Topic

52 pieces of adventure advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 52 pieces of adventure advice

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

https://www.outsideonline.com/2257141/52-pieces-adventure-advice

sort of funny

1 Always bring a headlamp.

2 The best place to keep extra batteries for your headlamp is in another headlamp. —An Alaskan guide

4 Don’t buy gear, buy plane tickets. —Yvon Chouinard

etc…

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

27. Only do one stupid thing at a time.

30. If you’re going to go ultra-light, make sure you have ultra-experience.

Great advice, but sometimes you don’t know something’s stupid unless you’ve already experienced it :-)

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Drink before you feel thirsty

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

10. Don’t expect a great night of sleep while camping—expect a series of naps.

Reminds me of a friend who liked to say “I slept great many, many times last night.”

“Going one mile an hour with zero breaks is faster than going two miles an hour and stopping to catch your breath every five minutes.“

Edgar H
    Spectator

@eh

#27 and #43

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

11. When you wake up wondering if you should get out of your sleeping bag/tent to pee or if you can get back to sleep without getting up to pee … just get up and go pee.

48. If you always eat your best food first, you’ll always be eating your best food.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

27 is Only do one stupid thing at a time. —Shannon Walton

43 is It’s easier to stay out than get out. —Mark Twain

it took me a bit to figure out 48

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Drink when thirsty may be true if someone is inactive vs active.    I’m pretty certain I’m putting away and releasing more than 8 glasses a day if I’m hiking.  1 liter every two hours as a general rule.  If I’m home, there’s no way I’m drinking before I’m thirsty, unless it’s beer perhaps.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’m also in drink-when-thirsty camp, no matter the weather.

If I try to “stay ahead of it” I end up pissing like the proverbial racehorse and wasting it. My thirst-meter works quite well and I take a sip when I need one.

People are different, and I know me better than anyone else. On some winter days I might drink a liter or less, but I am hyper-vigilant about not overheating…. I even made up a word for it, ‘hygro-thermostasis’

Which brings us to #53…. There is no excuse for overheating in the winter.

Hard to believe but I’ve seen it so many times it’s laughable.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I really like the advice, “Pick your goal first, then your partner.” That way you are less likely to get a mis-match with the partner/goal relationship.

Last week I backpacked the Grand Canyon, North Rim to South Rim, with a good partner who picked me after reading months of my backpacking comments on forums at his “Long Range Hunting” website.

And it worked. We balanced each other out, two experienced backpacking geezers, Len 71 and me 74. He was a bit slower on the down hill sections due to knee problems and a bit faster on the uphills due to better conditioning. But we both made accommodations to each other. So yes, a partner’s physical attributes are important but so are his/her personality traits.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

#1 – except in Alaska in the summer! I don’t start carrying a headlamp until mid August.

#10 – seriously? Unless I’m in a noisy public campground I sleep soooo much better when camping. After a hard day’s hike, and a bowl of hot soup, curled up in a warm bag with a gentle breeze blowing or the patter of light rain hitting the tent, that’s the best sleep ever!

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I would change—

“The best place to keep extra batteries for your headlamp is in another headlamp.” — to

The best place to keep extra batteries is in your ditty bag.

And—“Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.”

I would change to:  ” . . . and pounds equal pain . . . Unless you want to stay out without interruption for 3 weeks and know that the 40 lbs of food will give you the freedom to do so.”

The more you know, the less you need. —Yvon Chouinard

I would change to:  The more you know, the more stuff you may want to take.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

you could put your spare headlamp with spare batteries in your ditty bag.

lots of combinations of batteries and headlamps you can do in case there are multiple failures

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I carry a spare ditty bag because you can’t be too careful.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

A variation on “only do one stupid thing at a time” that my brother always told me…

“If you’re gonna be stupid, be smart stupid.”

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

got to the wrong forum somehow

Howard Clapsaddle
    BPL Member

@haclil

Locale: Jerusalem & Judean Desert

Re nighttime pees, probably all of us know what Russ W refers to, especially us golden-agers. In a flash of insight I lit on a solution that allows you to stand right by or even over your sleeping bag to pee. Supermarkets sell packets of polyethylene ice cube bags. They have a built-in sort-of funnel that prevents missing the target. One holds a bit over a cup of pee. Being thick they don’t tear. And the pièce de résistance: there’s a built-in tie that firmly closes it when your done. My sleeping bag has an inside pocket at about chest level and that’s where I keep the things.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools