Topic

Skurka’s upcoming slideshows & clinics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skurka’s upcoming slideshows & clinics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Andrew,

My wife and I already picked up your book and we're looking forward to sharing it with friends and meeting you at one of the Gear and Skills Clinics in the SF Bay Area. Also sharing the link to your schedule with friends in other cities. Thank you very much for putting the time into the book and sharing your knowledge and experience in the clinics.

Will all of the Gear and Skills Clinics be the same duration and cover the same material, or will some be longer/more in depth? We have an embarrassment of riches in the Bay Area with so many of your talks to choose from.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

The talk is essentially the same wherever you go. Same slides and topics, and same duration. The questions will be different at each show, though I get a lot of FAQ. The biggest difference is probably geographical — I will emphasize different gear in California than I will in North Carolina. I would also say that the clinic is jam packed with information, so you'd probably learn some things at a second event that weren't clear or that you missed at the first.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Since my first post, two more venues have been added to the schedule:

Fontana Sports
    Madison, WI
    Wed & Thurs, April 11 and 12
    Free admission

Middletown RI BSA
    Location TBD
    Tues, April 3

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Good to see some Wisconsin Love! I'm gonna try to make it, but I'd have to take off teaching. We'll see….

Jon Leinen

@jonleinen

Andrew – I just finished your book (I downloaded it off the Kindle site on the 21st). I have to admit I didin't know what t expect from the pre-read but you did a really nice job! I was really excited to see your gear list for Philmont and we will be using this!

I look forward to seeing you in April while you are in Minneapolis. We should have a good sized group from our troop at your session.

Jon

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I heard you talk in central NJ ~4-5 years ago, and am planning to come out to Campmor in March. Looking forward to another good talk.

Tom

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Video version for people in the boonies. Though Coup did come here once.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I'm hitting both Seattle events…..really looking forward to it!

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Great to hear that I'll have at least a few people in the audience for these programs. Please bring a few friends.

At Midwest, make sure to get there early — I'm expecting them to have to close the doors again.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I've already sent a note out to ~5 co-workers that might be interested and would benefit from hearing about your experiences. Also plan to bring my son on Saturday if soccer or b-ball doesn't conflict with it.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Andrew, I can work the projector for you if you wanna sneak me in the back door of the private Redwood city event (where i live btw).. :)

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

My brother-in-law works at Heartflow, so we actually might be able to sneak you in. PM me with your personal email address and I will put you in touch with him.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Andy some areas of Texas aren't going to have a lot of hikers but some will. I know Dallas the best but it seems there are lots of hikers there. Most of them go up to Arkansas or to Colorado for longer trips. There seem to be a lot of BSA troops doing trips up to the Wimenuche Wilderness in the summer.
    Down in the San Antonio area there seemed to be more interest in river trips and mountain biking (better location for them).

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Andrew,

In terms of buying your book at the event…check, cash, credit card???

What is your preference and how much is your book going for?

I am looking to get two copies for sure…for myself and as a gift for a friend.

If I pay in cash, would be good to know how much to bring.

Thanks!

-Tony

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Books can be purchased with cash or check only, at least at the events where I am selling them (most). CC's just take too long given the short selling windows (before, intermission, after).

a b

@ice-axe

I am gonna try to get to this one:

Monday-Tuesday, March 5-6
    Sunrise Mountain Sports
    2455 Railroad Ave
    Livermore, CA
    Mon, 7pm: “Circling Alaska & Yukon:
    Tues, 7pm: “Ultimate Hiking Gear & Skills”
    $5 admission, $2 for Boy Scouts in uniform
    I work in San Jose so i think i can make it to Livermore after work Monday for the AK Yukon event.
    I am hoping for some inspiration for my own "out of the box" Long distance hike/paddle.
    I want to hike from Baja up the Colorado River, over the Divide and hike/paddle down the Mississippi to the Gulf coast.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

How come BPL hasn't installed a "Like" button yet? Get with the times, guys…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"How come BPL hasn't installed a "Like" button yet? Get with the times, guys…"

Well, I did notice "Staff Member" next to your name :)

P.S. What is a like button?

a b

@ice-axe

Hey Nick, Be my friend on facebook… oh nevermind.. ;)

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Taking my dad to the Seekonk,MA one. Maybe he'll finally replace his old frame pack ;) though i doubt it.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

@Matthew: Are you going to try to make it Tuesday as well? I think I'm going to try to be there Tuesday at Sunrise, but it's maybe 50/50 at this point.

a b

@ice-axe

I would most definitely like to see both.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

I went to Andrew's slide show on his Alaska trip last night with some friends and was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of other BPLers there too along with a lot of Boy Scouts.

Was a full house, but still an intimate gather where Andrew did not need a microphone to address all of us.

The slide show with his personal narration and stories to share was a real treat with stunning photos and a number of video clips from his trip that ranged from very humours to extordinarily honest/personal moments on the trail.

It was nice to be able to see the man in person in person and to realize that he is very socialable, normal, humble, and very approachable.

One of the highlights of the night was being able to see and touch a lot of the gear that he used on the trail. To see what gear stands the test of thousands of miles on the trail and then to compare it against my own gear choices.

Lastly, Andrew fielded questions from the group to close the night out.

My only suggestion to make the presentation betters was if there was more time for Q & A.

Looking forward to going to the next one tonight on his book and picking up a few signed copies for myself and for a gift for a friend.

If I can snag some photos, I will post them up here.

Highly recommend that other attend this event, which was very entertaining as well as informative.

Made for a great evening and listening to Andrew talk for about 70-90 minutes was a pleasure.

-Tony

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

Tony I believe Andrew said there will be more time devoted to Q&A tonight at Sunrise.
    Andrew Skurka at Sunrise Mountain Sports 3/5/12

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Yesterday I had a chance to attend Andrew's Gear Clinic and I took these photos of the event.

Sunrise Mountain Sports Livermore, CA.

Sunrise Mountain Sports Livermore, CA.
    It was a packed event where Andrew laid out his theory comparing Ultimate Hiker vs. the Ultimate Camper. There were a lot of humorous personal stories and slides to show examples between the two.

Slide Show

Starting the Slide Show

The slide show gave a nice mix of photos to illustrate his ideas as well as to clearly list resources and definitions of the techniques and ideas that he wanted to convey to us.

Hands on Time with His Gear

Hands on Time with Gear
    The gear assembled was a mix of Andrew's personal gear that he had taken on his trips and what Sunrise Mountain Sports had to offer. The day before, when Andrew had given his presentation on his Alaska-Yukon Expedition, he had this same table filled with nothing but his own personal gear he had taken on the trip. This was great because you could touch and feel his choice of materials and gear that was proven on the trail.

PackRaft 5 lbs

PackRaft 5 lbs

The Most Important Equipment

The Most Important Piece of Equipment- You Brain and the Skills You have Mastered

Cat Food Tin Alcohol Stove

The Humble Cat Food Tin Alcohol Stove Andrew had Taken on his Expedition

Evernew Ti Pot with Handles Removed

Evernew Ti Pot with Handles Removed
    Andrew prefers simple meals that require plenty of hot water- Soup Like Meals. They provide not only food, but aid in re-hydrating and warming the body.

Recruiting the Audience to Help Setup a Mid Shelter

Recruiting the Audience to Help Setup a Mid Shelter
    Andrew asked a number of audience members to help him illustrate the various light weight shelters options such as this Mid and a simple tarp that can provide plenty of coverage from the elements.

Q&A After the Formal Presentation

Q&A After the Formal Presentation
    One of the nice aspects of the event was Andrew frequently inviting the audience to ask questions throughout the presentation. The negative aspect of this event was that there was so much material to cover in a relatively short time. Given Andrew's vast experience and fielding questions, he really needed twice the time to be able to coverage the main points of his ideas and give examples.

Working the Crowd

That said, it was very informative and dense for the novice to intermediate traditional backpacker. For more experienced and lightweight backpackers, I think that the value of this was to be able to talk to the man himself, to ask your own questions to him, to glean some insights on how to improve your own kit based on his experiences, to simply be inspired to better yourself by his example and his accomplishments.

Fielding Question at the Intermission

Fielding Question at the Intermission with Debbie from BPL
    Actually, one of the pleasant surprises was to see how many BPLers were in attendance. I was sure that saw at least 8 or more people who had attended the recent Gathering of Gear Geeks at Henry Coe State Park.

Was able to get two copies of his autographed book

I was able to get two copies of his book at he event, which he autographed for me.

Really enjoyed both nights but between the two, I enjoyed the presentation on his Alaska-Yukon Expedition the most, because it had a more relaxed pace and was more intimate feel due to the mix of photos and videos taken on the trail.

Either way, I highly recommend your taking a little time out of your evening to attend his presentations. Great fun.

-Tony

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools