Topic

Censorship again at BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Censorship again at BPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

I don't know RJ personally or pretend to speak for him but the way I see the situation is very different from the dominate posters on this thread.

RJ is going to run BPL in accordance with his vision and his values. Don't expect him to change his vision just because aggressive and vocal members on the forums want something different. BPL is his creation and he get to call the shots, which is exactly the way it should be. If you ever thought that buying a life membership would somehow place you on a board of directors you have seriously unreasonable expectations.

From what I have seen over the years on BPL RJ does listen to his customer base, but I don't consider that the curmudgeons to represent the customer base. I suspect and hope that RJ is looking at different and more valid indicators of customer sentiment and desires.

Don't expect RJ to engage in a constant forum dialogue on how to run BPL, it would be a black hole for his time and energy. This is a part time endeavor for him and it is not where he makes his money. He occasionally enters into discussions on the forums but it's minimal and I don't blame him, he would be sucked dry if he tried to respond to and debate every posting directed at BPL or himself.

Ron

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

deleted

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Ron, except that these forums are not something Ryan created himself. They have always almost completely been kept active by the members themselves. Ryan has almost nothing to do with them. Deleting a thread, especially on boards in which Ryan has been for most part absent for quite some time now, has got nothing to do with his "vision". As has been stated many times before, this whole website depends on member participation and the goodwill of the community. Ryan's vision would not exist without them. Deleting a thread without explanation is inconsiderate and alienating. It undermines what this freely given community is all about. And this IS paid for! We are NOT his employees. We have no obligation to keep silent about what we are thinking and feeling, about our objections. It baffles me why paying customers keep referring to Ryan's "vision", and forgetting that it is also the "community vision" that makes up a huge part of all this, which is not something that belongs to or can be controlled by, Ryan. Maybe that is the point of confusion behind all this… exactly who all this belongs to and who has a say in what. It would be very different if we were employees at BPL. Then I could understand where Ryan might have a say in what we say.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Maybe there is no Ryan Jordan. Maybe there is only this guy running BPL now:

Maybe the real Ryan Jordan has been driven into hiding by the slavering masses, completely frightened by the expectation that he will one day return and usher in the New Age of Ultralight Backpacking v2. I couldn't blame him, it's a lot of pressure, especially with so many people so bored of cuben already.

Maybe it's only us, maybe only we can usher in the New Age.

Maybe that's what Ryan wanted to show us all along.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Blasphemy (who in the world ever thought up that word?!?)!! That can't be BPL related! There are no trees outside the window! But hold on… is that a Patagonia Pneumonia (or whatever you call the orange colored windshirt, back there on the sofa? So this might be authentic after all!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Possibly, RJ's mellow has been harshed one too many times for him to come back.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ron,

One of the issues is that many folks are paying members, which makes things a little different, because they are now customers. Additionally, MLife members were promised many things to include being part of the BPL planning and strategy process, in exchange for their money. That hasn't happened. Not a big deal to me, but for those who ponied up $100+ with this expectation; and did not see it happen… that is a big problem. And the man who took their money has been silent for many, many months. So there are members who are going to be (rightfully) vocal.

I am happy if the forums just continue as they are. I don't want to be involved more than that.

But I do see the valid point some of our vocal members are expressing. So it is not just a forum, it is a business and there is a lot of customer dissatisfaction.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Those who have expressed their dissatisfaction around BPL's shortcomings in terms of delivery of product/service have valid gripes and concerns. I, too, am somewhat disappointed with some aspects of BPL and becuase I was unable to return an item and still have BPL vouchers because when I returned from an extended backpacking trip last summer I discovered that BPL's retail shop was closed for business. Still, I think that there is much that is of value on this site, though I'd like to see more articles.

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought up the point that RJ may be going through a difficult patch in his life? I think this community, founded by RJ, should keep this possibility in mind in this and other threads when voicing concerns and views regarding Ryan and his involvement in BPL.

P.S. Craig, I got a good chuckle from your post :~)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I don't want to start getting into Ryan's personal life here, online, for all to see. It is none of our business. And I also feel that the camaraderie of these forums has formed a rather amiable and somewhat close knit community. I think it is a bit harsh to be raking Ryan over the coals about something like this, when we have no idea what is happening. It's just too bad that Ryan hasn't at least explained a few things so that the tension is released and people can feel they can trust BPL. Perhaps it is working both ways, the longer Ryan stays quiet, the more tension builds up, but the longer people voice their strong opinions, the more Ryan will clam up. I don't know. That's the problem with non-communication and silence. They wreck havoc on any kind of relationship.

I think I'd prefer a lighter, more supportive, less confrontational way of addressing all the concerns that have been voiced. Getting harsh will create harsh feelings, and if that starts to dominate the BPL atmosphere then the wonderful community we have all been part of for so many years will be lost. That would be an awful shame.

But Ken is right, though; this is a business, with paying customers, and it is not acceptable that the customers are simply shunned. It would certainly cool the flames if someone at BPL came forward and addressed the issues. I don't think it's ever been this fractured before in all the years that BPL has been around. I can't even say if it is because Ryan is angry about something, feels insulted by us, can't get online, has lost interest, is unable to get unstuck, is planning something big, or maybe even hurt by all the anger directed at him. It would be nice if we could get over this big spanner in the spokes and become a better community for it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

is all I am asking for. The chance for a meaningful, productive discussion.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

Very fair to ask for a little acknowledgement. Just a few words. It need not be a dissertation.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

This is disappointing to read. Generally if I like a site and the people on it, I'm more than happy to chip in (regardless of whether the site is a business or a hobby for the proprietor). I'm frustrated over not being able to do so here. It seems like a really bad idea to buy passage on a ship where the captain won't tell you where it's going, or indeed even acknowledge the passengers who already have tickets. I've been following all these future of BPL threads and none of them show any inkling of an answer to the many relevant questions raised, nor either reaction or acknowledgement of the many ideas put forth. I guess I'll continue not to pay.

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow. This is like a black hole. Hello? Anyone there?

I thought Alan Dixon was also the founder of this site. We don't hear from him either.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Edited. Thought it was funny but didn't help matters.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Really neat troll dolls, Kat.

a b

@ice-axe

I am thankful for the folks here on BPL.
    To "meet" and discuss hiking related and even non-hiking related stuff here on BPL with such a diverse and varied group of people is the true gold of the internet.
    I am not sure what happened to Ryan Jordan, but I can at least be thankful for all you folks.
    At the worst, you Life members have paid about 5 years worth of subscription money up front.
    Myself, I have paid year by year.
    Either way I don't feel ripped off.
    The real payoff for me is having this site as a place to connect, learn, and share ideas.
    Sure there are free places to do this on the internet… but are they equivalent to BPL.
    You.. the people here, make BPL what it is.
    I hope RJ does return to the forums someday and give you the direction or whatever was promised to you life members.
    Until then I am still pretty happy with my 20 dollar investment in this site and by extension, all of you.
    Cheers

PS. Katharina, those are pictures of your daughter huh? What a cutie! You are an awesome photographer by the way!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Matt Black…..troll?

@Matt
    Edwards….no, not my daughter. My sentiments are similar to those you expressed in your post.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I hope Ryan's ok. Would like communication and follow-thru to be better.

That said, Roger Caffin is 'da bomb! I appreciate all the staff, members, and others who have contributed.

I love BPL and the community here. Thanks to all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I love BPL and the community here. Thanks to all."

+1

The website is running just fine on a day to day basis, with lots of interesting articles and threads happening. Why not lay off Ryan and let him deal with whatever he has to deal with in peace? Badgering him will accomplish nothing, as should be abundantly clear by now, and will probably make him even more reluctant to engage when he does get things sorted out. For those who insist on pursuing this fruitless course of action, I have a suggestion for an alternative approach: Ask for your money back. I'll bet you'd get a check in the mail in a week at most.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Fork

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

deleted

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools