Topic

Censorship again at BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Censorship again at BPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Im not accusing him of lying, I'm accusing Ryan Jordan of lacking leadership skills, communication abilities, honor, and integrity.

The contracts BPL makes with its members are worth less than I spent displaying them on this monitor.

It just sounds nicer the other way.

Sorry for any confusion, and I hope that clears it up.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

deleted

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Miguel. Cameron=sarcasm I laughed.

Sorry for any confusion, and I hope that clears it up.

Oops! Sorry! It's a cultural thing… Sarcasm doesn't go across very well in my part of the world, so I didn't think to deploy the sarcasm array.

Carry on! (@_@) Nothing to see here!

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Maybe Ryan went to Vegas, and Hangover style, doesn't realize that he gave away the admin password to his web domain. Could it be he's locked out from his own house? Wouldn't that suck for him?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Bwahahaha. Maybe Ryan's bluffing skills failed him after a winter under the Trailstar.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

deleted

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

This all makes for sad reading. I still enjoy the forums and get something out of them. To a great extent they are what we make of them (censorship aside). A few ideas that Ryan has talked about over the past year here, and in his newsletters, makes me feel that, for all his strengths, he is not the best person to be heading up a customer focused business.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Here's my crappy two cents……

I am confused…..

kids, tis hiking season !

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Folks,

{removed one paragraph from right here that was taking this thread off-topic, which did not make Ken very happy – giggle}

But again, let us focus on the real issues here, that Ken has been getting at for well over a week.

* There have been SERVICES which BPL has indicated to their paying customers that they would receive and for which BPL has failed to provide.

* BPL has a habitual habit of removing entire threads from the website without explanations. (which as I previously quoted from their ToS is their legal right)

* When a thread does come to the point where they decide to remove the entire thing, rather than just removing a few comments from the entire thread they instead to take the unfortunate course of action and remove the entire thread.

* Rather than addressing the concerns of its paying members, those who operate BPL have chosen to stay completely silent. (this too it is their right, but along the way it harms the community which they own)

When we start to see post after post that turns into threads that are a half dozen to a dozen pages long (and each page is 20 comments) this quickly turns into hundreds of comments by members, some of them paying members and some of them free account holders, it should be a sign to the powers-that-be that there are issues that need to be delt with.

I love BPL. I visit it a dozen or more times a day when I am not out on the trail hiking. I have used it to learn a few tips over the last few years. I have used it to buy and sell a lot of gear. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are just not a lot of options out there for those of us in the community and BPL is still #1 and until it is not, or I am removed from membership, I will probably keep visiting BPL. I am not here to be critical of the owners of BPL. I just want to know that the SERVICES which have been stated are actually being provided. I also want to see an internal audit of how BPL administration handles the removal of content and how notifications to its membership is presented.

Think that is pretty much all I have to say about all of this. I will let Ken and the rest of you continue to try to apply as much pressure on BPL ownership as you can to seek restitution on these maters.

John B. Abela
    HikeLighter.Com

(edited post to remove off-topic issues – sorry ken)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

;

edited out of frustration

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Seth,

I agree. Be civil, reasonable, and helpful. And that is what BPL used to be. Now it seems to be falling down and no one is at the helm to right the ship. Very disturbing. So, right the ship, make good on membership promises, and let us get back to the normally scheduled programming. (and if current leadership are not able to do this, hire an entity that can provide the service)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

For a better understanding of Ryan, his history, and his philosophies, go to http://ryanjordan.com/about-ryan-jordan

Scroll down to "Read Ryan's Timeline"

Read it and draw more informed conclusions – good, bad, or indifferent – about the man.

As a graduate of the University of Montana in Missoula, I can only really fault him for having chosen Montana State University. Still, he could have done worse out of state.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

@ Ken T re: "Miguel I am sure that when this is all over that BPL will be here, and better. I still have hope and energy to invest here."

+1

A theory: Maybe this tempest has been allowed to ferment and fester as a lab experiment for analyzing human coping responses under circumstances of stress and conflict.

If so, it's good to hear that you're keeping the faith, even as you peer up into the bottom of the microscope to try and find the mad scientist at work.

Other than the disturbing mystery of evaporating threads, and any possible connection that might exist between BPL and Jetboil's evident determination to drive away future customers, the behind-the-scenes machinations at BPL are not a big issue for me since I find real value here — frequently in forums, but mostly in the repository of articles and reviews.

Plus, I'm nearing the break-even point for my life membership. Thus, continuation of those benefits, as well as anything to come, will soon be pure gravy.

Sure hope it continues, and sincerely appreciate Ryan's efforts in bringing the whole BPL enterprise this far.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> There are really only three possibilities of how JB could have gotten it, two of them
    > in defense of BPL.
    First:
    One wonders how many guesses Jetboil could have made at what might be a reasonable email address for John. Given all the web sites John is involved with, sending the same email to a few guesses would not be difficult.

Second:
    You can probe systems for email addresses. See for example the web sites
    http://tools.email-checker.com/
    http://verify-email.org/
    http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/email_lookup/check-email.php

There are in fact tens or hundreds of these web sites which can do this for you. Five minutes checking ideas would get you a hit.

Somehow, I doubt BPL passed John's email address on to Jetboil.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

"It's just a web-site people. use it or don't."

Or, as film director Spike Lee once said, "If you don't like my movies, make your own."

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

As a new MLIFE member I am struggling to understand what this is all about. Especially since Ken have deleted most of his posts in this thread.

Can somebody give me a summary? To prevent deletion of this thread as well you can send it directly to me on e-mail: [email protected]

Ole

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Take Roger Caffin as an example of a moderator. If he sees some posting that violates the rules, he chops out the offending text and drops in some note about it being deleted or edited by Roger and why. That seems reasonable to most of us.

Other staff members have become unhappy with an entire thread, so they have deleted the entire thread without any notice of who, why, or wherefore. Most of us know who, and we can guess why, but it seems so unprofessional that it upsets some members.

It doesn't upset me much. I don't have a dog in this fight.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

^^^

Well said Ken :-P

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Oh good. Glad to see the status quo has been kept.

I'm off to the Porkies tomorrow.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Ken knows where I live and can come by and smack me around anytime – giggle – so I enjoy messing with him ;)

Enjoy your hike!!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools