Topic

2012 R2R2R Group – Training Log’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2012 R2R2R Group – Training Log’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Art,

It's funny you should mention "plodding", aka "ultra shuffle", because I actually think it is that very motion that contributes to my cramps occasionally. I'm blaming it on my lack of mobility and wooden legs.

It will be very interesting to see how things shake out climbing back up SK with all those high steps and fatigued leg muscles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Any thoughts or experience folks?"

That particular cramp bedeviled me throughout my entire running and climbing careers. It has to be one of the most painful cramps around, IME. I found stretching to help but not to be the whole answer. What really had a noticeable effect for me was taking magnesium supplements. It is probably the most overlooked electrolyte and it is easy to not get enough in your diet. I currently take in about 500 mg from dietary sources and supplements. Might be worth a try. I am assuming you are adequately hydrated and electrolyte-ed otherwise,ie sodium, potassium, and calcium. Good luck, Eugene. That particular cramp is a grade A bummer.

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

Art – Yeah, I was referring to Cowles! I ran 8-10 miles yesterday around Mission Trails and up and down Cowles Mt.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Three weeks out is the perfect time for the final "long" training run for the RRR.
    just enough time to recovery and be stronger than ever.

Saturday was Old Goats 50.
    Best thing I can say is that I finished, and had no major issues.
    It is billed as one of the hardest 50 milers in the country.
    With over 13,000 of gain, it was the hardest 50 I've done.
    Perfect warmup for R2R2R.
    I was a steady plodder all day long, but had a serious case of the "slows".
    Finished a full 45 min. behind where I expected to (unofficially 13'47").
    The closest I have ever come to the cutoff in any race so far.
    But, perfect weather, and lots of fun.
    John came in about 17 minutes ahead of me, he'll be at RRR too.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@Tom,

You know exactly the cramp I'm talking about and yes, it is a GRADE A bummer when they creep in. Thanks for the magnesium advice. I'm fairly sure I get adequate magnesium in my daily intake of food and such, but it is worth looking into.

@Art,

50 miles IS long sir! Well done. +13,000' of climbing to boot, prime conditioning for R2R2R, sure makes my measly short/climbing run yesterday look like a walk in the mall. ;-) I will try to keep up with you April 14th. Considering all the injuries and setbacks that have plagued almost everyone at some point or another over the last several months, it's good to see people coming out on the other side ready and excited. Who cares if it's plodding, hiking, running, scrambling, as long as you're doing it under your own strength and taking something away from the experience at the end of the day.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nice job Art, sounds like a respectable time for the conditions/distance.

My training has been spotty over the last few weeks, only 31 miles run this last week with no substantial distance. Yesterday's planned long run got rained out, but I'm on two weeks of spring break right now, so I'll get out plenty this week.

Have a 25-30 with good climbing scheduled for tomorrow morning, will try and will also do another 25 with climbing next weekend and then it's about it for anything over 12-15 until race day.

I'm not worried about finishing the R2R2R, just really have no idea what sort of time I'll be looking at. So at this point, just looking to enjoy myself (relatively speaking, of course) and have a good day in the canyon.

Trying to crank out them mugs right now, got 26 handles to make and assemble today; I'm cutting it a bit close on getting these fired in time as I'll be out camping with the family in Nevada next week. Can't wait for some nice open desert running.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Art, way to lay it down, man! That's awesome. GC is going to feel more like just a plain old C after that run.

Eugene, I've had a history of cramps so I have an idea what you're up against. Ive become an expert at responding to my cramps quickly, but how do you stretch that muscle?! Seems like a tough one, Good luck man.

So, I've been plugging along pretty good on my cross-training, feeling strong as ever lately. Managed a slow 10 miles last week without any knee pain. So when Craig called for an easy, flat 10 into Coyote-Lion canyon, I thought it would be the perfect test run. The run was going better than expected, absolutely got my wings back nicely. Then around mile 8 I got a few good jabs in the knee and I immediately heard the sound of a needle getting dragged across a record. We walked out, iced the knee with an ice pack and my ego with some cold beers.

So Wisner, if there's any R2YouWish2R sippy cups left, put my name on one and fill it with straight bourbon please. I'll be manning the Phantom Ranch aid station and serving up all-you-can-eat fritos, I've got a few big bags to spare. However, the stoke remains high for April 14th! Can't wait to see all your ugly faces! 18 days!!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Craig
    slight change in the Beer Mug tally.
    Art +2 for the full R2R2R mugs.
    +1 for the Phantom Ranch sippy cup.
    if its too late – no problem, you're great for doing it.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Whoa Nelly: I just got invited on a 29.5 mile run with 10,000 of vertical just outside of Boulder this Saturday. I'm either going to die, or be very prepared for the R2R2R after this…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Take care of yourself Eric. I'm in preservation mode, kinda apprehensive about nabbing a long run this weekend, not sure it will be of any benefit, other than a spirit lifter. Two weeks out too close? What do you all think? Either the work is put in or its too little too late yea at this point? I guess it depends on a lot of factors and the individual.

Two weeks out and all I want to do is do this thing already, but gotta be patient.

Btw. If anyone needs salt tablets and doesn't want to buy them I have a fresh bottle of S-Caps, so one or two of you are welcome to some if you plan on taking any additional electrolytes.

On a different note, this may or may not be of any interest to others, but figure since this is BPL I should ask. Anyone interested in checking out shelters, stove setups, packs, etc? We could geek out on some backpacking gear Friday if folks get in early enough. I wanna scope out Craig's MLD Solomid and ShangriLa3. Anyone care to share? If not, no worries.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

2 weeks out doing a run that hard, for the rest of us is cutting it pretty close.
    could do more harm than good.
    I've done two 50 milers two weeks apart, and while I did ok, I definitely wasn't at my best for the second one.

However, Eric, you're in Hardrock right? So you need to suffer as much as possible now, since that is probably your number one goal race for the year.
    I say go for it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'll probably be doing one more run in the 20-25 mile range with ~5000 gain over the next four or 5 days. After that I'll take it easy.

I figure even if you run long this weekend, it still gives a good two full weeks to recover and run easy.

Yeah, Eugene, I'll bring some gear if you want to see it. I've still never seen a Trailstar in person, so you could bring yours.

I'll take you up on the S-caps Eugene. I was planning on buying a bottle in the next week, but I never use them unless I'm running really long, so I'd rather skip it. If you could spare 5 or 6 it would be cool.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Done and done Craig.

No worries packing all your stuff, really just have my eye on scoping out the Solomid.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have been lazy this week or maybe a better way of putting it is that life got it in the way. I have done NOTHING since my 40 Saturday so weather permitting I will do a 32 mile run tomorrow. Maybe next week I will get back into a routine.

Eugene, I will be anything but UL on this trip. My wife is coming with me so heavy tent and blow up full size air mat. It has to be comfy if I ever want her to come with me again.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Lazy?
    Your 40 plus a 32 is as much or more than many can muster in a week…or a month.

I'd be afraid to see what you're capable of if you put in 100%…or maybe it would look something like doing 2,600+ miles in less than 100 days? :)

This timing is terrible. I'm on two weeks of spring break and I'm supposed to be "tapering". Tapering after just having had a terrible two weeks of trying to make running fit into life. It's hard enough to find the time between work and family and art to run 45 miles in a week…and now that I have nothing but time and desire to run, I'm not supposed to be.

Life can be like that, huh?

It's all OK though, I'm feeling good!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Craig- what you don't realize is that Greg is training so that he can carry me when needed. I'm going to need him in tip top shape, so when I see him slacking like that it has me concerned.

Mike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Greg!

You're a machine. I just peeked at your #'s from the last few weeks, what a busy man.

Mike,

How's that sickness? You feeling better?

T-Minus 2 weeks and counting.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene- I'm 100% better than when I was laid up, but this dam(n) thing is hanging on- still hacking some stuff up and coughing some when I run- took today off, hope tomorrow's run goes a little better

hopefully it won't result in even more time that Greg is having to carry me :)

Mike

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Yesterday’s training run was epic indeed. In spite of needing to taper I decide to combine running and weight lifting all in one event, I figure it would aid in carrying Mike. So I borrowed an old Kelty pack from a neighbor and stuffed it full of filled water bottle, old sleeping bags and even a couple of bricks. The weight was almost 120lb. Off to the AT Approach trail where I ran last weekend. You would think that I would stand out with a pack that size but not on the AT. I fit right in with the human pack mules though they were hardly running like I was.

The weight was certainly a challenge. I had to take a break at the halfway point (mile 16) because the pack hip belt was rubbing me raw. I thought about pouring out some water but then I remembered that no pain, no gain….. I was gaining a lot. There was some good news though, the pack didn’t bounce much. My theory is that gravity pulled that heavy weight down, never allowing it to move up.

It got interesting at mile 26. There was a boggy area that I started running through next to a dirt road. Unfortunately I sunk all the down to my armpits and couldn’t move. I was stuck there in my mud bath for a half hour until two rednecks in an old truck winched my out. The final six miles were uneventful.

What worked?
    I survived.

What could be improved?
    I decided that the heavy weight alone wasn’t a good simulation for Mike. I decide if I do it again I would also throw a rabid coon in the pack. The flailing and noise seems like it would replicate Mike.

My final long run could have happened that way but…….

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Greg- excellent :) for a minute it almost sounded like one of Craig's adventures!

my week was rather uneventful, got a good 10 mile run in Helena with more elevation than I've been getting at home. my 10 mile run today felt better illness wise, think I'm finally shaking this crud

sad to hear about Micah True, I guess if a guy has to go better on a run then sick in bed

Mike

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Mike,
    Craig's reality trumps my embellishment anyday!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

mine too :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I'm tentative to take the bait, but, considering your exemplary training Greg, this story doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility! Either way, what a story man, love the mudpit imagery. Put me down on the list behind Mike, ill hold onto one of his ankles. ;-)

My stomach threw my run for a loop today, not sure if it was the heat and effort, or a combination of things. All I know is persistent stomach nausea and a poorly timed bowel evacuation made things fun!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Dude, you guys are cracking me up. Greg, you're doin a R2R2R every week!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Seriously, you confused me. If anyone is going to get out with 120 pounds, I'd have thought it would be you.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools