Topic

.65oz/yd – 8d nylon taffeta fabric – FOR SALE — $6/yd

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear .65oz/yd – 8d nylon taffeta fabric – FOR SALE — $6/yd

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Javan-

Very well could be the case, although I would have thought stuffing it would have forced feathers out regardless of fill weight. Pretty easy to test though. I can just make another pillow with 8.4g and see if there's a difference. I don't have very high hopes of this fabric being very downproof either way. With some high quality down who knows though. I've used 7d with 900fp down and lost very little, but used it with some 85/15 and didn't fair near as well.

Ryan

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Update: Pillow #2 on the left with 8.3g of 800fp. Zero down loss in the last week. My daughter and I even played baseball with it around the house some nights. lol

So, less down loss than pillow #1 on the right with 70g of down for what its worth. Pillow #1 does continue to slowly lose down as we play ball and throw it around the house.

pic

Ryan

DJ Leavitt
    Spectator

@olegoat

Locale: Foot of the Wasatch Mts.

Hi Rob

For those of you that are interested, I just put the 8D up on the website. 25% price increase above the $6/yd group buy. I'm glad to hear that it's working out for the brave souls that took the plunge. In all honesty, I had my doubts, and I can't say I like the color… but I like purple, so…

Happy sewing,
    DJ

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Now that it is up for sale on Tigoat, and I am making progress on my projects with it, I though I would update on what I think of the fabric. I am about finished with a karo step sewn through down pants, I will post photos later this week when they are finished. I really like this fabric alot, for me it has been easier to sew, cut, maneuver while trying to sew, and align, than M90. Very similar feel to M90, but you can tell that it weighs significantly less. DISCLAIMER… The reason I am comparing it to M90 is that is the only other fabric in the DWR nylon class that I have used. I also don't know, obviously, how durable it is but for the price I think it was a great find, and only time will tell if it turns out to be an amazing fabric.

The green is ugly as sin, and I sew with red thread so my projects will look like Christmas has come all year long. But I don't really care about how I look in the mountains so no worries for me.

Anyone else in the original group have anything made with it yet? The pillow ryan made allowed me to sleep well that night, knowing I wouldn't be leaking down by the ounce.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I like the fabric only downside is it's not very windproof so I don't think I would use it as a shell on anything. I'm making a quilt with it on the inside and m90 "red haha" on the outside, heck its almost Christmas a little red and green cant hurt right?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jeremy,

I have completed a 1 person tent with the fabric. Haven't had time to set it up and post photos, however.

Daryl

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"I have completed a 1 person tent with the fabric. Haven't had time to set it up and post photos, however."

That should be a very light tent.

Interesting to see how waterproof it will be.

I have a tarp I made with similar fabric that kept me dry in heavy rain, as long as I didn't touch the inner surface with my sleeping bag, then water wicked through like crazy.

john w cochran
    BPL Member

@ciphoto

Locale: South East

I'm wondering if there is any other feedback on this material. I'm looking to make a lighter/summer uq and tq.

It would been fine for that don't you think?

Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools