Topic

You stink, Nalgene!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) You stink, Nalgene!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have no idea of what to make of his outburst. I will give him credit for one thing – while it is easy to maintain some anonymity on message boards, he makes no effort to do so. He links his profile to his domain, which is also registered to the same name with an address and phone number. So I hope it is a joke – albeit one in poor taste – rather than standard operating procedure.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I have not come to this website since my last anger filled post, for which I really don't apologize because I feel many of you are hypocritical, for one, especially in regards to my garbage wars post. However, I have thought about it, and heres my take: I am a photographer. If I sell someone a print, that print is going to last well beyond the life of the person buying it. And if it doesn't, I'm going to apologize to them profusely and replace it at no charge. So thats where I'm coming from. I expect products that are billed as near indestructable to be just that, and if they are food grade items, to be safe to consume and/or consume from. If BPA is even remotely linked to being a carcinogen, I feel its Nalgenes duty to replace ALL bottles that contain it. Its their fault for using it in the first place. Remember, their original style bottles, made from HPDE, are BPA free. It is the newer colored bottles that had BPA, so its something that Nalgene decided to add in addition to their non-BPA bottles. I call BS. To go back to my photographic example, if the print I sell or the frame I use happens to be acidic and the print yellows, thats MY fault and MY responsibility to rectify it. Its too bad major businesses these days can get away with such standards of practice.

Thats my 2c.

"I have no idea of what to make of his outburst. I will give him credit for one thing – while it is easy to maintain some anonymity on message boards, he makes no effort to do so. He links his profile to his domain, which is also registered to the same name with an address and phone number. So I hope it is a joke – albeit one in poor taste – rather than standard operating procedure."

I'm an Italian from Queens. That should explain things.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"So the consensus here is that Im being a cry baby, is that it?"

They're being exceptionally kind. While it's actually true that BPA is bad for you, it's also true that most people have had their Nalgene bottles replaced. I received a recall notice several years ago, and replaced my Nalgene bottle with a BPA-free Nalgene bottle. If you're only now figuring this BPA thing out, you have other problems.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"I'm an Italian from Queens. That should explain things."

Are you trying to insult the Italians, or the people from Queens?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Oh, give him a LITTLE credit for engaging in some self-deprecation. That's at least an improvement over deprecating everyone else…

And, I'd like to point out that not very long ago I was attacked when I called someone unreasonable for complaining that MLD wouldn't replace a backpack that they had MODIFIED- the implication being that I was wrong and MLD should replace the pack. The argument was that MLD had sent the wrong-sized pack and it wasn't the buyer's fault that he didn't try it on before modifying it.

Now everyone is jumping all over Greg for wanting his (arguably unsafe) Nalgenes replaced. Wuh?

Don't get me wrong- I think Greg is being mildly unreasonable, too. As well as one of the most abrasive BPLers I've seen. Very entertaining thread, though. :)

greg jenkins

@ocpik4chu

Locale: CO, Rockies

@Dean,

No, he is being jumped on for purchasing BPA ridden nalgenes AFTER the date of the recall and blaming the company for not replacing them. Thus making him a complete Hypocrite as I read it

He is also being jumped on for insulting people on this board and being in general extremely rude for being called out on the aforementioned issue.

There is no legit explanation or justification for his behavior.

And per your comment I do not remember the post you are referring to but it was the buyer's fault for not trying on the pack before buying it and then modifying it instead of returning it is just plain idiotic. Guess some people's opinions have changed but mine sure havent. I wish people would take responsibility for their own actions, we would be doing much better if they would.

Nalgene is an excellent company and (if you are civil) takes care of almost anything you ask them for. They have replaced several bottles for myself and others that have been damaged or broken even if we admit it to being our fault (accidentally dropping a full bottle off a cliff for example) They mean lifetime warranty when they say it…

Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

Unstable people are one of the best things about the internet.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I do not wish to reignite this, but I feel I must assert how incorrect you are, Greg Jenkins. You say I was being jumped on because insulted people on the board. Tell me then, why was the very first post in reply to my topic this one:

"Well did you ever stop and think how long you have had those bottles? Do you not feel that they have given good service and are still functional, giving their moneys worth? How long do you think they should last? How much BPA do you think those bottles have already put into your system? Any negative results that you are aware of? Is $10 worth all the angst?"

If you read my initial post, you will find not one insulting remark. Yet I was immediately met with the attitude best exemplified by the post above. But what you said at the end darn near makes my blood boil.

"They have replaced several bottles for myself and others that have been damaged or broken even if we admit it to being our fault (accidentally dropping a full bottle off a cliff for example) They mean lifetime warranty when they say it…"

SO.. on one hand, I'm unreasonable for wanting a replacement for a MANUFACTURING DEFECT, yet when you admitted to breaking one yourself, that warrants a replacement????? Are you off your rocker?? I had to reread what you said to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Suspected defects are a no go, but if you break it yourself, its ok!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"SO.. on one hand, I'm unreasonable for wanting a replacement for a MANUFACTURING DEFECT, yet when you admitted to breaking one yourself, that warrants a replacement????? Are you off your rocker?? I had to reread what you said to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Suspected defects are a no go, but if you break it yourself, its ok!"

Reality check time:
    1) a lot of your posts were moderated, so obviously you've been the offender quite often here
    2) it's not a manufacturing defect, it's a widespread industrial blunder (yes, the health effects of BPA are real)
    3) Nalgene recalled their bottles due to the BPA thing in 2007 or early 2008, and offered free replacements (I got mine replaced)

David Maxwell
    BPL Member

@davidmaxwell

Locale: eastern, tn

I'm save'n my and still useing them. Hopefully someday they will be a collectors item .. Then I'll be in the big bucks .. haha

Dave T

@davet

I for one am glad Greg P. is back.

I especially missed how we would threaten to physically assault people that disagreed with him about a $10 bottle replacement.

I missed that.

And now he's back so I don't have to miss it any longer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tut, tut, Dave; if you feed the trolls, they become habituated and we all know where that leads…… ;0)

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"I especially missed how we would threaten to physically assault people that disagreed with him about a $10 bottle replacement."

Wow, I missed the real fireworks, eh?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Welcome back!

I am curious though. Did you ever get a response from Nalgene? Did you try contacting them through the email link on the site yet?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I don't get it, folks, I've been using BPA-laced bottles for years, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with my momma was a Gay Jewish black man sweet baby back Louisville bell-bottoms abstract reality… ABSTRACT REALITY!!!! STOP! TOUCHING! MY! GOPHER!!! Shhhh….

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"I especially missed how we would threaten to physically assault people that disagreed with him about a $10 bottle replacement."

Ohh, eh oh, you talkin to me? Are you talking to me? Theres no one else here.. Do I amuse you, like a clown? How am I funny?

Hell yea man, I don't mind getting into a scrap. Its not about the $10 water bottle, its about wiping the indignant smirk off the faces of people like you. So what if my response is cave man? Were animals bro. If I wanna kick your butt I'm gonna do it unless you stop me, or on the account of being a wimp, call the cops. Thats how governments operate, why can't people? Im not suggesting we kill each other over minor quarrels but a lil fisticuffs is good for a man.

Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

You're not going to fight anyone.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"You're not going to fight anyone."

Youre right, because I live in New Jersey and I don't think the people I would like to punch on here do. So yea, bummer :(

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Ha ha ha

Oh haw, Internet tuff guy.

Ha ha ha.

I bet that your letter is getting passed around, and the first person who takes it seriously has to deal with your case.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

OK, someone is obviously going to have to fight this guy.

Pistols or sabers?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hmm. I have a brother in Jersey. Another reason to visit. I'll bring some bottles for you.

byl

Violence is the answer found easily by the immature mind. But so is this.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"Youre right, because I live in New Jersey and I don't think the people I would like to punch on here do. So yea, bummer :("

Too bad. I could use a bit of practice with someone who isn't one of my students.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Road trip!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Pistols or sabers?"

Squirt guns loaded with pure, liquid BPA at 10 paces.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"OK, someone is obviously going to have to fight this guy.

Pistols or sabers?"

Sabres, clearly, as thats much more honorable and manly. Or the super soakers with BPA is cool too.

"Too bad. I could use a bit of practice with someone who isn't one of my students."

Not for nothing, but you can't account for streets. You might have training, but I might have a motorcycle chain! hahaha

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools