indeed I did. Should be here in about a month. I had 2oz overfill put in as well.

I must say, it was a brutal decision to make between WM, FF, and Valandre.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

have you thought about a quilt? I use one for 20 degrees or so and up these days and was just wondering.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – I already use quilts but even my 20 degree rated quilt is lacking for me at those temps. I will still use quilts at warmer temps!

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

shoulders:109cm / 50inch.
    hips:85cm /33.5 inch.
    feet:73cm/ 28.7 inch.

yes i know I'm a small man please don't laugh :
    so you think i can fit in the smaller cut bags comfortably? which one would you go with if you had my girth?

David Ure

@familyguy

For sure. The narrower bags will fit great for you!

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

so this is my updated girth with arms

109cm/ 43inch
    93cm/ 36.6inch
    73cm/28.7 inch

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

The question is how much space do i need for layering?
    usually how much more girth are we talking about when one wants to add additional layers without compressing the down?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It's important to measure your shoulder girth and hip girth over your arms and while wearing all your insulating clothing. You may need to wear all the clothing you have inside your sleeping bag on a really cold night.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Mathematically, if you are a cylinder, and the single layer loft of the clothing is 1 inch, you want the sleeping bag to be an extra 6 inches in circumference.

But then you toss and turn inside the sleeping bag so it's more complicated.

Try getting inside your sleeping bag with the additional layer, toss and turn, and see whether it's compressing the additional layer. Feel whether the additional layer loft is about the same. Even if it compresses the top, there will still be additional insulation on the sides…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You don't want your sleeping bag too tight, but you don't want it too loose, either. More dead air space inside the bag means that your body has to work harder to warm up the inside of the bag. I sold a sleeping bag for this reason–it was both too wide and too long and took far too long to warm up on a cold night.

Only you can decide how tight or how loose a sleeping bag is comfortable for you. That is why Jerry's suggestion to try on the sleeping bag–wearing all your insulating clothing inside–is extremely important.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Yes it is an excellent idea but it's kind of a problem to try out WM/FF/Valandre sleeping bags where i live because they are not imported here. but i will make an effort with the help of some people i know to go and try them out.

oh almost forgot, cannot find anywhere which fabrics Western mountaineering uses for the Ultralight/Alpinlite sleeping bags. the website does not state this info.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

So the Pertex Quantum then. thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools