Topic

Best knot for Triptease line?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best knot for Triptease line?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

A clove hitch holds better than I expected it to, also. I tried with Triptease, using it for both ends of one of my ridge line tie outs this evening; a clove hitch on the trekking pole tip that I stuck through the ridge line D-ring, and one on the stake.

Ray Jardine's Tarp Book Essential has a pretty good section on knots, including a clove hitch with a quick release. Craig Connally's book on mountaineering also has a good section on knots, though some might not work so well with line as thin as Triptease, even if their only failure is not coming undone easily.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I think the easiest, best and most obvious knot to use to make a fixed loop in triptease for attaching to the tent is the figure 8. The only reason to use a bowline for a knot here is if you would regularly want to tie and untie it. The figure 8 can be very hard to untie once it has tightened up. The figure 8 is much easier to learn and tie too.

Maybe I am getting the terminology wrong here. A figure 8 used by climbers (figure 8 follow through) is hard to tie, but that is used to tie around something. A figure 8 to make a loop in the end of a rope (figure 8 on a bight) is a breeze, fold the line over and make an overhand knot creating a loop.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"A figure 8 used by climbers (figure 8 follow through) is hard to tie, but that is used to tie around something"

It's actually very easy if you practice it a bit. It becomes almost automatic.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I like to use lightweight handguns to anchor my shelter instead of stakes, little heavier but they are multi-use- just be careful where you locate the knot and and extra careful when you snug up the guy lines :)

never thought I'd see a knot question becoming contentious (of course the anti-knot folks tend to be a little on the radical side)

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Lets face it a bowline, regardless of effectiveness, is an ugly knot. What with that misshapen line sticking out all awkward like and all. On the other hand, a double figure eight seems like ostentatious overkill for a guy-line. A simple overhand knot? – may work fine but does it look lazy and uninspired? A perfection knot? -an attractive symmetry but is it too pretentious?

Thanks for the chuckle, David. I tie lots of perfection loops (hey, works great for fishing too) I will forever feel self conscious :)

James Verlander
    BPL Member

@jimver

Kevin Harper

@kevinharper2

Locale: Southwest

I'm sorry, but I just apologized to Dale on another thread and then read what he pointed out on this thread. Start at the top and look at his responses and you be the judge, is he is a reasonable or intelligent man?. He has gone over the edge on more than just me. Dale you have to realize that I am not an expert and quite frankly I don't know your credentials either, but this is a place where people seek info. I actually don't think I ever want to reach the point where I am an expert like your-self, I enjoy researching and hearing others opinions. I promise this will be the last post on Dale and hope he remembers what this sport is suppose to be about, relaxation, clearing the mind, and not being around critical people on the weekends. At least for me!

Rim to Rim with my son next week, doesn't get any better than that!

I take it all back, he just apologized to me!!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My, my, my.

Dale is really a nice person (online at least I have never met him), and always very helpful. Perhaps he had a couple bad days. I would not take anything personally.

Regarding knots… I found out last year that I have been tying my shoe laces incorrectly for the past 56 years! But I have lived through all of it :)

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

>Regarding knots… I found out last year that I have been tying my shoe laces >incorrectly for the past 56 years! But I have lived through all of it :)

Heretic! Burn the heretic! :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

(just a wee suggestion that trucker's knots are very useful for being able to really reef down on the line and tighten it nicely. Finish with a slip knot for easy untying.) (Dale, are you having MEN 'o pause? :o)~ if so, duct tape and/or Jack Daniels solves most problems.)

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I use line locs for the adjustable end and a simple overhand loop for attaching to my tarp. The overhand loop, despites it's nickname in climbing circles (European Death Knot) is very secure. It's only downside is in thin line like triptease it's hard to untie. However, I leave my guylines attached to my tarp anyway.

If I want easily removable guylines (like for poncho tarp) then I just make the overhand loop outside of the tarp attachment point, and use it to girth hitch the line onto the poncho tarp when necessary.

[As a side note: there are always arguments in the climbing community regarding knots. There are those who believe they should sit at home learning to tie dozens of knots for specific circumstances; and then there are those who believe you should learn how to use 4 or 5 knots to do everything you need – from anchoring all the way to self rescue.

I believe in the latter, because those 4 or 5 knots might not be the absolute best knot for any given circumstance, but you've tied them all so many times that you're not going to screw them up under stress, like in a storm or rescue situation.]

Anonymous
    Inactive

" believe in the latter, because those 4 or 5 knots might not be the absolute best knot for any given circumstance, but you've tied them all so many times that you're not going to screw them up under stress, like in a storm or rescue situation.]"

+1

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools