Topic

Backcountry Boiler Mk II available!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backcountry Boiler Mk II available!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Why not just buy one of these ? They are cheap. Pretty light. Does it all.
    http://www.amazon.com/inch-Thai-Aluminum-Hotpot-serves/dp/B00012F3O0/ref=lh_ni_t_hot pot

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How would you propose to pack your design? With Ti foil construction and no rigid base, what's to keep it from getting crushed?

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

"How would you propose to pack your design?"
    The 0,03in ti foil I am thinking of is reported to spring back, ie doesnt remember bends, like aluminium: so just collapse around pot, and place in stuff sac, in an outer rucsac pocket/ strapped to rucsac I would suppose.

If collapse-able foil one piece fire base, doesnt work out well for packing,
    I could keep the traditional cone solid firebase, as used by back country boiler and other chimney kettles, storing it upside down inside the upper cone, just like the well
    the standard kettles store.

Steve Martell: thanks for carbonx idea.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Why not just buy one of these ?
    Yes only 3 pounds and just one foot wide…

Andrew
    the Swiss Volcano thingo was meant to be used with alcohol/Esbit and the Borde stove.
    That is with a somewhat confined flame, so not wood.
    (so don't look too closely at that design…)
    Your step 1 and 2 are not going to work…
    Just for fun ask someone with a Ti Caldera Cone to pick that up with boiling water inside and try to pour water out of it.
    I actually have that but don't really need to do it to figure the outcome.
    Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

OK so you got me on my original post here. You should build one and start your own thread.

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Franco said:
    "Your step 1 and 2 are not going to work…
    Just for fun ask someone with a Ti Caldera Cone to pick that up with boiling water inside and try to pour water out of it."

1) The diagram shows a pot grab: I used that on my prototype.
    I am not sure what point 2 is.

Ken: I don't need another pot, the pot is viewed as part of the kettle: you cant drink straight out of the back country boiler, so I don't view leaving the blackened pot in the boiler as a minus compared to it.

NB The idea is to appeal to extreme ultra-light persons, for whom the BCB is too heavy, with a few little compromises whilst keeping its main advantages, not to compete directly.

Also, an inverse chimney is the only MYOG way I can think of, that doesn't involve a lathe or DWI machine.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well build one and let's see how happy you are with it.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Alan,

"I think I might.
    The stainless version worked OK so far: 2in gap between pot and standard fire-base.
    and a top lit twigs fire boiled 500ml in approx 7 minutes, without refuelling."

Yours is an interesting idea. I am having a hard time visualizing how your top vents work. I would be interested in seeing your stainless version that already works. Thin stainless makes nice stoves. If you do post some pictures maybe you could start a new thread without Backcountry Boiler in the title.

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Ti/Lighter conventional BCB:

presumably the BCB fire-base could be made of titanium.
    Alternatively if that is not lighter than alu, then what about ti foil around a wire skeleton.

I get the impression the BCB stow-away fire-base is liked, for compactness.

For my alternative comprise ideas I may start a new thread: "Inverse cone chimney kettle" (too tired now).

NB the vents in my stainless steel cone are just 4 large triangles near cone top("pointing up") biased to cone's rear hemisphere (with respect to input vents in fire base). One (the left one) is slighter deeper, just large enough to feed sticks through.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

How awesome for Devin. 16 days to go still and just shy of $46,000.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

One week to go. $51,341 469 backers! Kick Ass Devin!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Hey, hey, thanks Ken! I'm going to send out the "one week left" message to the mailing list tomorrow. I'd really like to get over the 500 backers mark.

Not bad for a BPL MYOG project. :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'd like to see you make the 60k mark. Best of luck!

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

David Ure

@familyguy

No – still waiting. Should be soon?

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hey Josh, David,

Soon is still the word. I had hoped to have them out, but the shop ran into some problems with the machine used for one of the parts. They've been trouble-shooting for the past week+ sending the electronics here and there for analysis. We're working on a work-around and I'll be up there tomorrow to hopefully approve it and get the first few finished parts out of there.

Best,
    Devin

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If all you want to do is boil water this is "OK".

But I'd much rather have the versatility of a stove/pot combo that can also COOK.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yes Eric. Isn't it great to have choices.

You're such a pimp. Shameless

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

One day I will be able to afford one.

In the meantime, I'm jealous of your ingenuity and proud of your success.
    Its great to see the amazing free enterprise at its best for a good guy!
    I wish you even more success with your product/future products!

Just to reiterate what others have said…job well done Devin!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks for such kind words, Adam. It really wouldn't have happened but for the support from this forum.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Devin, you are truly an innovative man, a gracious BPLer, and a good and decent man. I wish you all the best in this next chapter. Keep on keepin' on!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks, Gary. Likewise!

David Ure

@familyguy

Any idea on whether these have been completed and when they will be sent out to the early adopters?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I got a shipping confirmation on January 18th. It is now the 29th. Priority mail. No package. No tracking update. Crazy.

Nervously waiting. I really want to take one to the GGG.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Ken,
    I got the same email with a tracking number and last week was finally worried that the package was lost our something so I emailed Devin. I'll quote his email for ease since I'm on my phone…I hope he doesn't mind.

"These emails are sent automatically as soon as we print a label, but we're still working on getting some of these in mail. As soon as USPS has it, which should be Monday, the tracking info will update and you can follow it.

I know it's a bit confusing, but the program we use offers either this email or nothing. Sorry!"

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools