Topic

Down sleeping bag needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down sleeping bag needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Hello there,

i have been searching for a new sleeping bag (lost my old synthetic one).
    i asked and searched around on the web and came across couple of brands:
    FF humingbird
    WM ultralite
    Go lite adrenaline
    Zpacks -7 bag – though this one has significantly less down than the others so i dont think it can actually go for 20F.

so i basically have 3 questions:
    1. if badget is NOT an issue which bag should i buy ?
    2. Is there some high quality brand that i didnt check? please only if they are of a higher quality than FF and WM.

3. 20F-7C bag is suitable for summer+late summer early fall in europe right?

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

Ul super stretch are seller. Keep you warm, great loft, very light, and they are stretchy so you don't feel claustraphobic. Best bag I've ever used.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

can you post a link to this bag's specs?

kevin smith

@divr6347

the western mountaineering alpinlite if your looking for a 20 deg bag

mines awesome i love it

kevin

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

im really slim.
    i will fit the ultralite (which is basically the same back just slimmer) with some extra space :)

kevin smith

@divr6347

your saying im fat ?? just because i won t fit in an ultralite lol just kidding

the ultralight is too tight for me only because i have wide shoulders

its a fantastic bag though and if you fit i say go for it the alpinlite is much roomier than the ultralite so for my big frame it fits me well

either way you can t go wrong with western mountaineering bags

kevin

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

that's exactly what i'm trying to find out.
    because WM are so expansive i want to make sure that buy this for a long time to come and won't get that "darn i could have paid another 20 bucks and have a batter one " feeling.

so are there higher end down sleeping bags than WM and FF , assuming that budget is not an issue?

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

I have an Ultralite. It is my main go to bag for 90% of my trips.

That being said, it is somewhat expensive and I'm not sure you get more for the extra money. I'd still buy another one (or FF model). I like the slimmer size, which is harder to find in mainstream bags.

I would check out Montbell UL Spirals too. You can find them on sale for prices $100-200 less than WM, FF.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If price is not an issue, you may want to check out Valandre. Those that own them, typically love them. Very high quality materials and workmanship.

http://www.valandre.com

Donis Jeffs

@oldghoti

Locale: PNW

Have you considered Nunatak?

Their alpinist looks interesting. 22 oz for a 6' 20 degree bag. But not cheap..

Nunatakusa.com

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Try contacting some of the companies mentioned to see if there's anything they can do to make a better bag for you that's not on their websites.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Arthur –

You're on the right track – FF, Western Mountaineering, Nunatak, and Valandre all make great down bags. My answers to your other questions: #3 Yes, a 20F bag should work in Europe through autumn unless you sleep really cold. #1 – I'd get a Nunatak Back Country Blanket with a few custom features: wider at the shoulders, a few extra ounces of down, and some extra length. That's Nunatak's edge [and why its price premium is justified] – you can tweak the standard models to accommodate your size and preferences.

Richard

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Arthur – I have a Valandre Mirage that I'm considering selling. PM me if interested.

Richard

John Markee

@stormwaterpro

I own a Montbell, UL spiral, down, #3 bag purchased about 1 year ago. Love the weight, construction and dual direction zipper. I'm a warm sleeper so I very rarely close the zipper completely. I use the bag for 3 season hiking where temperatures have varied from 30 to 50 degrees F.

My issue with this bag is I tend to over heat and sweat even in low temperatures. It doesn't seem to breath very well, so condensation builds up inside. Montbell told me this is more or less the way the bag is – it's not Goretex!

I was wondering if this is the same with WM and FF brands?

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

John Markee- you mean this bag :
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=797&p_id=2321143

Lower limit: -1C
    Fill power: 650
    weight: 879g/ 1lb 15oz

The WM Ultralite is lighter and warmer .

Richard Lyon – Valandre looks good although i rather buy the WM ultralite which is 49 grams havier but has 88 grams more down fill

what do you think?

Marquis Toson
    Spectator

@mktoson

Locale: Southeast

Arthur, I think John meant this bag:
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=795&p_id=2321151

[EN TESTED]42˚F/ 5˚C(Comfort), 33˚F/ 1˚C(Lower Limit), 6˚F/ -14˚C(Extreme*)
    *We do not advise consumers to reference the extreme rating for general use.
    800 Fill Power Goose Down
    12-denier Ballistic Airlight Nylon
    100 wash rated Polkatex® Durable Water Repellant
    [Max User Height] 5' 10”
    [Inside Shoulder Girth] 57”~68”
    [Inside Knee Girth] 46”~55”
    [Stuffed Size] φ5.1” x 10.1”
    Color: BASM(Balsam)

[Weight] 1 lb. 4 oz.
    [Fill Weight] 11.0 oz.

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

My single-arrow quiver = WM Ultralight

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Marquis Toson – this bag is too cold, only 11 oz. of down fill and en rating of 1C. i think it's too. i think that -7 rating is the most accurate for high altitudes in Europe. so i checked the down hugger #1 which is rated to -9C/15F , but it's really heavy . 2.5 lb/1048g. and expensive 419$.
    i still lean towards the WM ultalite . any ideas?

Jason Picard – sorry friend , English isn't my first language. what do you mean by that?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have the Down Hugger UL Super Stretch (ridiculous naming convention, I know) No. 2. Have had it for three plus years and it still looks brand new. Handles everything I throw at it from camping under the stars, to tarps to tents. 20-ish to 60-ish, where I just sleep on top. Should probably get a 40 version here shortly, I've (it's) earned it.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Can't find it in the Mont-bell website, only seeing #3 and #1.
    can i have a link please.

David Ure

@familyguy

I got rid of my MB#3 as the baffles were underfilled.

FF or WM is the way to go. WM if you want a bit lighter and FF if you want a more durable, water resistant fabric (UL models compared).

Here is a video on FF and the Nanosphere fabric: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS3SafL8N18

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is a video for you to see a comparison between the western mountaineering ultralite and a montbell super stretch(not the spiral),he mistakenly says the montbell is sewn though construction but you will still get an idea of what they look like side by side

YouTube video

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have the Montbell #3 too. The baffles do feel a little thin but the bag wraps around you well and, in my experience, has kept me pretty warm to around freezing temperatures.

I recently got my new Enlightened Equipment quilt. If I were you I would consider this quilt. It is way more lofty than my Montbell. The fabric feels nicer. It is a lot more versatile. It's even a little cheaper. I would wager that the 30 degree quilt has enough loft to take me to 20 degrees; it really puffs up big. Take a look at their site.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Sorry OP, looks like it's been discontinued. It's a 30 degree model. no. 1 is approximately 25F, and no. 3 is closer to 35F. I'm guessing they didn't need a middle model. Anyway, great bag. To me, lofty and warm. Quilts could work too, and are usually lighter. People love Marmot Heliums if you're looking for a more traditional bag. Lots of options these days. It's what I love about living in the future.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

WM, FF, and Valandre – That's the big three in the uber high quality sleeping bag arena.

I own 2 WM bags [Caribou 35F, and Alpinlite 20F] and one FF bag [Ibis 0F]. IMHO – I find the WM bags to have a higher level of workmanship and design than FF. The Alpinlite is a beautiful bag – it has far exceeded my expectations. It is a thing of beauty – both WM bags are. The wider bag [both the Caribou and Alpinlite are wider cut] is more comfortable for me and also allows for extending the range with a belay parka etc.

Valandre makes excellent bags as well. I've never owned or even touched one. They are highly sought after and probably have more of a following in Europe [they're French]. There are several Valandre dealers in the US as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools