Topic

Best knot for Triptease line?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best knot for Triptease line?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Hi all.

I want to modify my Tarptent guylines a bit (and add one off the front), so I was wondering what you all think the best knot for Triptease line is? I want to be able to tie the cord on securely, including making loops that don't slide at the end for stakes.

Bowline? Something else?

Thanks!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

A simple bowline is what I use at the ends of my guylines. How will you adjust your line tension if you do not have a hitch/line loc on one end?

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

"How will you adjust your line tension if you do not have a hitch/line loc on one end?"

Sigh – and people wonder why UL is mocked:

http://www.netknots.com/html/tautline_hitch.html

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Hobbes,

I was simply asking the OP what his intentions were for how he would tighten his lines. It appeared that he may have been tying bowline knots at each end which would not allow for tension other than re-staking. There are several ways to do this as you have shown. I use both tautline hitches on my shelter as well as a prussik.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Bowline to attach it to the tent loop, taut line hitch at the stake end for adjustability. Both hold fine with Triptease, unlike with straight dyneema/kevlar etc. lines that won't hold these knots.

Cheers,

Rick

Dave T

@davet

Thanks Eric and Rick. Bowline at the end it is. There are line tensioners on the contrail, so no worries on tightening it on the Contrail side (and no need for a "sigh" either). Just need a loop that holds on the staking-out end. Thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

………

Dave T

@davet

I never realized people took the perceived lack of another's ability to tie a taut-line hitch so personally. And, anyway, I'll stick with my tiny plastic tensioners that work great, and won't feel like any less of an outdoorsman. If they are good enough for Henry Shires, they are good enough for me.

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

Figure 8 is a really good one too. Especially if you're using it on the stake end. That way you don't have to tie it as a follow through. It's a common knot used in climbing connecting harness to rope, so its pretty strong.

Figure 8 is very easy and fast to tie. Bowline is a great knot too, but easier to make a mistake in my opinion.

Neither slip. Both are good to know.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

………

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

Unfortunately no one is born with the inherited ability to tie knots. Fortunately anyone can learn to tie them if they want to.

Dave T

@davet

welcome to the new BPL, where even the simplest question about what type of knot holds well to make a loop in Triptease can turn quickly into nonsense.

dale, you are needed in the Chaff forum, stat.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>I never realized people took the perceived lack of another's ability to tie a taut-line hitch so personally. And, anyway, I'll stick with my tiny plastic tensioners that work great, and won't feel like any less of an outdoorsman. If they are good enough for Henry Shires, they are good enough for me.

+1

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

For a loop at the end, I almost always use the "double dragon" or "alpine butterbly." It doesnt seem possible for these to slip. You probably wont have a problem with a bowline in triptease, but as rope gets slicker you need something a bit grippier. I use the double dragon and alpine butterfly almost exclusively now. Personally I think they are easier to tie, too.

take a look her for both of them: http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_SingleLoops.htm

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I love the Tautline Hitch.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

………

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Unfortunately no one is born with the inherited ability to tie knots. Fortunately anyone can learn to tie them if they want to.

I'm not sure I can agree with that. My own experience has been that there are knot people and there are those who are not;-)
    With enough effort and incentive both can be taught to tie knots today but only the first group will be able to tie the knot tomorrow. The first group picks up on the spatial relationships in the knot on their own and the second group doesn't see them when pointed out (even when using different colors of rope) … I could go on forever on this. Or perhaps the difference is contained in your words if they want to???

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

………

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> if you can't learn to tie a taut line hitch, stay home.

Well, I think I can tie a taut-line hitch … and a few others.

But try adjusting one in a howling snow storm. There are times when it just is not worth the hassle. Not to mention the way a taut-line hitch tends to slip when moved over an ice-coated bit of string. The little plastic Line-Loks bite through the ice very nicely in my experience.

Cheers

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I have a pre-tied loop on one end of my guylines. I simply use a larks foot to connect it to the loop on the shelter. A plastic line-lock on the other end. I favour the simplicity of the line-lock in bad weather.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

A taut line hitch can sometimes be difficult to get as tight as using a line loc. Line locs are also lost easily, so you still should learn the knot in case you lose it.

Nothing wrong with using them. Don't be bullied or shamed by others into using what they want to shove down your throat ; ).

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

yea I can relate to that. I've got a buddy that I've climbed with multiple times, and every once in a while he would be like – how do you tie this figure eight again – hmmm.

But we learned to climb together and I went home and practiced tying the knots over and over again where he didn't, so it suck with me more because I really wanted to know them. I still do the same with basically every knot I learn. It may take a little practice to get it down especially to the point where it feels natural.

But I enjoy knowing different knots and being able to use them in different situations where others just aren't sure what to do. So practicing tying them is something I enjoy. I think everyone should obtain a little knot tying knowledge. Even if it takes some work getting there.

Bowlines, figure 8s, taut line hitches, water knots… these are a few good ones to know.

In regard to the OP. Both bowlines and figure 8s would work great and are easy to tie once you learn. They wont slip. Neither will some of the others that have been mentioned.

Dave T

@davet

Just for the record, I know how to tie most of these knots. It was more a question about which knots hold well in Triptease; apparently many do, and for those that actually provided useful input, thanks again!

(Dale, you are having a bad coupla days apparently. Hope you have a better tomorrow.)

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

"But try adjusting one in a howling snow storm."

What percentage of backpackers are not only 4 season, but are willing to head out during a winter storm? My guess is that 95%+ are 3 season at most, with perhaps 75% limited to 1 season. Out of the remaining 5%, I would venture to guess that 95% wait for storms to pass first.

(That is, go out in glorious snow covered mountains under crystal clear blue skies. This activity is actually pretty popular in the Sierra, where x-country skiers come out in droves after a big dump.)

If you are in the very small minority that is willing/capable of dealing with winter storm conditions, then your choice of equipment could hardly be questioned. But that's the key – you have both knowledge & judgment regarding your specific environment. You use both to make critical decisions, with your comment about line-lok vs taught line evidence that you know what works best given those conditions.

But let's get back to the 75%; what is a base-line prerequisite of knowledge & judgment? Or is there one? I would suggest there is, just like there is in any active sport.

For any form of backpacking, UL or otherwise, I would include: knowing some basic knots, knowing how to light a fire, knowing how to read a map, knowing how to erect a tent/tarp/shelter, etc. In short, something every 13 yo kid in BSA learns.

I don't care if it's fishing, surfing, skiing, etc – one should assume the responsibility of "not being that guy". That means a little research, watching some video, asking 'how to' questions, etc.

This thread would have gone in a completely different direction if the OP had directly asked for some tips/directions on knots.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

>>This thread would have gone in a completely different direction if the OP had directly asked for some tips/directions on knots.

He did. To wit:

"I was wondering what you all think the best knot for Triptease line is?"

The person you initially replied to was Eric.

I think everyone should know half a dozen or so useful knots. Whether an individual chooses to use knots or not on their tarp guylines doesn't affect me in the least and I'm hard-pressed to come up with a reason I should care.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools