Topic

.65oz/yd – 8d nylon taffeta fabric – FOR SALE — $6/yd

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear .65oz/yd – 8d nylon taffeta fabric – FOR SALE — $6/yd

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I will take 10 yards and if the waterproofness seems good after getting it and playing around for a bit I might want another 5-10 yards. Do you know what the timeline is looking like, I am getting ready to move and would love to not have to worry about the whole thing until October?

If it isn't too late could the color be a bit less black? Anything really blue, green, red… If not no big deal really.

Thanks

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Bob,
    Why did you post two times to say your not interested?

Hey Josh,
    Could I buy you a MLife membership? I will send you some talking points for some forum topics I want you post in.. HAHA

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

I'll second the request that the fabric be anything other than black. A blinding red would be nice, but that's just my preference.

This thread has turned out, quite unexpectedly, to be comedy gold. Thanks for the laughs everyone.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would third the request for something other than black.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Lawson

I'll have to ask Javan.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Why did you post two times to say your not interested?"

Yes, I believe I did. I really wasn't interested in that unknown stuff the way it was being described. I've gotten cheap nylon fabric before from local sources, and it is just not worth the effort for me to sew up something that gets fabric problems. The M90 stuff, on the other hand, seemed pretty decent.

The original poster here wouldn't do this, but some people will describe a product very loosely so that the purchaser forms his own expectations about it that may be too high, and then the purchaser gets stuck with something.

–B.G.–

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Zohar,

How long after the order is placed can we expect the fabric in the US?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Sure why not. Even if it stinks I can find something to do with it. I will go 10 yards. Black is my preference, but I can live with pretty much any color that isn't so bright it burns the retinas.

Ryan

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

=D

I didn't do it!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I'm still looking for some quantative measures that show the difference between these fabrics. I've been real pleased with M50 so much so I am not sure what do with my next projects. For a bivy I have found internal moisture management to be more important than the occasional few drops of water that blown into the side of my bivy. So I would think M50 is a great material.

Regardless when we say M50 is more breathable, I'd really like to know how much more? When we say M50 is less water resistant I'd like to know how much less. My down items seam to hold down just fine with M50. Is there a way to turn different opinions on down proofness, which is all I have heard, into meaningful measures. My concern is one person posts something and then it becomes a fact. Well I guess this is the internet, where all things written are facts.

Please show me the data!

Jamie

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Javan

What ever you say, +1! great post!

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Zohar,

I'm also interested in when you will be placing the order and what the estimated time from order placement to delivery to you is. Hopefully we can consense upon a color and the order can be placed soon. Have you considered Josh's offer?

Please bump me up from my original order of 5 yards to a revised order of 10 yards. A local meat-space friend of mine is interested too.

Josh,

Thanks for your offering of financial backing to move this forward. Also, thank you for your warnings and sharing your misgivings about this supplier and the salesman Peter Yao. I'm still willing to risk it. As another has said, if it turns out not so good I can find a use for it somewhere.

Jamie,

I'd really like to see some data as well. It'd be real interesting to see how Momentum 90 compares to OWFInc.'s RIPB.9 .9oz./sq.yd. ripstop or how SevenD compares to Momentum 50/55 and how they all compare to some of these much cheaper and readily available Chinese or South Korean imports available to us via Alibaba.com

Perhaps some combination of "Ayce," Ron, Josh and Ryan/BPL would throw down some cash for testing at a reputable lab like the International Down and Feather Laboratory (IDFL). Despite their various branding strategies, "Ayce"+Ron and Josh seem to have trouble, in my eyes at least, in sufficiently differentiating their products from each other and other sources such as OWF Inc. and the other more commodity minded suppliers. This could put that to rest once and for all. The increased consumer knowledge and confidence could only be a good thing for those with many years experience in the field and those that truly stand behind their offering.

There is some precedent already in this inclusion of certification. Sea-to-Summit includes a letter from the IDFL along with their finished sleeping bags certifying the fill power rating of the down within.

With all the hubbub about the decline of good articles on BPL, this could be just the thing to "bring it back" so to speak. Someone page Doctor J!

Despite the IDFL's name suggesting sole domain on tests of the plumage of unlucky fowl they perform a reported 15,000 tests a year on textiles and have developed tests for Downproofiness, Air Permeability, Thread Count, Tensile Strength, Tearing Strength, Fiber Composition among others. They don't list a test of DWR, but I recall seeing some tests performed either by the BPL staff or someone on these forums so I imagine they must have some test for it. I called them up just to chat recently (about down) and learned a great deal.

If all combinations of those named parties are uninterested or unwilling to do the tests at a reputably laboratory then perhaps a group of us here on the forums could organize it ourselves. After my conversation with the IDFL I get the feeling that if we were willing to put the test on the super slow track and explain we're just a bunch of crazed hobbyists they'd cut us a good price in return for some community good will.

If testing by the sellers of the fabric or publisher of this magazine doesn't go forward but a community effort does, I volunteer to take the time to gather samples from listed suppliers on Alibaba.com and chip in at least $35 (the amount I'm spending on this fabric offered by Zohar/Paul Yao) to contribute towards the testing.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Zohar,
    Thanks for starting such an entertaining thread.

If you end up with any dark color other than black, I will throw $35 in for 5 yds. No PM, just msg. me at [email protected].

What fun!

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

De Guerre

"Despite their various branding strategies, "Ayce"+Ron and Josh seem to have trouble, in my eyes at least, in sufficiently differentiating their products from each other and other sources such as OWF Inc. and the other more commodity minded suppliers. This could put that to rest once and for all. The increased consumer knowledge and confidence could only be a good thing for those with many years experience in the field and those that truly stand behind their offering."

:D

When it comes to 20Ds 1 of the 4 mentioned gets it from 2 of the 4, 3 of the 4 have the same stuff, all from 1, as do 4 of the 4. 1 always gets it from 1, 1 gets it from 2, 4 get it from 1, 1 claims to always get it from 1, and 1 doesnt know where they get it from. I hope that clears things up, oh wait, what about Oware's Quark-Tex?

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

We're past the halfway to 100 yards now and that doesn't include however much Zohar himself is looking for. I think we should try to finalize the color choice before Monday when, hopefully, the order can be placed.

So far it seems everyone has come out against black, someone has mentioned a preference against the typically drab colors of technical wear, someone has mentioned a preference towards a dark color that isn't black, one person has mentioned a preference against a retina burning color. I had expressed interested towards a blinding red, but I hereby abandon the "blinding" qualifier and can take or leave "red," but I would still prefer a red.

I think this "firebrick red" may sassifiy all stated preferences so far:

asdfasfdasfdasfd

Does anyone object to/block this "firebrick red"? If so, please offer a specific counter-proposal.

I'm just trying to bottom-line organizing the choosing of the color. If any of this isn't agreeable to any stake-holder, please speak up.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

As for funding the 8D, looks like 100 yards will be met pretty easy. If not, like I said, I'll fund the remainder. It can be spoken for, after the fabric is ordered.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Josh,

:)

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

except the name of that color needs to be more like light hearty red or something, bricks are too heavy… Sorry that was the only one liner I could come up with.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

I'll go for 5 yards, let me know when and where to PayPal. I have PMs set up.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

If you are willing to chuck it into a satchel and send it to oz (obviously paid for by me) I would be after 10 yards. This seems like an excellent material to practice on for jackets/ windshirts/ inner tents etc before grabbing 7D or something else.

Thanks again for organising this!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Any color but black (or white). Hope that's not asking too much.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

This mill works with TPX numbers for colors. Here is a tool http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/000000/ that will help convert Hex colors(computer friendly) to TPX. Moniters vary, so check the colors on as many screens as possible.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Josh,

Thanks for the tip.

The closest TPX color to the hex #B22222 "firebrick red" I posted a swatch of is called "18-1555 TPX Molten Lava". It matches 98% based on some math and looks pretty close to my eye on my monitor, but is not an exact match.

I hope this is still okay with everyone. It's a very minute change. Please speak up if you'd like a different TPX color and provide a specific counter-proposal.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I'm good with red, or any color for that matter.

Still in for 5 yds.

z jack

@zoharj

How about forest green? I really dont like red, i could do it though if yall dont like green.

Once we figure out the color we can place the order

I have created a Google document containing the requested orders. Please check the document and confirm that your order is correctly entered. Also enter your email address and shipping address. The spreadsheet is editable. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiXDTaNWtzH5dE84cXVNZXdWaDVpM0FfaG00dXZZWmc&hl=en_US

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools