Topic

Stoic Hadron?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stoic Hadron?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Anyone pulled the trigger on stoics new down jacket, the hadron? at a claimed 8oz for the hoody (7 for the jacket) it looks like a contender. I have a couple of stoic pieces that I like, but I would like to know how much of that 8oz is fabric/down.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-cardigan-mens

ps- its not THAT ugly… :P

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I've been looking at the same think; was on SAC yesterday sometime for less than $100, which made it a pretty good deal. I've got a 7-oz Montbell with 2-oz of down in it that works very well, so I'm not in the market right now, but it's still tempting to try it out — I like the anorak style.

Women's colors are better — I had considered getting the gray anorak for her that Stoic just released, but she's already got a Stoic Down Sweater, which fits her very well, though it's heavier, at just under 11oz.

If anyone bites on the Hadron, I'd love to hear impressions. If it's like all the other Stoic/BC stuff, sometime in the next year these will be available for 50%+ off, which could make them a killer deal.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

the anorak has been on steep and cheap recently for $99 IIRC. Stuff usually reappears on there so keep yr eyes peeled.

edit: Tim beat me to the punch…

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

The colors are so darn ugly why couldn't they just make black or grey?

EDIT got one in excaliber/vintage and its pretty slick looking

Eli .

@feileung

"ps- its not THAT ugly… :P"

Yes it is;)

Its the quilting pattern that drives me nuts. What's the point of those two narrow bands below the sternum?

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i sometimes have a problem with rearranging letters in a word. when i first read the name fast i was a bit schocked to say the least.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I saw this on Steep and Cheap yesterday for $94. If I was in the market for a jacket, I think I could look ugly in the woods for that price. 7oz for a large, pockets for my hands, no useless zipper? Sounds good to me. I have some Stoic underwear and their Wrath windshirt – both are great quality.

Also, some one already posted a question on Backcountry.com about the fill weight of the jacket so maybe that will get answered soon. I don't think it's THAT ugly, but maybe Stoic is doing a social experiment to see what colors people will put up with for a lightweight down jacket that can be had for cheap? At the very least, they definitely should have just made a black or gray option though…

Kevin Hall

@classicmagger

Hey:

I got the ugly Purple whatever "Vintage" yesterday on SAC. I choose to combine the shipping so I'll let everyone know how it works out. I have the UL Down Inner Montbell Jacket, but thought this one might be a little warmer with more down. I'll let you know.

-Kevin

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

My theory is they must have gotten a great deal somewhere on fabric colors no one else wanted. Same with zippers and trim. On the upside (for them), in my experience, the ultralight crowd that it looks like these were designed for is not known for having much fashion sense … or rather, they are known for ignoring fashion: function, always, over form, for most ultralighters.

Eric Botshon
    BPL Member

@ebotshon

I emailed backcountry.com a few weeks ago when the pieces came out and got this response:

• Hadron Down Anorak – Men’s – 2.3oz
    • Hadron Down Cardigan – Men’s – 2.0oz
    • Hadron Down Vest – Men’s – 1.7oz
    • Hadron Down Anorak – Women’s – 2.1oz

Kris Bunker

@boomer754

Locale: Michigan

The Anorak is currently on SAC for $99.99 with a grey color option. I just bit the bullet. This will cut the weight of my current insulating layer in half. Nice.

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

And one that actually reviews the jacket instead of the pictures…

"Just got this baby out of the box, so these impressions are from walking around the house.

First off props to the bag it came in: made completely out of corn. It was tasty, after I added salt and butter.

The jacket is very light, as you might have guessed from the specs. When I first put it on I freaked a bit when I saw so much light through the fabric. But after fluffing it up and redistributing the down a touch it looked much better. The color, which my sister laughed at when I showed her the jacket online, looks fine in person and got my sister's stamp of approval. She even tried to steal it from me. Thankfully she weighs about 100lbs and my medium fit her like a burlap sack.

Which brings me to fit. I'm 6'0" and about 152. Jacket fits great. A little baggy around the chest with just a shirt underneath, but the wrist and waist seals keep the warm air in. With the hood on and the buttons buttoned (which makes a great seal as well) I could immediately feel the heat starting to build up. Taking 2 selfies in the mirror was about all I could handle in the 72 degree weather over here.

The hand pocket is nice. Full insulation on the part of the jacket that's under the pocket, and the pocket itself is lightly insulated. I packed the jacket in there, and it is indeed a serviceable camp pillow. Haven't tried but pretty sure you could get the whole jacket inside a Nalgene.

Great first impression, super happy I picked it up from SaC."

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I just ordered one, and plan on comparing it to a Montbell UL inner Parka, which I believe is it's closest competition. The Hardron looks promising though. Comparable down fill by weight, but higher quality down, and lighter overall. Now, whether or not the color is actually bearable…I'll only know upon unboxing

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I ordered one as well in the gray. I wanted something sub 10 oz with a hood to complement my Rab Infinity Endurance. I initially ordered a small, since I'm a small in everything, but then noticed their weird sizing chart and ordered a medium as well. I cancelled the small so I hope the medium fits like their chart indicates.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Chris, I didn't even check the size chart, because like you, I'm always a small.

Sizing looks bizarre according to their chart…everything looks like it's downsized by 1 size. I won't be getting mine for a while since I choose to hold off shipping for a week (using their combined shipping option). Please update us on fit. Thanks

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Will do. I expect it'll show up around Saturday. I have a sneaky feeling I'll be sending it back for a small though.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

…on SAC for about 20 minutes, from 9:35 to 9:54pm mountain time. It ended about four minutes early, even though they are far from selling out…perhaps they sold a bunch in that short time and pulled it early to build more desire/get more people to buy it from Backcountry?

Anyways, I sniped one in the Grey outer/Purple inner color combination, size medium. I too am interested to see how the sizing works out, as the chart did seem to be shifted a bit from the normal ranges…

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I have to say… I am pleasantly surprised.

Got the green hoody in medium, and the color is not as ugly as it looks. It is actually a little darker than it shows online.

It has a real nice hand to it… (pertex quantum)

Medium weighs in at 7.4 oz for me.

The hood fits great once all the buttons are done up. That is good, because it doesn't have any toggles to adjust it.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Matt, did the medium fit true to size or smaller? Thanks

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Mine came today. I'm 5'8 and 135 lbs and wound up getting the medium after checking the sizing chart. IMO, the medium fits me ok. If I flatten it against my torso, I probably have 2 or more inches on either side and the upper arms are way oversized. When I do have it on though, it doesn't appear overly baggy in the torso. I'm not sure how a small would fit and the medium leaves room for some layering underneath so I'll probably keep it. Hard to beat for the price. My digital scale puts it at 7.4 oz.

Me in Medium Hadron hoody

Me in Small Rab Infinity Edurance

More Hadron hoody photos

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I jumped on it when it popped up on sac im going to be comparing it to a down inner parka I got a small I'm 5.8 and 130 so we will see how it fits hope it's warmer then my down inner if not I'm selling both and going myog

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I just received my Stoic Hadron Anorak today, size – large, color – Excalibur/Vintage.

First of all, the value on SAC is ridiculous. I am replacing a Western Mountaineering Flash jacket with this and after the SAC discount, it's less than half the price. It weighs 7 7/8 oz, with the tags still attached, in a large. As much as I like supporting small American manufacturers, I just couldn't pass up the Hadron.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 195-200, depending on the day, 42" chest, 34" jeans. The large, which Stoic specs at 38.8-41.6in chest size, actually has a lot of room for me in the chest and torso area. I think this will be ok, because the extra dead air will add to the insulation value and allow for a midweight layer underneath on extra cold days. I spoke with a BC rep online last night who mentioned that Stoic had adjusted sizing for the Hadron line – the large Hadron is the same chest size as a medium in other Stoic jackets. That said, I probably could go with a medium, if I really wanted, and haven't decided yet. The sleeves are spot-on. I usually take a 34" sleeve in dress shirts and the sleeves on the Hadron, which Stoic says are 34.4" long, are long enough that they don't ride up beyond the wrist when I raise my arms. Yes, the cuffs are a bit tight, but not overly so, and I don't think they'll be an issue.

As a direct comparison to the WM Flash, the Hadron is certainly up to snuff. I like having the drawstring bottom, which the Flash lacks. The Flash scores points on having the perfect elastic around the hood to seal in warmth around the face, and an extra ounce of fill. (WM says 3oz average, Stoic says 2oz) The two coats are made of the same Pertex Quantum, so fabric weight should be similar.

I'm having them send me a medium as well to compare.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have concerns about the loose hood opening on the Hadron. There seems to be a lot of open space around the face in the photos I've seen. I guess an MYOG drawstring would take care of that.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

IMO, at the temps the jacket will be good to a hood isn't even necessary. A thin wool beanie is probably enough for most people, so the lack of a tight fit doesn't concern me.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Got it today first impresions. This thing is awesome I got the Excalibur/ vintage and it looks nice no down sided I could see the hood opining is good size for what it is. It is slightly loftier then my down inner and weighs 6.6 ounces in small compared to 7.5 for my down inner parka. The fit is good a little baggier then the down inner. Over all it's a awesome jacket I'm very pleased with it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools