Topic

huge sale on theclymb.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals huge sale on theclymb.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

yea, they may have reached 1mil members, but i bet 95% of them are ghost accounts. I've made an account once – looked at deals for a week and don't go there any longer. Their "deals" are kind of "meh"….There are better deals out there and i don't have to wait for an item and then see it sell out in 5 min.

Clymb is like groupon – making it big while people still think it is something special and while they are trying to make money by inviting others. But like all other pyramids – it will platue for a while and then burn through all the cash while trying to attract new customers.

Seen it before…

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Look at this thread compared to the one without an affiliate link on the Innov shoes.

These two threads are perfect examples…the one with the affiliate link (this thread) is worthless, has no good information and the products do not really interest BPL members. The other post without an affiliate link is a good price on products that BPL members specifically love and have an interest in. Coincidence? I think not.

I think affiliate links should be banned personally.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

why don't the admins just make a sticky called "the clymb" and then direct all members to post their clymb deals and links in that thread. that way people who want to browse it can and those who don't won't have to sift through pages of clymb links…

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Why not have BPL run a ticker with what's on sale at the clymb, sac etc.

Doug Reeves
    Spectator

@strawman

Locale: God's Country

some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy about something.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

It's just a matter of where you draw the line of SPAM versus Content.

The Gear Deals forum only remains worth reading if it is relevant information. If you click on 'great gear deal!' or 'huge sale!' only to repeatedly find it is some yahoo posting their clymb (or other) affiliate link to some junk nobody wants at prices that aren't really very good, then it diminishes the worth of the Gear Deals forum.

Doug Reeves
    Spectator

@strawman

Locale: God's Country

99.99% of the deals in gear swap or gear deals are items that I have no interest in. So I simply don't click on those deals.

The top of the Gear Deals thread specifically states: "Announcements of online & local sales, coupons, etc. Commercial posts OK, but ONLY if you are announcing a sale or coupon."

Dave T

@davet

> It's just a matter of where you draw the line of SPAM versus Content.

Agreed. I think BPL has always been pretty far over on the content side of that continuum, and I think that's a good approach (although I missed out on some great UGG BOOTS! sales due to it). The "if you don't like it don't click on it" argument falls apart pretty fast with mis-use.

And if someone lots of posts and they are solely on Gear Swap, I wonder how invested they are in BPL itself, other than a way to do commerce.

Jedd Cheshier

@jeddcheshier

Locale: Midatlantic

"And if someone lots of posts and they are solely on Gear Swap, I wonder how invested they are in BPL itself, other than a way to do commerce."

Funny you should mention that. It seems to me the original poster is a MLife member. That would indicate he is more invested than many of us, like me…and you.

Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,

blah blah blah….

Dave T

@davet

1. There are other ways to be "invested" in a site, like being involved for a long time, or contributing lots of non-commerce based forum posts.

2. See also: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43329&skip_to_post=368433#368433

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

Thanks for posting that link DaveT. It looks like we have come full circle.

Hasn't this dead horse been beaten enough? :-)

Dave T

@davet

welcome to BPL. :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I loved that thread. Thanks for the memories Dave.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

After having lucid dreams about the clymb last night thanks to the hundreds of posts here I see, I got my truck painted with the clymb logos and my reference link. I now have $10 coming from thousands of people!! Hahaha

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

I apologize for beating a dead horse, but I have to weigh in. I find the shamless solicitation from this forum to be one of the most annoying aspects of BPL. As a member, I frequently check Gear Deals for items of interest when I visit BPL.

Most visitors to this forum know what The Clymb is. In order to see the posted deal announcement, one must have a personal account with The Clymb or create one. The creation of such an account through the poster's affliate link earns the poster a referral fee. This brings the motive of the poster into question. It appears that the postings are within the paramaeters of the forum, but they do not appear to be within the spirit of the forum community.

Given the history of Mr. Allen on this forum, his frequent The Clymb deal posting appears to be shamless self promotion. In my opinion, Mr. Allen has abused this forum.

Mr. Allen, how about full disclosure, how many affiliate fees have you earned from your posting on BPL?

If I could set a rule or macro on this forum, it would be to move all "The Clymb Deals" to a spam folder.

Anyone who wants to be informed of The Clymb sales can subscribe to The Clymb's spam mail.

Thank you Mr. Allen for at least including "The Clymb" nomenclautre in your post caption. I appeal to anyone else that makes a " The Clymb Deal" announcement, please include "The Clymb" in you post caption. By doing so, you will save me the click and waste of time.

By the way, the "Biggest Sale Ever" would be: "MLD Everything 50% Off, All Items In Stock, Free Shipping"

Happy Trails

Will Webster

@willweb

"In order to see the posted deal announcement, one must have a personal account with The Clymb or create one. The creation of such an account through the poster's affliate link earns the poster a referral fee."

To be fair, I believe that the referral fee is only paid if the referree actually buys something.

I've purchased from The Clymb exactly once; I got a pair of Inov-8 315s shipped for about 60% of the Zappos price. I do get frequent emails from them since registering, but that's why I used my spamtrap address.

I agree, posting every Clymbspam as if it's a great deal is a bit excessive, but I don't see it as something to hyperventilate about.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

@mark jones

Are you serious? I laughed when I read your post. I only get credit when someone actually buys something. And I only get credit off their first purchase. So no, I am not raking in the millions here.

Like you mentioned, I usually try to mention theclymb in the title… And usually remember to give full disclosure about the credit.

There is no need for this to turn ugly and personal. Looking through my posts and somehow implying that my character/morals are lacking might be going a little too far, don't ya think?

Oh yeah. Go Vols.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

You guys are really looking through his posts? Don't you think you are being a bit of a stalker? Well, you are. Matthew has probably only raked up, at the most, a couple hundred dollars in credit. Is that really worth all this garbage trash talking? Quit being a bunch of gram counting gear snobs and have some fun. (That was a joke because I'm a gram counting gear snob for sure)

…or be a recluse and whine about nothing. If the staff of BPL really cared then they would take action themselves without all of your input.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

Mr. Allen, no ugly intended. No judgement of character intended. Nothing personal.

Would The Clymb deal be worthy of posting if there was not a potential referral fee?

As I stated, your posts are within the parameters of this forum.

If you follow this thread from the beginning, it is apparent that I am not alone in lack of appreciation for The Clymb posts with an affiliate link.

Daniel, no stalking. The 7th post in this thread chronicles a history of similar posts. Anyone who visits this forum regularly will be well aware of this trend.

Happy Trails!

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

To answer your question about the deals having any merit of their own if there wasn't a credit incentive attached, then yes. There have been deals that I would post about, even if there wasn't the possibility of getting a one time $10 credit.

As far as not meaning to get personal or attack my character, perhaps you should re-read your previous post. You are blatantly attacking my character and questioning my "worthiness" of being a member of this community. This behavior is neither warranted or welcome.

Now, can we all just move on?

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools