Topic

Hilleberg Tent thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg Tent thread

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 862 total)
  • Author
    Michael F
    BPL Member

@michael73

Just a quick follow up…the Tarra was awesome on my winter trekking expedition in Northern Minnesota two weeks ago. It was very comfy for two people with his gear stowed in one vestibule and mine in the other.  While we were up there we set up camp on a couple of different frozen lakes. Here she sits on Griddle Lake, the 30th of December about 10 miles from the Canadian border. It was about 7 degrees Fahrenheit with light snow.

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Some pictures of the Unna overlooking Berkeley, CA last night.  Supposed to be a one-person tent but worked adequately for two adults and two small children:

By the way, that’s a Fenix CL25R lantern, on it’s second-lowest (out of four) brightness setting.  I got sick of my previous lantern which took two rechargeable AA’s needing recharged every week – this puts out way more light and lasts us around a month of daily use between charges…

It’s a great little tent, and perfectly adequate for two if you don’t mind being a bit close with your gear, or if you do what I do and just leave it outside elevated with a rain cover over it.  It is pretty much exactly what I expected from reviewing online, which isn’t a bad thing, but it doesn’t pleasantly surpise me at being roomier than my expectations, and is somewhat cramped due to the angles of the head and foot end walls.  Suitably long though, with mats pushed against the foot end and space left above head.  If you put your gear in the tent with you, it would have to go under or beside your legs.  This tent does support the useful style of gear lofts that only work in dome tents, which is a nice feature.

I’ll probably only use this for one adult and child in the future, with the other adult and child in another tent or hammock.  It would be perfect for a solo hiker traveling with a dog!  Or a parent with any age of child…  Or a close couple…

Next up, the Saitaris…

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Tried out the Saitaris – need to do more but let’s just summarize it up for now by saying it’s an awesome ride:

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

Locale: Norway

Hi! This might have been asked once or twice, but what’s the vestibules like in the Kaitum 3 (non-GT)? Big enough for two 60-70L backpacks, shoes and room left to cook?

I’m considering the Kaitum 3 and tent very similar to the Nallo 3GT; Helsport Fjellheimen 3 Camp. Might miss the big vestibule…

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

No problem at all. A Kaitum 3GT will have one “small” vestibule nearly the same as the Keron 3 photo I posted showing cooking in the winter, and one enormous vestibule nearly the same as the Anjan 3 GT vestibule I posted as well a short ways back in this thread. On the Kaitum, the normal vestibule would be shorter and slightly narrower than the Keron’s, and the GT one would be larger and more symmetrical than the Anjan’s. Plenty of room for everything you could possibly have!

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Oops, thought you asked about the GT. Anyways, check the Keron pictures I posted as a reference… The Kaitum 3’s would be slightly smaller but still loads of room. On that winter trip I had a large external frame pack, my wife had a large frame carrier, we had two sets of snowshoes, our son’s stuff, and plenty of food. Everything fit well in one vestibule and I cooked in the other.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

@julie_g You would have no problem storing the bags in one of the vestibules and cooking in the other. You just have to be prepared for less space. In winter that is really appreciated, but in 3-season use the “smaller” vestibules are huge compared to other tents out there. You should find some stores in Norway that has Hilleberg though, so you might just have a look and get a feel for it.

Sven
    Spectator

@sarek

Locale: Sweden

Hi. Long time reader. Now member. First post. I’ve been wanting to comment on the below.

”Thought I’d share something that sparked a good discussion on Facebook’s Hilleberg Owners Group. Hilleberg often talk about double poling their tents to make them stronger still. Trouble is, that increases the weight and bulk significantly. I’ve heard of some Red Label tent owners buying a set of 10.25mm poles instead of double-poling with 9mm lengths for the harshest conditions, but for owners of 1P tents, Hilleberg don’t offer 10.25mm pole lengths short enough.”

I use black label / 10 mm for both Unna and Allak in the winter. It’s great. There are 10 mm poles for all HB 1 p tents except from maybe the short Soulo pole (HB part number for the 344 cm long 10 mm Soulo pole is 0318360). Akto and Enan have the same pole length as Nammatj 2. I am pretty sure there has been a picture of a Soulo sporting 10 mm poles up until recently on the official HB web site.

Sven
    Spectator

@sarek

Locale: Sweden

Here is a pic from a trip a few weeks ago in the land of Hilleberg. Elevation approx 1100 m (3600 ft). Allak with 10 mm poles and I use it as a solo winter tent when I have the pulka.

• Strong and very stable in high winds
    • Easy to operate alone in strong winds
    • Good ventilation
    • I love the fact that the pulka fits in the vestibule
    • Two vestibules
    • Small footprint

Dislikes:

• Sloping walls in head and foot end. I am 180 cm and use 4 mm CCF, Xtherm and WM Puma GWS and I usually touch both ends.
    • Time consuming to pitch, miss the simplicity of Unna and Nammatj
    • Vestibule is small for melting snow
    • Both vestibules possibly exposed to wind due to asymmetrical shape

When I wet my hat getting in and out of the sleeping bag I so much wish for a Tarra, Nammatj or Keron. But… the pulka would not fit in Tarra’s vestibule and I prefer the the clip based tents (so much easier to operate, especially alone, in strong winds) and the strength of multiple pole crossings.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@tiramisu

I can’t believe I discovered this thread over the weekend…AFTER I’ve hoarded a green Staika, two green Unnas, a Windsack, a red Rajd, and just received the green Kaitum 4GT and sand Jannu last Monday.

Last month, I read through advrider.com’s Hilleberg thread of 1150+ postings and really appreciate their tent selection based adaptability to terra incognito. They are mindful of volume and weight but are not obsessive gram-counters.

Due to archaic NY & NJ laws, Hilleberg cannot have a retail presence in these states so I’ve been relying on the Hilleberg catalog and youtube videos for reviews and pitching instructions. In this town, I know only one other person who has a Hilleberg but he didn’t want to lug his Tarra around to show me.  I considered Exped but their warranty is too limited; Helsport seemed too rare, and Fjallraven cannot ship tents to NY.

MY COLLECTION (HILLEBERG AND NON-HILLEBERG) AND RECOLLECTIONS:

BIG AGNES COPPER SPUR UL3 MtnGlo

My very first tent was Copper Spur UL3 MtnGlo. I didn’t know about Hilleberg until after I bought this. Although I love this tent, too–less than 5 lbs. and very roomy for two; even roomier for one–it has too much mesh for my comfort in temperatures below 50F. While camping in the low 80F, it was too hot with both doors open and in the shade of the forest. It was waterproof during solid rains–despite the mesh, condensation created puddles within the inner tent–but it hasn’t been exposed to heavy winds yet. Is it wise to have a tent just for moderate to high temperatures?

SIERRA DESIGNS SFC SOLO ASSAULT TENT (akin to Mountain Hardwear Hunker 1 Tent)

This, too, was a pre-Hilleberg purchase. This is a hardy, tactical tent with three poles, two entrances and 22 sq ft of interior space. It’s ultra-low interior height of 30″ makes moving around difficult, especially with a Western Mountaineering Puma and a 3.5″ sleeping pad. The single-walled design is colder than a double-walled tent and it had a lot of condensation in a snowy environment. At 4 lbs 6oz, it’s negligibly lighter than the Unna but the Unna is far more comfortable for my use. I’m going to sell this tactical tent.

CLARK MARK2

This hammock can be used on the ground, too. I have yet to pitch this outside on the ground or between the trees. The quality is terrific but I would not be comfortable in temperatures below the mid-60s F because I run cold. Also, I probably would end up cramming my backpack next to my legs.  At 3 lbs 8 oz without the tree straps and drip rings, the Unna is not much more weight for a lot more comfort. The good thing about the Mark2 is that it is a hammock.

STAIKA–MY FIRST HILLEBERG

For my first Hilleberg, I wanted something from the Black Label. The 1.5 lbs weight savings of an Allak seemed negligible. The Staika has served me and my 8 year-old son well for a year and a half. A few weeks ago, I pitched it on a blustery ridge in Harriman State Park after nightfall. This site was poorly chosen by my camp mates who arrived in the early afternoon. After pinning down all the guylines and the top vent cover, there was no flapping noises whatsoever and no breeze made its way under the outer tent. The next day, the rest of my camping group relocated their tents due to the immense discomfort. We were comfortable so we stayed put. One morning, a crow drummed the outer tent with its beak. Thank goodness, there wasn’t a hole.

I appreciate Staika’s two entrances that can fit our backpacks (85L and 50L). I carry the tent; my son carries the sleep gear. I’m looking forward to warmer weather to try out the mesh inner tent. At 4.5 feet tall, he has some difficulty getting to the upper clips of the Staika. Regarding condensation, I experienced a little in our first winter camp out at Camp Pouch in Staten Island. However, it was not pools of water like with my Copper Spur UL3 while at Floyd Bennett Field–a few minutes walk from the shores of Jamaica Bay–nor my Sierra Designs SFC in February in Harriman State Park.

UNNA

I got the Unna in January for a solo outing in Camp Schiff, Long Island (Camp Wauwepex for you oldies). That weekend, it dumped a foot of snow and I could witness the stretching of the Unna outer tent. I decided to sleeping in the lodge for convenience: I didn’t want to get up at night to clear off the snow and I preferred my tent to be dry before we left early in the morning. Shannon at Hilleberg said that the stretching was normal and that it would have been good to adjust the stakes during or after the snowfall.

It’s easy to move around within the Unna even with my 85 pack next to me. The double-walled set-up is warmer than my single-walled Sierra Designs SFC Shelter. No condensation during this camp out. There was enough room to place my boots between the inner and outer tents so I didn’t have to detach the corner of the inner tent.

An opportunity arose to get another Unna + mesh at a low-ish price so I snagged it since my son will be sleeping on his own. He can set up the Unna by himself. I considered getting a Soulo but he thought that the inner area was too small. Still, I might trade one of my Unnas for a Soulo just for variety.

WINDSACK

The Windsack is a 3-person bothy bag and works well in keeping the heat in. Me and a colleague sat on a bench in the snow for more than an hour. The warmth wasn’t apparent until we exited the windsack. I got this for a ski trip but that didn’t happen. Anyway, this item is a keeper.

RAJD

As urban dwellers with no backyard, we have yet to set this up. The red is somewhat sheer and I prefer the privacy of the green tents. If I could trade it for a green one, I would be happy. I thought this might be a good emergency shelter if I wasn’t going to be toting around my Unna but I may just let this one go.

NAMMATJ 3GT

I bought a used Nammatj 3GT but the previous owner sent it dirty and smelly so I returned it. Although I don’t really need the length at the foot end of the Nammatj, I didn’t really like the acute slope. I figured that the Kaitum GT or the Keron GT at 3 feet longer would give me a whole different experience. Even the Jannu has more height towards the foot to allow for more area to sit upright.

JANNU

It was only after seeing Alexander Barber’s interview with Petra did I consider the Jannu. After pitching this indoors this weekend, I know that it’s a keeper. There are times where I would rather have our gear together in one vestible  and carrying 7 lbs may be preferable to the Staika’s 9 lbs. Also, it seems hardier than an Unna for solo camping. They were out of green so I thought I would try sand but it’s too sheer for privacy if I were to use the outer tent only. There is no mesh inner tent for the Jannu. I wonder what is the highest temperature that would be comfortable in a Jannu.

KAITUM 4GT

After much back and forth between the Keron 4GT and the Kaitum 4GT, the ability to create a porch with the extended vestible was the deciding factor in selecting the Kaitum 4GT. If the Keron 4GT had the porch capability, we would have gone with that. The Keron GT’s outer tent has solid and mesh options for the vents and door, whereas the Kaitum has only the solid. I’m sure we can retrofit the vents with mesh option. It’s more time and money but it will be nice to not have bugs coming through the vents. The Kaitum 4GT is spec’d to be a little more than a pound heavier than the Staika. However, with the footprint, it tips the scale to be a car-camping tent for me. Despite a sloppy job pitching this indoors, the palatial feeling is lovely.  At 16′ 5″ in length, it’s a lot of tent but Zachary at Hilleberg said as long as the inner tent is on level ground, the vestibules could be pitched over rocks or tree stumps.

OPTIMIZING OUR COLLECTION

After reading the entire Hilleberg Tent Threads on both backpackinglight.com and advrider.com, I realized that I didn’t really consider everything. Instead of a Staika, I could have considered the Tarra for the larger vestibules and more inner volume at the same weight or Jannu for a smaller footprint and two pounds less. I won’t relinquish the Kaitum 4GT. I may let go one of the Unnas even without getting a Soulo. Since my son has many camping decades ahead of him, all of our tents will have repeated use.

For my personal preference, I will stick with double-walled designs, the outer tent ending at the ground, and an inner tent will always have the ability to be completely sealed. The outer/inner/footprint pitching combo is a blessing since our outings usually include inclement weather and setting up camp after sunset. Although I will explore other tent makers, I’m satisfied with Hilleberg’s offerings.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

If anyone has been thinking of picking up a 2015 Enan, backcountrygear.com just put up a 10% off discounted gear making the 2015 Enan only $400 + shipping.  Red color only

Po
    BPL Member

@porterscout

Had a fair amount of experience with a Nammatj 2 now.

Some observations:

The double vents are fantastic, not just for air flow but for their window effect. An unforeseen perk to be inside and able to watch the snow or endless rain come down.

The 10mm poles seem incredibly strong, but the double ended 3 point guy lines running off of the vents are what especially make this tent stronger and more stable than a Nallo in heavy snow and wind. The symmetrical tension is highly effective.

There are a lot of circulating opinions on tunnel tents. Sloping ends, snow loading, etc. After using this tent in heinous wind (>60MPH), substantial snow loads, and a myriad of typical three season conditions my opinion of them is firm. For my uses, I’ve found the Nammatj 2 to be the most versatile, effective, and high value 4 season shelter.

As a two person tent, I find it highly livable for me and a significant other and my small-medium dog. If I’m sharing the tent with someone I don’t want to be relatively close to why the hell would I be sharing a tent of any size with them anyway? And why should I or my significant other carry more weight all the time just so some stinky tall guy who I don’t wanna share a tent with anyway can have his own vestibule thanks to my calories and $$$??? Bottom line, the tent ain’t no princess palace for two long-legged fellas who don’t wanna tangle. As for me, I couldn’t ask for a more balanced mobile two person, more comfortable double-wall solo basecamp, or more unsinkable single walled fortress.

Sloped end: Yes, a long high loft bag can brush against the end of the inner. I only see this being an issue for careless folks on extended outings in really awful weather that won’t let up. When this happens, it’s probably between 20 and 40 degrees out and IMO if you don’t know how to prevent this becoming a serious issue than you shouldn’t be out in those conditions for more than a night anyway. If you are really tall and can’t abide the slope then get a Kaitum or something else. For everybody else, use the time you saved stomping out a smaller platform, inserting one less pole, and burying two less snow anchors to take one minute out of your day and pack the inner separately of the wet outer tent. Sleep backwards, your dreams won’t mind. Use a synthetic over quilt if you wish. If you included a little sunshine in your itinerary use the magic of evaporation to shazam that pesky frost to the heavens. Best of all use that thinking cap, or don’t cause it’s rarely an issue and you’ll probably live through it to sell the tent anyway. Frost and dew on everything is an inherent issue with low temperatures, in any tent.

Only one stinking vestibule: I stash the two empty packs and sometimes my ski boots between the inner and outer walls, just unhook a toggle and slide them out of the way before clipping the toggle back. You’ll never know they were there until you’re ready to move camp. The whole of the vestibule can then be used for food storage and cooking. There is plenty of room even to enter and exit while melting snow. Dry things can be stashed around the pads in the tent, or hanging from the line. If I ever need more space I could bring a small pyramid along for less weight than a GT, but so far I am very happy I chose the standard vestibule cause it’s plenty.

I use the outer only when I am alone in winter or really nasty shoulder season when I want more protection than my Mid can readily provide. To me it’s an ideal foul weather solo single wall. Modest footprint, tons of room, great ventilation. It sheds snow and strong wind much better than any size pyramid shelter.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@tiramisu

Hey Po, your Nammatj 2 looks great!

I bought a used Nammatj 3GT but it wasn’t in great condition so I returned it and opted for a new Jannu because it’s free-standing–well, mostly. Although it has a similar interior config to the Nammatj (length, width, single-entry), the closed end of the tent isn’t as acute and seems comfortable to place my head there.

The Jannu and Kaitum 4GT hasn’t been used yet due to a heavy class schedule so I’m vicariously camping through others. The plan is to get 10mm poles for all of my Red Label tents when more $$ rolls in.

Do you use the Hilleberg footprint? I’m thinking about using polycro instead of the Hilleberg footprint to save on weight.

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

I’ve been looking for a solo tent that fit my needs and comfort level, and while doing this I’ve been figuring out what works for me and what doesn’t. I’ve been through a Hilleberg Akto, TarpTent StratoSpire 1, HMG Ultamid 2, Helsport Reinsfjell Superlight 3, Helsport Fjellheimen 3 Camp.

I realized that a nordic style tunnel tent would probably fit me better, and after spending some nights in my 3-person Helsport Fjellheimen (very similar to Nallo 3GT but with dual upper vents), I decided to try a Hilleberg Nallo 2GT (pictured below from September 2nd). Loved it, especially having the ability to open the front, but there was some minor details that I liked better on my Fjellheimen than the Nallo; dual upper vents, the side door, the bottom vent, the ability to tighten up the inner slightly, mitten hooks vs toggles for the inner, being able to roll the guylines up and tie them away in a band, and not having a metal wire in the vent. It’s definitely going to be my base camp/weekend hiking tent next year, but I’m not sure I want to bring it with me on longer distance hikes… I might go full circle and try out an Akto again, but is it possible to cook in the vestibule?

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I cook in my Keron vestibule during bad weather but would never attempt to do the same in my Akto.  Of course I use a white gas stove.

Anyway, it’s good to see this Hilleberg thread stay alive after 31 pages.  I’m still heavily addicted to my Keron tent and use it on all my solo trips.  While not perfect it’s perfect enough.  Some recent pics in the mountains of TN/NC and Georgia—

This was taken in January 2017 in the Bald River wilderness of TN.

Had a skunk come for a visit on the Warrior’s Passage trail on Tobe Creek.

A surprise snowstorm on May 7, 2017 atop Bob Bald in TN.

The usual accoutrements of idiocy—My tent set up on Crowder Branch trail in Citico wilderness.  Notice the faded red color as the kerlon gets old.

Taking down my tent in Curbow Fields on the Wolf Ridge trail in Big Frog wilderness.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Tipi…

I know you used to have a Staika…I used to have an Allak, but am considering a Keron. One of the things I used to like about the Allak was that in a snowstorm I could reach through the top vents and actually tap the outer tent to get the snow to slide off the top of the tent.

Is there a way to do this in the Keron? It seems to me that you would have to tap the yellow inner hard enough so that it touches the outer in order to get the snow to slide off the top.

However…maybe this is not that big of a deal….thoughts?

Thanks!

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I’ve often pushed the inner tent up against the tunnel fly to dislodge snow but realistically speaking in a substantial snow you want to go outside and do a thorough removal—both from the top and the sides and around the base perimeter.

Plus a dry Hilleberg tunnel once wet with snow will shrink up and get slack and you’ll need to go out anyway and tighten peg loops and guylines after removing the ice and snow.  Then again, it’s alright too to just sleep in and let the tent get covered, unless it’s a 2 foot snowfall thru the night.

This pic was taken on the Brush Mt trail in February 2016 when I got caught in a series of 5 blizzards.  The snow piles up and eventually falls off the side of the tunnel.  It’s livable.  I’m obsessive and like to go out and clean off the tent and scoot snow away from the bottom perimeter which I did after this pic was taken.

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

@Tipi Walter

Thanks, that’s what I guessed. Then I might be better off using my Nallo in most cases, but if I’m expecting good weather on a 5-day hike I’m tempted to try a Helsport Reinsfjell Superlight 2 (modded to tighten the head end and sides)…

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

The Nallo is a popular tent with many backpackers . . . and I used the Nammatj 3 for several winter trips but like with the Staika found the inner tent too short with its angled foot end which repeatedly kept the bottom of my down bag wet with inner tent condensation.  The higher your sleeping pad and the higher your bag loft the more you’ll rub up against a Hilleberg’s end wall, unless it’s vertical like Kaitum/Keron etc.

Here’s my Nammatj in action during a winter trip to the Upper Bald wilderness—

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

Yeah, it does slope a bit, but I’m only 5’6″ so I haven’t had any problems with my sleeping bag getting wet. And even then I’ll probably just throw a jacket over the end of the sleeping bag. Finding a solo tent is hard! But it’s fun trying ;)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Nallo 3gt is my only group tent now, it’s a nice setup. I have used a Kaitum 3, Nammatj 3gt and Keron 4gt for many winter trips so have a good measure of what works.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Tipi Walter,

Just checked this thread again and noticed you had answered my question regarding snow management with the Keron….thanks, it’s much appreciated!

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

As the thread starter for both of these Hilleberg mega-threads on this site and advrider.com, I’m glad to see they are still alive and kicking.  Thanks to all the folks who have continued to share knowledge and experiences about these great tents (with whom I have no affiliation).

Tipi Walter, I love seeing your Keron 3 photos.  You get good use out of it.  One day I’ll own a Keron…it is one of the few Hillebergs that has alway eluded me.  I’d add the Tarra to your list of tents with a vertical head and foot ends, although it is heavier than some tunnels.  The first Hilleberg I ever bought was my Tarra, and I still have it (along with a Nammatj 2).

Po, great review of your Nammatj, thanks for sharing.

PS- I probably sound like a broken record by now, but the Tarra is the unsung hero of the Hilleberg line, IMHO.  All the beefy strength of a dome with 5 pole crossing points, and yet much better interior space than any other dome short of a 4 person.  For me comfort is all about the headroom, and the Tarra has more than even the Saivo, and way more than the Staika or Jannu.  Unless free-standing vestibules are an absolute must, I just see no reason to ever pick a Staika over a Tarra…same weight, stronger design, much roomier…the Tarra is an inspired design.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Southern NM region.  Cold, clear, windless, night.  Actually had some condensation on the inner fabric.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Excuse me for not thoroughly searching this thread, but would anyone like to share experiences with the Enan? I’m tempted to try it as a replacement to my old single wall Tarptent Moment. Is the Enan a coffin in comparison? Can the door be left open in the rain?  Can anyone compare the space to other popular tents like the Gatewood/ Serenity, Duomid and solo inner,  Fly Creek tents,  or other Tarptents?

A few here have called it great or perfect, but are their any detractors? The main review gives it so much praise and casually says at the end it’s too small for him to use. I’m short but I like to stretch out and camp with a tall/bulky cold weather sleep setup.

I’ve also seen a reference to Kerlon 600 having some shortcomings. I’d love to hear about the disadvantages vs Kerlon 1000. I’m more inclined to carry a few extra ounces if it prevents sagging and misting.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 862 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools