Topic

Could this be the ultimate UL backpacking saw?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Could this be the ultimate UL backpacking saw?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I know I'm a couple weeks late with this, but you know how it is working with the film industry . . . bunch of prima donas, let me tell you.

Anyway, now you can see the Little Buck 2G subdue a good size log in jig time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dr8gOly4cQ

David – I'll be following your MYOG endeavors with interest.

For those interested in the little details, the Little Buck 15" naked blade weighs 1.10 ounces; 1.25 ounces with the steel rings that hold it in place on the vertical alloy tubes. That means the rest of the necessary saw components weigh a whopping 2.60 ounces.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

New tyvek pouch option demonstrated – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qm-qoEjxwk

New tyvek pouch option illustrated below: includes a fiberglass tape
    reinforcement of blade pocket, velcro closure, and weighs only 13 grams!

tyvekpouch1
    tyvekpouch2

These are available now for $3 additional when buying a saw; $4 for anyone who has a saw and wants to use this carry method instead of the famous "bandana rollup". PayPal or questions to robkelly54 at gmail dot com.

Truth be told, this is lighter by more than a half ounce compared
    to my bandana, so I'm goin' tyvek! Can you cut it? You betcha!

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

But a bandana is very multi-use.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I've used a bandana to roll up my Little Buck for months and it works just fine. I agree it's got a multi-use capability advantage compared to the tyvek pouch. However, in my case I found that I wanted to keep the saw rolled up when I was not actually using it, whereas I might still want a bandana – hence I was often taking two bandanas (one for the saw and one for everything else), so the tyvek pouch will be an UL enhancement for me. More than a half ounce saved! ; )

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I've made it even easier to get information about my saws and trowels.
    You can even order them and see any special offers (there's a great one right now!)

Check it out . . . QiWiz.net

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

When you’re on the trail in the rain
    It’s hard not to whine and complain
    But hard as you try to keep yourself dry
    You’ll find all your efforts in vain

Even if wrapped in Goretex and eVent, says I

stormy sky

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Take $5 off the price of an Original or Big Dig titanium trowel when purchased at the same time as a Little Buck 2G saw; I'll also include a free saw carry/storage pouch. Just got a new shipment in of Swedish steel 15" blades, so I can usually get your saw out to you the day after you place your order.

This offer will be available until April 1. Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

All details on Specials page of website. Save 10% on combo of the lightest buck saw, pouch, and trowel on the planet. Offer good till 5/19. You CAN cut it!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

This is a pretty big saw and obviously not for everyone. BUT if you are hiking a trail to maintain and clear it, wouldn't you rather carry a big saw that weighs about a half a pound instead of a much heavier alternative? I know I would. Check out the new MEGA Buck page at QiWiz.net to see the new big brother to the Little Buck.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I'll be on trail from 8/30/12 through 9/15/12.

Gear ordered in next week (through 8/24) will be mailed out before I go. ; )

After that, you may have to wait until the week of 9/17 to get your gear : (

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

It's getting colder out there and some of you may want to pack a saw for those late fall and winter fires, but the idea makes you frown as you think about that heavy saw adding to your pack weight.

Never fear, because the lightest 15" saw AND the lightest cathole trowel on the planet have a special price as a combo deal (~10% off) through midnight October 20. Just go to http://www.QiWiz.net/specials.html

Can you dig it?

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

kudos.
    well-designed / executed.
    for u folks hikin in them piney woods, what a gr8 item.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Get a FireFly wood burning stove and get 10% off any other items you get at the same time: a trowel, a saw, a complete cook kit, a titanium windscreen, etc. No maximum. Make sure you go to the Specials page at http://QiWiz.net/specials.html when you place your order to activate the discount. I will rebate it back to your PayPal account. Offer expires March 1.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

During the rest of June 2013, order any trowel and add ANY other items to your order that you want, including a Little Buck or MEGA Buck UL buck saw, additional trowels, a FireFly stove, ti windscreen, bottlestove, complete kit with pot, etc. (Gary's grills excluded)

Activate the offer by going to my Specials page and picking the "add a penny" choice you will find there.

I will then rebate 10% of the cost of all the other items (except the first trowel) to your PayPal account.

This offer is not quite as good as March Madness, but close. Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

At QiWiz UL Gear, I am always looking for ways to make things better, lighter, more durable, more useful. Recently a Little Buck saw user emailed me about a mod he did to his saw that involved a different way to connect the cross bar to the vertical tubes. I liked his idea and was also able to incorporate a new attachment system for the Spectra cord that has the advantage of keeping the windlass tension forces centered between the tubes. Not a huge deal, but a nice improvement nonetheless. The saw is still the lightest 15" buck or bow saw on the planet; still weighs less than 4 ounces (add another half-ounce for the cushy grip) with these design improvements.

This saw can CUT it !!

LBnew1

LBnew2

LBnew3

LBnew4

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Some of you may know that I have used Trailblazer 15" blades for my Little Buck saws. Trailblazer (maker of Sawvivor and other tools) went out of business but I had gotten a supply of blades from them just in the nick of time. I've now only got about ten left. For some time, I've been hunting for a high quality blade to use when I ran out of the Trailblazer blades. After fairly extensive testing, the best solution I've been able to find is to cut down a longer than 15" high-quality blade to a 15" length, as there are literally no high quality 15" blades available on the market anymore. This works fine, but the attachment at the cut-down end will now be a (folded back onto itself at each end) titanium "pin" rather than steel rings (which are still used on the other end). This works just fine and actually saves a couple grams. Here's a photo of the new blade attachment method. I will start shipping Little Bucks with this mod as soon as I run out of the Trailblazer blades and have already started to use this method for filling any requests for replacement blades.

newLBpinmod

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

See my previous post, above. I've been shipping Little Buck saws with the new "cut-down" 15" blades for a couple months now. One final refinement I made to the "pin" end of the design is to add a small notch in the vertical tube that holds the pin in place even more securely. These saws can cut it!

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

deal or no deal?

You're welcome ( for the free bump).

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

@ William – point well taken, leading me with encouragement from Roger Caffin to offer this combo deal, only accessible during the rest of June 2015 to the BPL audience.

More than 10% off for a combination of Little Buck saw with tyvek pouch PLUS a Big Dig or Original trowel.

To go to the page where all this can be yours, click on BPL SPECIAL

Can you dig it? Can you cut it? Yes you can!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools