Topic

Nutella question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Nutella question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

It's a great part of a nocook backpacking breakfast on top pop tarts.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Rolling eyes at the class action lawsuit. Please. Get over yourselves people. It isn't any worse than what passes as "peanut butter" in most stores. The majority of what is sold has the same cruddy palm oils and sugar……

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

" it's essentially the same thing"
    No, I promise you it's not. I LOVE nutella, the TJ stuff is alright, but wholly disappointing when compared.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nutella had made some claims that are thought to be false advertising. Isn't that the deal with the lawsuit?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Somethings in life aren't meant to be imitated or tampered with, Nutella being one of them.

For example, Oreo knockoffs!? Sorry Newman, don't want your non hydrogenated oil fakes buddy. ;-p

I spooned out a healthy serving of Nutella this morning before my run on a heel of bread, that stuff is rocket fuel in the morning when paired with coffee.

Pair Nutella with marshmallow cream on any bready things and it's next to godliness.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The TJ's isn't a "knockoff" people. You all realize there is more out there than Nutella, right? TJ's is ALMOND not hazelnut based. Of course it is different!
    http://www.zentis.de/cms/eng/Brandworld/Breakfast-world/Assortment/Belmandel
    That is closer to what TJ's is making – the TJ one is from Belgium…….

My husband lived in Germany…..

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

http://www.zentis.de/cms/eng/Brandworld/Breakfast-world/Assortment/Nusspli
    That is their hazelnut spread.

Nutella is only so popular due to ads……there is better out there. As I said, go to Big Lots – they carry many imported brands!!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Eugene. Thanks for the morning run tip. I can't wait to try it.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Nutella is only so popular due to ads……there is better out there. As I said, go to Big Lots – they carry many imported brands!!"

I disagree big time.
    Having been raised in Europe, I can tell you that even in Switzerland where there is plenty of good chocolate, Nutella is very popular and the flavor is the reason. Believe me, the Swiss are not eager to buy chocolate or related products from another country.
    It's ok if you don't like it, we're all different.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not Nutella (which I also love), not even trying to be, but absolutely delicious!

Artisana Organic Cacao Bliss! It's raw chocolate coconut butter. I get it at my local organic grocer. Ingredients: raw coconut butter, extra virgin coconut oil, agave syrup, cacao, cacao butter. All organic. You can even get it in single serving squeeze packs, as well as a host of other organic nut butters.

'Tis about fabulous, and highly recommended. Also does not need refrigeration (in fact it's discouraged). Made in USA (in CA, I believe). More good stuff at http://www.artisanafoods.com

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I love me some Nutella too, but the ingredient list on Justin's looks a bit better to me. It tastes just as good to me too. And it comes in small squeeze packages as well as in the tub.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> It isn't any worse than what passes as "peanut butter" in most stores. The majority
    > of what is sold has the same cruddy palm oils and sugar……
    The majority – in the USA maybe.
    The stuff we get here in Oz contains peanuts and peanut oil.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You can even get it in single serving squeeze packs, as well as a host of other organic nut butters."

Hi Douglas,

I just visited the website. It is much better from a nutritional point of view. One problem: I couldn't get the nutrition facts for the squeeze packs and they don't give the weight for the nutrition facts on the jar page. Do you happen to know the nutrition facts for the squeeze packs?

Thanks,

Tom

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

>The majority – in the USA maybe.
    >The stuff we get here in Oz contains peanuts and peanut oil.

They term that "real" peanut butter here in the states. You actually pay a premium to pick up a good product, like Adams peanut butter, or the organic real peanut butter from Costco.

Everything else has sugar and other hydrogenated oils. It is like eating sweet brown crisco. Totally vile.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Do you happen to know the nutrition facts for the squeeze packs?"

Tom, I don't. But I just ordered some (I've only had the jars before) so I should have them by Friday.

My jar info is a bit confusing. Net – 8 oz. (227 grams). But the label says serving size is 2 TBS (32 grams) and that there are 8 servings per container, which would come out to more than 227 grams.

I think you could probably forget the 32 grams bit, and just figure the nutrition info is for one ounce.

If the packets say different, I'll let you know.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Everything else has sugar and other hydrogenated oils. It is like eating sweet brown crisco. Totally vile."

However, for too many of us, that is exactly what we grew up on as kids. It is an acquired taste.

–B.G.–

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

>However, for too many of us, that is exactly what we grew up on as kids. It is an >acquired taste.

>–B.G.–

True enough, Mr. Gross.

I guess my comment sounds a bit harsh in retrospect, but it wasn't meant that way. I grew up on the big cheap industrial containers of Jif with the generic white paper containers. It was the cheapest available, and that was all we could afford.

I got converted to the "One true path" of peanut butter by a girlfriend, and haven't looked back. Perhaps my visceral reaction is to the experience as well as the food. :)

Daine Scott

@daine-scott

Well yes nutella can be stored at room temperature. I have hardly refrigerated it ever.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools