Topic

Nutella question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Nutella question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anybody know if Nutella will keep well at room temperature after being opened. I am considering adding it to my backpacking diet and want to keep it in a lightweight container/squeeze tube, but worry about it spoiling in the course of 8-10 day trips.

HELP!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I don't think I've ever refrigerated it after opening.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

As a veteran Nutella eater, from a very early age, I can assure you that it keeps fine after being opened at room temperature. If it's hot it will get a bit soft, almost runny. We never kept ours in the fridge. The only problem is that it usually does not last long because it's just too good. 10,20,30 days? No problem at all.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I keeps very well. Directions don't say to refrigerate. Warning: It will get solid if cold enough rendering it unspreadable. Just like butter.
    So yummy! I worked with an Italian mechanic that kept it on his nightstand. Have a spoonful in the night and go back to sleep.
    Can be addictive.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Nutella doesn't need refrigeration, it will do fine in your pack for up to that length.

Mmmmm, Nutella.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Tom for sweetening up the forum :)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I LOVE the stuff. What I did on my last big trip is carry a jar of the stuff that wasn't technically part of any meal. On warm days it would get very soft and runny. Be careful or it will get smudge all over you and your gear! When it was soft I would dip my grenola bars into it and eat them together. When it got cold it would harded up. Then I'd carve out a chunk with my pocket knife and eat it like chocalate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Thanks Tom for sweetening up the forum :)"

;0)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks for the quick replies, folks. Just what I hoped to hear.

Actually, I'm going to use Trader Joes Cocoa Almond Spread, but it's essentially the same thing. The only difference I can see is that it uses almonds instead of hazelnuts and contains 10 more calories/37 gram serving. Both have an excellent carb/fat/protein balance.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

" it's essentially the same thing"
    No, no, no. It's not the same thing. It's good, but not Nutella…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Nutella is 50% SUGAR
    The next main ingredient is vegetable oil…
    no refrigeration required
    Franco

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Tom,

Take a tub of peanut butter and spoon out the center. Then put your nutella in the microwave for a few seconds, just enough so the nutella becomes liquid enough to pour. Then pour the nutella into the center of the well in the peanut butter and take that on your trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Then pour the nutella into the center of the well in the peanut butter and take that on your trip."

Ohhhhhhhhh. But I don't have a microwave. :(

Anonymous
    Inactive

"No, no, no. It's not the same thing. It's good, but not Nutella…"

Y'got me there, Katharina. It's just more convenient, since there's a TJ less than a mile from home, and I figure it will do for backpacking. Oh, and almonds are my favorite nut. Still, there's a lot to be said for tradition. Maybe I'll alternate back and forth on consecutive trips…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Nutella is 50% SUGAR
    The next main ingredient is vegetable oil…"

Right. I was worried about the small amount of protein going bad, but I'm glad to hear it's not an issue.

It'll be a great addition to my diet.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Tom, the plastic containers it comes in aren't bad on weight/volume. And the lids are pretty secure.

If the amount you're planning to use is more of less than the factory plastic container, increase or decrease it in your menu so you use exactly a factory size. Take the aluminized foil seal off the top of the jar before starting out so you're not carrying it the whole way.

Or get through a container with 1-2 days left and use the container (which admittedly doesn't compact well) as a trash container.

And +1 on everyone above – ambient temps are just fine.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The jars actually tell you to NOT refrigerate it!!

And IMO the Trader Joe's stuff is better, it is less sweet. Nutella is OK, but once you eat the real stuff you realize just how sugary it is. Go visit Big Lots for many other versions a well, all imported.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Nutella also comes in smaller packets; I found some left over in a conference room a few years back. They look like the ones here:
    http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2010/2/5/bottle-jar-shaped-packets.html

I opened one only a month or two ago; it probably would have been much improved by heating, but was still edible. (Almost certainly expired by then.)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Nutella also comes in smaller packets"

Yes, I purchased a bunch of those from Minimus.biz to use for a solo trip this summer.

–B.G.–

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Save your proof of purchase. You are in for a refund. Check out the class action.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Duh, not really health food. People are morons.

https://nutellaclassactionsettlement.com/

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Trader Joe's is ok, but once you have the real stuff, there is no comparison :)
    Yeah, sweet and rich, probably not good for addictive personalities, but I always go for the real, rich stuff, since I don't over do it. ( exept for my 1/4 coffee regimen , I guess).

Edited for spelling

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! What a response. Thanks again to all who responded to my original post. You have given me everything I need to be able to use either Nutella or the TJ imitation intelligently, well….half intelligently, given my inherent limitations. Just one more example of what makes this community such a treasure.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You mean some people actually eat that stuff????
    Oh my gawd.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You mean some people actually eat that stuff????"

Aw, c'mon, Roger. It contains 2 out of the 4 basic food groups, saturated fat and sugar. It can't be too bad for you.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools