Topic

The “naughty” heavy luxury items that you just don’t wanna leave behind!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The “naughty” heavy luxury items that you just don’t wanna leave behind!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Aaron >

Yep, my TT Moment solo tent is a gem and I agree with you, a few more ounces for a fast setup and COMPLETE protection from wind blown rain, critters and crawlies is worth it. Heavier than a Cuben tarp but SO much better.

My Prolite reg. mattress is a just bit heavy compared to a Ridgerest CCF pad but much more comfortable. And for 8 hours a night I need that comfort. Any tiny discomfort of a few extra ounces on my back is way offset at night.

And my REI Kimtah eVent parka is durable enough yet light enough that a lighter but flimsier Dri Ducks or Frog Togs parka is out of the question.

So my "heavy" items are really not that heavy except by UL standards. They all fall under the lightweight category. Experience combined with prudent shopping gets us to a reasonable carried weight. (Oh, my, I just said that naughty word – shopping!)

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

I've managed to cut my base weight in the "essentials" category to 9lbs, 9 oz, and so my luxury list includes an even 2 lbs consisting of:

Glasses Readers 0.70
    Camera Equipment Panasonic LX3 w/ strap 9.80
    Binoculars Zeiss 10×25 7.10
    Entertainment Kindle 8.20
    Fishing Gear Tenkara AYU 13ft 3.70
    Fishing Gear Fly Case, Foam 0.80
    Fishing Gear Forceps, Streamworks Micro w/ Scissors 0.60
    Fishing Gear GG Hip Pocket, Large w/ Tenkara Line and Tippett 1.20

The Kindle is a new addition. A new toy that I love, and capable of pdf files, so I'll be adding favorite chapters from guide books, flora and fauna books, etc.

Andrew Baxter
    Spectator

@adb0406-2

My buddy didn't bring condoms on a trip once and his wife got prego. That is a few oz. I can't live without.

Other items:
    My camera is about 6oz. (a must for me, got to remember the hike)
    Wet butt wipes are about 2oz. (nothing worst than buffalo butt on a hot hike)
    Book
    2 extra AAA batteries for head lamp. (I am a slow reader)

I am different than most hikers. I don't bring a stove above 32 degrees, and I got drink coffee. So I have a few oz. to give.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

It doesn't come out in cold weather but I love to have it in the Summer. This little guitar, MYOG case, Blue Chip pick and tuner takes my pack from 12 lbs to 13 lbs. It has never caused me regret.

Donald Carter

@bipolarstroller701

Locale: Indiana

well I do like my regulaer neo air..pretty nice, could and will end up with a 25 large soon though.
    (so mine may go to gear swap soon)
    I have and am upgrading to quality,functional,comfortable gear ONLY
    I have put my body through hell over the years and I need comfort to sleep and I want a comfortable pack to carry it all(I now have a ULA ohm and 1 trip out so far…AWESOOOMMMEE
    BASE with 3 ltrs water and food 22lb…I am getting there.
    I also carry anew a deeply loved new member to the kit 8.2 oz slice of heaven (cant wait for the Ti version) Vapir NO2..it will turn the lights back on!!!
    also I have built a remote cannister jetboil,pocket rocket/fire maple and its 16.oz total setup and
    FAST and just a nice easy fool proof set..I think
    plenty of starbucks via and real creamers..mmmmmmmmm
    tyvek for a porch to chill and not have to be in a bug nest..cause I dont do bugs/snakes when i sleep
    a real towel, good seat, wraps shoes in at night,keep a cannister warm,wipe condensation..lot uses
    extra padding
    too many clothes still..
    $150 watch..that I only use to see temp really 2.2oz…ummmm
    a full 7oz cannister always..
    multiple light systems…why???
    Too much FOOD always I never got the hiker hunger I got hurt to earlyon PCT lost 28lbs in 3 weeks
    was giving food away
    and locally I never do more then 10-15 miles anyway and always have food, dammit I run out of coffee and creamer, when I stupidly sit my nice fresh jetboil sol full of creamy goodness on a rediculus incline..see VAPIR NO2..lol
    and dont have coffee for morning wake up..well see VAPIR NO2
    ANYWAY RAMBLING AGAIN… SEE vapir no2.. Peace..Bipolarstroller701

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I've tried many different packs over the past ten years, which ranged from a few ounces up to 6lbs. I finally settled on an 5 lbs. REI brand monster. Its heavy, I know, but it makes walking much more enjoyable and, in the end, I think that's most important. Also, it good for just about any type of trip I'm likely to take, summer or winter. One and done.

Also, I think good sleep is pretty important, so I lug around a Downmat 7. Super comfy and totally worth the weight penalty. It looks funny under a poncho tarp, but it's been done. Maybe I'll get the UL version some day.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My hammock. 100% useful and counts for shelter and sleep pad, but still added weight compared to my SUL ground setup. And no more rocks/roots/mud/bugs and a good night's sleep.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I always tell prospective volunteers for my service trips – a week of trail maintenance in the backcountry – that camp conveniences are essential for morale. What I call camp conveniences I suspect others on this thread might call naughty luxuries. Not actually needed to survive, but something that can make a rainy day less dreary or a blister easier to live with. Helps camping be fun, and fun (like safety) trumps saving a few ounces any time.

Mine? A hip flask with Jack Daniel's. My Kifaru field chair. Maybe a book. Spotting scope. Group cooking set-up for real food. Two-man tent for just me. Who knows?

Remember – it's supposed to be fun.

Richard

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Mine would have to be cooking related. If its less than 15 miles the frying pan goes in the pack with fresh ingredients. There is something about eating fresh gourmet in the wilderness that is exciting. For some reason or another I enjoy preparing and cooking more in the wilderness than I do at home.
    A close second would be the dslr with 10-24mm lense. That's a cool 47.2oz addition that can always be interesting to carry.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Exped Synmat 7 UL – weighs a pound, but is so comfortable and lets me sleep so well, it's now my regular pad.

If it's a sit-in-camp trip, I'll bring my butterfly chair. Without its bag! And also my Kindle. Nothing like sitting comfy, reading a good book by a mountain stream!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I bring the Settlers of Catan Card game. It weighs about 7 oz. but it adds great entertainment value. A game last 45-60 minutes and changes the game changes every time you play.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

On hut-based trips I have been known to take a full-sized version of Settlers, along with a gas lantern and suitable snack supplies for games that go deep into the night.

When tramping with a large group, a large wok over an open fire provides all sorts of gourmet options.

Taking a Synmat UL7 isn't a luxury, it's a neccessity!

Anonymous
    Inactive

my 17 oz Sling Light is essential together with a Kindle reader. these two items allow me to stay awake long enough to get a farly good night of
    sleep.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

A full bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year stored in a platypus. 2 lbs of heavy back breaking bliss. :)

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

"A full bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year stored in a platypus. 2 lbs of heavy back breaking bliss. :)"

Two Questions

does the platy disturb the flavor?

And what do drink the second night?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I actually use the wine preservation version of the platypus for that reason. Tastes great.

I carefully ration it so I can enjoy a little every night :)

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

I have also been known to take most of a bottle of Balvenie on a week-long hike. I store mine in a couple 350mL Nalgene flasks, though. Heavier, but I don't want to lose that precious stuff. Rationing is key.

Took the cribbage board and a deck of cards on the last 7-day hike since we had a layover day on day 5. It got a fair amount of use between three of us.

iPod always goes for times in the night when I can't sleep.

Fishing gear when there will be opportunities. I have carried fishing gear on a 7-day hike even when I knew there would only be one good day's opportunity. But the fish in seldom-angled locations are always so fun. I have hauled a dozen nightcrawlers to locations unknown – a quarter of a Walmart nightcrawler is irresistable to a remote trout.

A Kindle is fabulous at times – have one in a nice case with built-in LED lighting that operates off the Kindle battery. Great to be able to read after the sun goes down and not burn up the headlamp batteries.

FACT: I buy UL gear just so I can take luxury items and not have an insanely heavy pack.

Joseph Clark

@applevalleyjoe

Locale: Mohave Desert

My thoughts…almost exactly…except I take Aberlour Single Malt for "medicinal" purposes!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don't think these are naughty. But on my next trip, I'm probably bringing my Strumstick, which is like a little tiny guitar and weighs over a pound with the case. I'll probably bring a second pair of shoes, not so much as camp shoes, but just to try them out and see how well they do. I might even bring a third pair of shoes for the same reason. And food that isn't dehydrated.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I like to think I pack at comfort weight :-)

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

My dog
    Damn state parks

Arlan Beeck

@highpeakdrifter

At 190 proof, Everclear is 2.5 times as strong as regular 80 proof vodka, tequila, or scotch, making it the ultimate SUL party drink…

Classic SUL Marg…2 rounded teaspoons, (2/5 of an oz.), of Everclear. plus one envelope of Emergen-C Lemon-Lime, along with 8 oz, of water. Shake and drink slowly.

Not only intoxicating, but HEALTHY!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

With that, we need an ultralightweight hangover remedy.

–B.G.–

Jon Saffer

@bpguru

I have a preference for taking a good 18 year old scotch especially on cold nights. The weight gets worse because I like to drink it from a metal flask. To me scotch and plastic just don't mix.
    Other than the scotch I have a few smaller Vonnegut paper backs that I rotate on longer trips.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

I once overheard someone at a Fun Run saying they "ran so they could drink".

I'm so glad I discovered I could cut the weight of all those frivolous things like shelter and warmth and leave more space for Red Wine….

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools