Topic

Hilleberg Tent thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg Tent thread

Viewing 12 posts - 851 through 862 (of 862 total)
  • Author
    Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

“I believe they have since upgraded all their red label tents to match their black labeled tent in terms of guyout webbings and zippers. Just if anyone ran across this thread and was considering between the two.”

You’re right and it’s depressing.  I recently had to upgrade to a new Keron 3 and noticed the once beefy guyout webbing tabs are the same as on my buddy’s Kaitum red label tent.  And as mentioned the zippers are more flimsy.  AND YET . . .

When I got my first Keron many years ago it was listed at 8 lbs 10 ozs—even with the heavier tabs and zips.  Now the same tent comes in at 9 lbs even.  So much for using lighter materials.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

At 8 lbs, 10 oz, the move to 9 lbs shouldn’t stress you too much.  You were willing to carry the original weight.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Tipi,
    I read Garrett’s comment to mean the Red label tents now use the heavier bits, not the other way around.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

No, the black label Keron uses the red label guyout tabs—and smaller zippers.

Here’s the old Keron guyout webbing tabs—12 total on the Keron 3 tent.

And here’s the new black label Keron 3 webbing tabs—

I emailed Hilleberg about the surprise and they said yes, they went with the flimsier tabs.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Franco, you read my comment correctly. Im glad Tipi was able to shed more light on the subject.

When I called Hilleberg they said they now use the same guyout tabs and zippers for their red and black label tents. I just assumed it would be for the better… I guess they felt the beefier tab and zippers weren’t needed. At least I hope that was their reasoning.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

My friend Hoppin John’s Allak uses the “flimsier” guyout tabs and he had one rip out during a hell storm on a NC open meadow bald.  When I heard about it I blamed the “substandard” red label tabs—now my black label tent uses the same dang tabs.

And the smaller zippers are a real issue or could be.  The reason I buy black label is to get beefier zippers at all costs.  Not anymore.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I can understand Hilleberg’s reasoning about the lighter tabs (gros-grain vs webbing). Suppose the lighter tab will only hold 100 kgf: will the tent withstand 100 kgf tension on a pole? (No way is the correct answer here.)

What matters more is how well the tab is sewn in place. If you can rip the tab out of the seam, that is probably NOT a fault of the tab but of the sewing.

One could also argue that the lighter gros-grain material is a better structural match to the pole sleeve material compared to heavier webbing. This also matters.

Zippers are a slightly different matter. If you are careful with them, #3 plastic coil-coil zips are quite able to withstand any conditions. I will cite my tents as proof of that.) But Hilleberg has to allow for novices and careless teenagers who do not take care, so they have to go up in strength.

I remember asking a local mfr why he was using #8 zippers in his sleeping bags (when I was using #3). His answer was a single word: ‘returns’. People trash gear and expect the mfr to repair at no charge.

Cheers

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I agree with all the points Roger made. That said, I would still prefer a beefier zipper.

After reading 35 pages of this thread “thanks covid-19” I chose to purchase the Soulo. Hopefully, space won’t be an issue at 5’10”. I was contemplating the Nammatj2, but since I’m a restless sleeper, I had concerns with the flapping noise during high wind.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Garrett,

I have a Soulo and am just over 6’1″.  It isn’t palatial by any stretch but it works.  It is also the defacto strongest tent I have ever used.  Have fun.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Thats good to know. I’ll be sure to provide others with my feedback once it arrives.

Wangle
    BPL Member

@wangle

Bumping an older thread here.

I recently bought a Hilleberg Saivo because it wast the closest, available tent to a Keron 3, an expedition tent that I would use on Denali in a couple years.  It’s a tent I would use for 2 person multi-day trips and multi-week trips.  After camping out in the Saivo a couple times, it seems like it’s a bit overkill for most SoCal winter trips.  We would have to purposely plan to chase gale winds or camping on exposed summits to put the tent to the real test.

I’m considering swapping it out for a Kaitum 3 when they become available.  I think red label would be more than enough for 2-5 day trips and picking our campsites carefully.  Or keep the Saivo and take the weight penalty and be covered IF something unpredictable were to happen.  What do y’all think?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

That is such a bomber tent!! Keep them both???

Viewing 12 posts - 851 through 862 (of 862 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools