Topic

Lightweight Day Pack – What are some good options?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Day Pack – What are some good options?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I need to replace my current day pack. Its heavy and the torso is too long. What Iā€™m looking for is something lighter than the current large manufacturers make (they all seem to be a couple pounds on up). I donā€™t really see much made by the cottage makers except SUL items that are formed sacks with straps. I mean no disrespect, but Iā€™d like a pack that has padded belt/shoulder straps, sternum strap, hydration capability and port, hip-belt pockets, top lid with pocket, water bottle pockets that can be easily accessed without removing the pack, and possible pocket on the inside of the main compartment for small items like first aid, keys, etc. Iā€™d also like a padded back that also acts as a stiffener and good main-compartment compression for when Iā€™ve got nothing but water, FAK, and a shirt in the pack. I have/am considering a pack by Chris Zimmer or Joe @ Zpacks. But Iā€™m wondering what else is out there that may meet my needs. Iā€™d ideally like this pack to be 16 ounces or less. Not sure on size. Maybe 1,500 to 2,000 CI.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I would suggest the MLD Newt. 1800ci, 8.5 oz. That is if a medium torso size fits you. I would have bought one if the large was sold out and apparently never being made again.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Wow… my backpack for my 7-month, round the world trip was 1,700c.i. — and it was never much more than half full…

But back to topic – given your extensive "want list" — I really can't think of any well padded, full feature day packs that come in much under "a couple of pounds"! Most people who want the padding and extensive features you listed aren't much concerned about pack weight. Seems like pack designers either go for the simple — or they pile on 'bells and whistles'.

My suggestion is to shop for a full-feature pack that you like. From there, pare down / cut away all the stuff that you don't really want to get the pack weight down.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

You listed many options (bells and whistles), more typical of a mainstream pack.

Cottage manufacturers tend to stay away from hip-bept pockets (though they're making a comeback), top lids, and padded backs.

The Gossamer Gear Murmur comes to mind. The 2012 redesign looks nice, and has gotten rave reviews.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

I've seen several options that are well under a pound but thought that there were a few I'm missing – the reason for this thread. I carry somewhere between 4-10 pounds (water/food/gear) on a day out and want to do it comfortably. That's all.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

osprey hornet 32. the weight isn't a pound but it has everything else and a ton more. and its way more comfortable than most packs that are just a stuff sack with 2 straps.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

……

… ….. .. ….. … .. ….. .. .!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Osprey Talon 22. It has been my reliable and rugged day pack for 3 years of climbing in Colorado.

http://www.rei.com/product/808306/osprey-talon-22-pack

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

> but Iā€™d like a pack that has padded belt/shoulder straps, sternum strap, hydration capability and port, hip-belt pockets, top lid with pocket, water bottle pockets that can be easily accessed without removing the pack, and possible pocket on the inside of the main compartment for small items like first aid, keys, etc. Iā€™d also like a padded back that also acts as a stiffener and good main-compartment compression for when Iā€™ve got nothing but water, FAK, and a shirt in the pack….. That's all.

Really? That's all?

A padded back that can act as a stiffener means weight. Top pocket and hip belt pockets mean weight. Side water bottle pockets AND hydration capability and port and a second internal pocket all mean weight. For carrying just 4-10lbs cargo, most people really don't need padded back or padded straps. But of course, a lot of this is personal preference… but I think you will have a hard time finding all that in a 2000 ci pack that weighs less than a couple of pounds.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

If you find this pack with everything you ask for and ends up being under 16 ounces, please let me know. I honestly don't think this pack exists.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

to those who provided options. For those who want to be critical, please find another thread where your expertise is required.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Stupid question's get stupid answers.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I've seen several options that are well under a pound "

With all those options? Warren I am interested in knowing what those choices are. I too lament at the disappearance of the top pocket.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Take a look at the Salomon XT Advanced Skin 12 or 14 packs. Not cheap and not super lightweight, but they fall under the 2lb mark. If you do any running you won't find a more comfortable pack. No back panel, but they're vest-style and will be very comfortable carrying your loads. Also they're expandable/collapsible to maintain excellent load stability.

These are different than the typical backpack everyone thinks of, but I'm telling you from experience that they're worth a look.

Eric D.
    BPL Member

@ewdysar

I'm not aware of any pack with all of your requirements under 16 ounces, but my Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack has all but the top pocket right around 25 ounces. I added two of the GG hip belt pockets. I wouldn't think that you need the aluminum stay for a total pack weight below 10 pounds, but it's really nice for pack weights around 15-20 lbs. It's also bigger than you spec'ed.

I did just buy a GG Murmur 2012, a really nice pack but at 9 oz. untrimmed with the back pad, it doesn't have most of the bells and whistles that you're asking for. For day hikes or overnights at total weights of 15 pounds or less, the Murmur will be my new go-to pack.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

To answer your questions, both Zimmer built and Zpacks offer some pretty lightweight options. They don't have the back pad but I'm sure I can get a pack from either one of them that has a pad pocket built in.

Now, I'm gonna go look at some of your suggestions. I have looked several times at the GG Murmur and its pretty cool. I need to do some more looking and just talk with Chris and Joe and I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions for me to get what I want. I'd rather not have a pack that is limited to about ten pounds, but rather have the cushion to take fifteen if the situation warrants it.

edit: I probably don't need 2,000 CI but if I wanted to attempt an overnighter on a really warm night I might just be able to do it as long as I'm not needing a bear canister.

edit2: Look at this link. Chris built this one at 11 oz. and with most of my wants I could probably at or under 16 oz. just guessing. http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/zen-pack.html. Joe can do something in that region no problem too.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-kompressor-summit-backpack-1710cu-in

25oz, but with all the features you're looking for – Padded straps, sternum strap, lid with pocket, hip belt pockets, side bottle pockets, padded back, good compression, etc etc.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I think it's a little over a pound and a little smaller than what you indicated but my Reactor has been my go-to "lightweight but full service" daypack for a long, long time. It's also my airplane carry-on "personal item" that fits under the seat and still leaves room for my feet.

(When I want a bulletproof sack with straps, I take my Flash 18. When I just want something super light, I take my Sea to Summit silnylon daypack.)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

and tried on a few different small day packs. I had held most hope for the REI Stoke 19. Nice features but the torso is really short. I put some Exped sleeping pads in the pack and walked around the store with the pack on. The weight rides on your hips but it always felt like it was pulling on the shoulder/sternum straps. Just not comfortable. So, its out. Also looked at the Stoke 29, which has a proper sized torso but it is just too big for a day pack.

I did try the Marmot Kompressor Summit Pack but it was similar in size to the Stoke 29 and both of those are heavier than I really want.

I have three other ready-made packs I'd like to try:

Osprey hornet 24 – 18 oz.
    Golite ā€“ Rush 10 – 16 oz. OR Rush 20 – 19 oz.
    Salomon-XA-20 – 17 oz.

I'm not sure if these other choices have true length torso's or if they are shortened like the Stoke 19 to attain their low weights. And the problem is I haven't found them in store near me so I can see how they are. I seem to remember reading the Hornet series of packs had short torso's. If anybody has any info on the Hornets I'd like to hear about them.

If none of those options above work, it's on to a custom solution, which I can't try on either but hope will meet all my needs.

Was hoping to go out tomorrow with a new day pack but no such luck. Arggggh.

Jane Howe
    BPL Member

@janeclimber

Most of these light packs are for climbing, adventure racing. The volume of these packs is small and so it is short to start with. And a shorter torso length is comfortable while climbing or running. I use golite ion for my day hike on Mt. whitney via the Mountaineer's route. I ran down the normal trail and found the short torso very nice while running. I also use a Black Diamond bullet, which is very sturdy.

My buddy who is an average size guy, uses an REI flash 18 for climbing. It is flimsy for rock climbing. After our Yosemite trip, the pack has a few cuts and rips. But my Golite ion and BD bullet held well.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I love my Ions more than most people, but I don't think they check any of the feature boxes that the OP outlined. Not to mention the fact that they're no longer produced. LOL.

Can't comment on the other packs, but this is a pretty funny thread.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Check out the REI Flash 18. I think it's as close to what you are looking for and it comes in at 11 ounces. Has one interior pocket, place for hydration bladder, and a padded back.

I don't think you will find a pack as light as you want with padded shoulder straps and waist belt (and some of the other things you listed), but keep in mind that when carrying gear for just a day hike, you don't really need them.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

John. I'll keep looking a little longer. When I'm carrying three litres of water and gear I'd prefer to have the hip belt and a bit of a frame to releive the weight. I don't want it all on my shoulders. If the Stoke 19 were about 3 inches longer in the torso, it'd do just fine.

BTW – have you found the day pack you want yet?

Dean Tweddle
    Spectator

@lazysod

I have the Golite VO24 in a large torso and use it for day hikes a lot. It doesn't have the back panel but would tick most of the other boxes. It is an adventure racing pack but has enough volume for day hikes. I use it for bike packing as well and it doesn't move around at all when going down rough trails.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

…and it's called the Salomon Raid Revo 30. Maybe the only nick is that the back panel, while padded, is not very stiff. I don't think they're made anymore, but they show up on the ebays every once in a while…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools