Topic

The “naughty” heavy luxury items that you just don’t wanna leave behind!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The “naughty” heavy luxury items that you just don’t wanna leave behind!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

What are those "luxury" and not needed heavy items that you just don't want to leave behind? Post away!

The one item that I know I should leave behind, that I just don't want to leave behind on backpacking trips is my "Zojirushi" coffee thermos. It is 10oz. It is just so convenient and relaxing to be able to have hot coffee or tea at any point in the day in an instant with no preparation involved. Just sit down and enjoy the moment when you happen upon that perfect spot for taking in the scenery or enjoying your surroundings.

My other rediculously heavy stuff on some trips is my fishing gear on my hiking trips where fishing is a big part of the trip. I basically ignore weight when it comes to the fishing gear in favor of the "fun" factor.

Just some background about myself…I've hiked from a young age, but my hiking style has been anything, but ultralight. I hiked just with the cheapest gear that I could scrounge together from regular items around the house like K-mart silly heavy and large sleeping bags etc. and I have gradually crossed over to "dedicated" camping gear…although not necessarily the lightest stuff.

After cruising these forums for about a month now, I've already trimmed 15 pounds off my "normal" pack load :)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'm an illustrator and writer and though it is heavy, I prefer to bring a high quality sketchbook with me, and an adequate case with proper drawing and writing tools. The sketchbook in particular is rather heavy, but every time I don't bring it I regret it.

I also like to watch birds and wildlife, so often I bring a light pair of binoculars. More weight.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I really enjoy music of all different genres and especially jazz around a campfire.. My luxury item would be mini-speakers for my IPOD at 1.3oz (Dream Gear Audio Bug) Not loud just background music–get your groove on!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

BA air core pad.. it's pretty heavy but about the same as the therma rest i came from with way more comfort. i am a side sleeper so the little 1/4 nothing pads folks on here use will not work for me ever.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Lately it has been a NeoAir and candy bars. Doesn't sound that luxurious but for me they are.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"The one item that I know I should leave behind, that I just don't want to leave behind on backpacking trips is my "Zojirushi" coffee thermos. It is 10oz. It is just so convenient and relaxing to be able to have hot coffee or tea at any point in the day in an instant with no preparation involved. Just sit down and enjoy the moment when you happen upon that perfect spot for taking in the scenery or enjoying your surroundings."

You make me want to bring a thermos.

Me, No more tarps for me. I like a tent. Guilty as charged.

Cliff McKay

@cmckayrochester-rr-com

Locale: Upstate New York

I trim out other stuff so I can carry a ridiculously heavy DSLR, 12-24mm, 40mm macro lens and tripod. When I get home I have great photos of my friends and family that I can play with in my old age.

On top in a blow shot with the heavy camera

I think its worth it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Same here Miguel.
    A good sketchbook/journal (I've always liked the 5×7 Moleskine) and a good set of pens and pencils usually comes with me.
    I'm likely going to start carrying brushes and a basic watercolor and/or ink kit as well.

Another "luxury" that has become a staple is my Exped Synmat UL7. Unless drunk or coming off a 40 mile day, I have never slept as well in the mountains.

I did a quick overnight with my daughter last Saturday. I stayed up well past midnight writing beside the fire after getting her to sleep. That trip convinced me I'm going to start strapping a low, folding beach chair to my pack for mellow trips of this nature. When you're only walking a few miles and spending the majority of time in camp, why not?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Coffee. It really is a bit of a luxury, considering my lack of dependency on it. Items required include coffee specific mug and grounds.

Camera. I dont make any sort of living packing a camera with me, but photographing what I see is a natural practice.

Hersheys Special Dark. Its my night cap. Comes on every trip, all that fancy pants 80% cacao pilfered from Costa Ricans is rubbish, the best is made right here in the USA. ;-p

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

Somehow there are always more interesting rocks in my pack hiking out than I started with. One year I saw my wife and daughter stuffing a HUGE green rock into my pack – at least 8 lbs. I pretended I didn't notice and slung the pack on anyway. I complained the whole 12 miles down about the long day, how my shoulders were getting sore, and how I wasn't going to bring the buck knife and the 100 feet of rope next time. They giggled the whole way. Now we have a very nice glittering green stone next to our fireplace and a tale to tell.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I just finished reading Muir. Just about everything in my pack is a luxury now.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Only 6 oz. but, somewhat like Craig, it is nice to sit up right with the legs stretched out in the sleeping bag on those long dark nights Oct.-March when I am usually out. Getting too old to sit cross legged without back support for more than a little while.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Ahh, this gets to the core of why I'm "lighter" but not "ultralight":

–BA air core pad
    –REI tripod stool
    –fishing rig
    –camera, sometimes the DSLR
    –tent
    –camp shoes
    –smart phone
    –big, comfy, reliable Kelty Tioga

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

For me and my wife it's:

Extra clean clothes, for sleeping in and to wear while other clothes are drying after a wash.

Camp footwear so I can take off my soggy hiking shoes and socks, dry my feet and walk around.

Heavier camera than usual for especially scenic trips.

Binoculars when we expect lots of wildlife, e.g. in Alaska.

Umbrella (but that's an essential).

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

"I just finished reading Muir. Just about everything in my pack is a luxury now."

HAH. Yeah right? Stale bread and a coat, anything else is luxury.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I bring not one but TWO pillows son, one for my head and one for between my knees (side sleeper). People forget that you spend at least 1/4 to 1/3 of your backpacking time SLEEPING :) Might as well be comfortable for it. YMMV but I notice my hikes are negatively affected if I dont get a good nights rest beforehand.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Alite chair (18 oz.)
    Paperback book
    Chocolate

I like to lounge in camp.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Its 5oz heavier than my etOH stove, but it's so dang convenient to unfold the burner, screw it on the can, click the piezo and we're cooking. no measuring fuel, filling the stove, care not to spill,

I spent a lot of time and a handful of money on MYOG cooking equipment, but more and more I go out I think it's worth the weight.

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

It´s probably backpacking abroad.

Makes me carry passport, adapters for plugs and all those bits and pieces that become quite heavy after a while… And completely useless on the trails =(

So there´s "only" the luxury of being in a foreign country, no extra luxury on trail…

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

I leave a resupply with real milk and use it for coffee and cereal. When it runs out I use condensed milk in a tube for coffee and go without for cereal. I can't stand powdered milk.
    Placing a litre bottle (plastic – I'm not completely mad) loosely in a plastic bag I wrap it with some toilet paper that I keep moist to act as a cooler via evaporation. I get it to last about 3 days in cool weather before turning.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Slinglight chair for me. Just what my bad back needs after a day on the trail.

"My other rediculously heavy stuff on some trips is my fishing gear on my hiking trips where fishing is a big part of the trip. I basically ignore weight when it comes to the fishing gear in favor of the "fun" factor"

Look into Tenkara. I just got my pole but won't be able to get out until the following weekend. Can't wait to try it out. The whole setup is so light, it can't even call it a luxury.

Ray Bailly

@tempestv

Mystery ranch pack with a good frame- heavy, but worth it in the way it rides
    Tools and well stocked repair kit- I just like being prepared
    Plenty of warm clothes- Weather can change quick in Montana, so this borders on essential.
    GPS- I know my way around a map, but the gps is kinda nice sometimes.
    Journal
    Good food

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

I take a 1 liter Nalgene bottle. Nice to drink out of, works well with my Steripen. Can put boiling water in it. Easier to get in and out of side pockets than those flexible Platy bottles. Easy to clean. And the cap is attached. Lucky for me I don't have to carry much water where I hike.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

After reading a lot of gear lists on BPL and elsewhere, it seems that camera and fishing gear are always omitted. With those two left out, my base weight is just a few oz. over the 10-pound boundary between "UL" and "Lightweight." In practice, of course, I always take my camera and, unless there are no fish where I'm going, I always take fishing gear (Tenkara, but I have to add a frying pan and extra fuel since I dislike both raw and poached fish and usually backpack where fires are a no-no). That gets me back up to 12 lbs. even for base weight. I'm happy with it!

Being an old lady with arthritis and such, I need a comfortable sleeping pad, although my current KookaBay insulated air pad (3.5" thick) is only 13 oz., not too far out of line. I also get cold easily so probably have a half a pound more "extra clothing" than most. I have some medical problems that require extra toiletries. On the other hand, I've never felt the need for a chair (a sit pad and a log or rock to lean against work just fine for me) or an extra heavy camera.

EDIT, LATER: I forgot to mention that my hiking buddy (also part of my sleep system) is a 70-lb. mostly Labrador retriever. He is much calmer at night in a tent (which he considers _his_ crate) than under a tarp, and certainly deserves his own bug-free space. That means I need a 1.5 to 2 person fully enclosed tent. However, by using a ZPacks Hexamid Twin, I can keep shelter weight, including stakes, down to 17 oz. I've previously used a GG/Tarptent Squall Classic, 27 oz. with stakes. I dearly love the Squall Classic, but was attracted to the Hex Twin by the lighter weight. So far, I really like the Hex Twin, too! I'll decide after a summer and fall with the Hex Twin which one I'm going to sell–it may be a difficult decision!

IMHO, one reason for paring the weight as much as possible elsewhere is to allow for a few extra comforts or hobbies! HYOH and YMMV definitely apply here!

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

First off, my jetboil sol. The simplicity is killer and it does its job quickly and efficiently.

Second item, a fully enclosed tent (although the tarptent notch is fairly light). It is really nice to not have to worry about bugs and critters at night after a year or so of using a floorless tarp.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools