Topic

VaprLoft Quilts – M50/Apex/SevenDS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals VaprLoft Quilts – M50/Apex/SevenDS

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

My goal: To offer the best vapor barrier synthetic quilts on the market.

Specification
    Shell: 10D high water/wind resistant fabric, black
    Insulation: 5oz Climashield Apex
    Inner: SevenD-S, grey
    SevenD-S is a 7 denier by 7 denier,  .65oz/sq/yd, micro rip-stop fabric that is silicone coated and water proof. Compared to Cuben, it is much more softer, drapes better and packs down smaller.

My quilt design features:
    1) Hood, offering exceptional warmth.
    2) Wide width keeps the drafts out.
    3) Some of the lightest shell fabrics in the world.
    4) Integrated Vapor Barrier inner, keeps sweat out of the insulation.

Interested in learning more?
    You can find out more details including pricing by just sending me a email at huzefasid@gmaildotcom

I recently posted some pics of my quilt in myog forum. See.

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

Post some pics and lets see your quilt making mojo.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I will post them later today.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Offering mathematical weights could help give an idea of finished weights. For instance, an 85×54" quilt (pretty big) works out to 18.8oz before fasteners, which is pretty darn light.

Not personally into the vapor barrier thing, but the price point on these seems good.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Good idea.
    I have made a formula for estimating weight. L*(T+B)/480
    L :length
    T: top width
    B: bottom width

Ozzy, I am also offering a breathable inner option.

James Connolly
    BPL Member

@jamespjc

Locale: TX

These sound great. I contacted Huzefa about the possibility of one of these quilts using SevenD/apex/SevenD, i.e. without the vapor barrier, and he said no problem. He also estimated the weight of the quilt to be under 16 ounces, which is pretty impressive as I'm 6'3", albeit a slim build. To put this into perspective this is about 4 ounces lighter than similarly spec’d quilts I’ve seen using 4oz Climashield Apex. The price point is also competitive, especially when considering that he's using the lightest (or at least one of the lightest) shell material around. Hoping that he gets 15 orders so that this can happen.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

This one weighs 13.4 oz. The lenght is 70inch. Top width is 43inch, then increases to 52" after 6inches, continues straigth 24inches, then tapers to 39 inch at the bottom. I havent got the omnitape and snaps yet, so no pics of that.

q1
    q2
    q3

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Any suggestions for a name?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

14DD (double D)

to signify each layer of 7d.

James Connolly
    BPL Member

@jamespjc

What do you think?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I am not sure I want to use my surname.
    This is the business name I came up with in 2010.

Let me know what you think.

James Connolly
    BPL Member

@jamespjc

I'm clearly not a company name guru ;o), but I wonder if the above might work better? However, your proposed name is self explanatory!

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Will these be any lighter than Enlightened's .33 cuben quilts? If so, how are you making it ligher with (presumably) the same weight of insulation and a heavier outside fabric?

In short, what do you offer that Tim doesn't?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

The shell and liner fabric weigh 0.65oz. So it won't be lighter then using 0.33 cuben. But it is much more softer then cuben, or any other 20d nylon fabric available in the market. You need to try it to believe how soft and luxurious it is.

It also drapes better and packs down smaller then cuben.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Fair enough. That sounds quite nice.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Thanks for ideas. Keep them coming.

I am looking for a name that projects "my goal" ie. to be the highest performing insulation available.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I am surprised that there isn't much interest in synthetic quilts.

How many would be interested in custom down quilts? Contact me for more info.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

"I am surprised that there isn't much interest in synthetic quilts."

Huzefa,

This may be more because your quilts are a bit of an unknown at this point. Perhaps getting one into the hands of 1 or 2 people for a review that would be posted up here on BPL would go a long way to generating some interest and comfort level. That process may generate some great feedback that may/may not want to be incorporated into the final product.

That…and need more pictures. Get in the thing and show how the footbox is formed and closes off, how it fits/drapes, stuff it into something and put it beside the old standby nalgene for volume comparison, etc. Not enough detail from the photos you have posted.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I don't the problem, Huzefa, is the insulation of the quilts, but the details.

You list a clo, but we don't know what that means. I think it's 40-45ish?

I don't know how I would close the quilt under me. Just a tuck method?

What's this omnitape footbox?

Both you and your quilts are, to a large extent, unknowns. Waiting for an order of 15 could take awhile before production starts. There is no reputation to go on here, so we need as many details as possible and a great price (you've more than nailed that). If you could start production sooner, I think that might give people more incentive as well.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Thank you Philip and Stephan. I have considered you comments. I am going in all in. I will place an order for a roll of Apex this week so that production starts sooner.

I didn't think that I am unknown on this forum, but if you say so. Sorry I can't provide a pics of the footbox as for some reoson I still haven't got the omnitape. But its pretty standard. You can take a look at it here.

I personally like a wide quilt so that I don't have to bother with straps in the middle of the night. Straps are restrictive and then you lose the main feature of the quilt ie the freedom. I find that 52" girth wide enough to avoid drafts. I am 5'10 inch and ~60 kgs. But there is scope for customization. You can let me know if you prefer a different method and I will try to accommodate it.

I have got one order (thanks James!). I will post more detailed pics when that's ready. You can look forward to James' review.

I thought listing clo is the standard thing to do. Even BPL quoted only the clo value on their quilts. But 40-45 is right for sevenD inner. May be 35F for sevenDs (VB) but I have not tested it.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Lessgearworks.com
    Preview my new website. Any feedback is welcome.

I am thinking of calling the quilt vaprloft. Let me know what you think.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

50m Apex roll is on the way!

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I am interested in something like this. I will PM you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You have some grammar issues on your home page.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Does vapor barrier refer to the quilt not breathing? Does 7D breathe? What are the advantages of having a vapor barrier quilt?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools