Topic

DAC poles v.s. Easton poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DAC poles v.s. Easton poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Are the Korean DAC aluminum tent poles lighter or in any way better (@ same outside diameter) than say, Easton aluminum tent poles?
    I realize DAC as a more environmentally safe way of anodizing their poles.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Last time I checked, a little over a year ago, the DAC poles were heavier and stronger than the Easton .340 or the even lighter .344.
    That makes sense, thicker wall tubing = heavier = stronger. But I don't know what DAC may have developed lately. You say they are the same diameter, but I have found the DACs to be slightly more than the .344s in diameter, and even more than the heavier .340s that are stronger than the .344s because they are thicker walled.

My conclusion is that there is only so much strength per weight than can be squeezed out of the best quality aluminum alloy, so the strength is roughly proportional to the weight. Carbon fiber is a different ballgame, where there are different layups and adhesives, and the strength to weight ratio varies considerably.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If you're getting poles that are of similar construction and weight, there's probably little difference. The DAC Featherlite is the one pole that's has a significant difference from the rest. It's also more complicated to build a pole set with.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Eugene,

I think the DAC Featherweight was what I was thinking about when I posted this thread.

You say they are more complicated" to build a pole set with and I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do they have to be shorter than heavier poles?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Eric, with regular poles you only need two types of poles. (1) One pole has a single ferrule and the (2) other pole has no ferrules. You use several of the first and one of the latter to build a complete pole assembly. You can cut any section you desire to attain the proper length for the pole assembly.

With the Featherlite there are three types of poles. (1) The first pole has a ferrule that tapers down (male) and the other end expands (female). (2) Then there's a pole that expands on both ends (female & female). (3) Finally, there's a pole that tapers on one end (male) and neither expands nor tapers on the other end. Pole #3 is used on the ends of the pole assembly. Pole #2 is only used once and connects with one of the end sections. Pole #1 is used for everything else. Because of the tapers, you only want to cut the end poles (#3) to attain the proper length for the pole assembly.

I think the Featherlite poles are very clever, but it was too clever for me the first time I tried to replace a pole section. I didn't realize that there were different types of sections, and I bought the wrong one. I ended up having to use some Easton sections I had to build a new pole assembly in time for a trip. Now I have all 3 types of spares for my Featherlite poles.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

It can be slightly more complicated if you make it so for the regular poles. For the strongest pole that flexes evenly, you want the middle of a section at the top of the arch, and symetrical on both sides of that. Plus you usually want them all the same length to have the shortest overall packable length, not just have the ones on the ends be 6" long or such. So it can takes a little figuring to find the lengths of each piece with and without inserts, have to include tips, etc too. Of course you might want them all a certain length to fit in a pack or stuffsack, requiring more sections than minimum ( more $ and waste too).

I put together some with easton nanolites from Quest, and am completely satisfied with the poles. Dont know DAC featherwt weights, but the nanos weigh about 12 oz in about 12' length for two poles with inserts, 3/32 shock cord, etc. Regular DAC (not featherwts) weigh about 16oz for same.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Guess I'll stick with Easton poles and save a few bucks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools