Topic

MLD I don’t get it!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD I don’t get it!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Seems like everyone has such good things to say about Ron, so that's why I ordered a Burn about six weeks ago, then called him the next day and ordered a quilt and a chest pocket to add to the order.

The site said 4-6 weeks for orders, when I ordered it. I ordered it on March 28th. Anyway, I get an email today saying my credit card didn't go through, because he uses Pay Pal and yada yada yada. Anyway, I was going to send him a check, until he said it's going to be something like four to eight weeks from now before it's done. Well, I sold my pack, when I figured I would get my Burn in six weeks and now it's sounds like another couple months which blows my mid May trip all to hell. I'm a little ticked off and just thought I would vent. I need to find another pack now, for my upcoming trip, so I guess it's back to researching packs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Edit: Sorry for sounding like an Ass first thing in the morning.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Call your credit card company and see if what if any charges were made to the card.

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

I was able to find a new Burn here from a member. I got it Saturday. It's a sweet little pack. You may want to put a Want to Buy post up. I don't know what size you wear but this guy still has a small he may sell.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Have you talked to Ron about the situation? He's a pretty standup guy- he might be able to help work this out. Might be an honest mistake and he should probably have that chance prior to a negative post. Just a thought…

I bought stuff from Ron back when he only had a couple of handmade items on eBay. Since then I've bought a bunch of items along the way. Always been a standup guy.

Best of luck with your pack.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

You should call Ron today. I have only dealt with him once but have read many good things about his service. Really a shame you sold your pack.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

We are here to do whatever we can to help Clay.

Perhaps he misunderstood a few parts from our phone call last night, or maybe it was me since it was almost midnight. Yes,, we evn try to help at midnight.

We have exchanged emails and worked through multiple online order attempts and had a couple phone calls. We think there must be some small secutiry feature with his card that prevented us , and it looks like him too, from being able to get it to work.

We contacted him again today and hope to be able to help him out as soon as one of our five payment options are concluded.

A general note for folks, we use paypal as our online card processor, like many many online shops. Paypal is essentially a giant bank and offers many online banking service beyond the commonly known online Send Money type of actions.

You do not need a paypal account to process a card on the sites that use paypal as the card processor, but sometimes if you do have a paypal account and some info like your address is out of date it may not work. It is a security feature. Best to keep your paypal account info updated , as you would for any active bank account, or to delete it completely if you have an old paypal account you never use.

Another online card secutiry point is that calling a company to give them a card is not more secure than doing it yourself. A possible exception is if you are on a non secure network or you suspect your computer is infected. Most companies use the exact same system to enter the info you would but when you call, a person writes down the info on paper or enters it into a local sytem that sees and keeps the info. On the MLD site when you do it online yourself no one, including me, can see or access the card info- it processes in the background at the vard service level bypassing my local server.

Anyway, we hope to be able to help Clay and he now has all the info needed to help him complete his order. Back to building gear!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Dittos to the supportive MLD Comments. Nothing but fine service for me, as the purchaser of a duomid setup and innernets etc… Changed some things and communication is always key. Took care of me beautifully…. and the gear is worth the wait and patience. You just might be the only member here with just one pack! I need to get some tips from you on how to scale back… Also try requesting a loaner pack from someone here. … It's a fantastic community.

Ed

Sorry, posted at the exact second Ron was……..

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Wait for the Burn. You'll love it. MLD makes fantastic stuff and is always my first go-to company for gear. You just need to plan ahead and embrace the wait.

Best of luck!

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Not sure what percentage of burn's are ordered custom, but judging from the burn threads, it's probably significant. Mine had custom options and they really add to the range of trips where it will work for me.

You might check into borrowing a pack for your upcoming trips. Not sure if you let Ron know you needed to have the pack by a certain date before ordering, but it's not a bad idea to let cottage manufacturers know when you have a "must recieve by" date.

Hope it works out for you.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

Try them. Their packs are in stock and they have shipped all three of my orders on the next day. (lt3 poles, tent, murmer pack)

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I don't know what happened exactly, but I used the same card, when I first ordered the Burn, back in March and it seemed like it accepted it, maybe something was different then, I don't know. I don't really know how the cottage dealers work, other than buying stuff that is in stock, so I just assumed that if they say 4-6 weeks, then that means in 4-6 weeks you can expect your order, so I planned accordingly.

Ed, it's an easy thing to do, once you commit to it. You just get rid of something, before you get something new. The key is not to wait till after you get something new, because then it's easy to talk yourself into keeping both.

Ron, I used a different card last night and it seemed to take it, so hopefully, I can get the pack in time. Please let me know if I can't, so I can make other plans.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I've always taken estimated dates as just that: estimates. I've had some gear ship early and some late. Part of the nature of the beast.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

> I don't know what happened exactly, but I used the same card, when I first ordered the > Burn, back in March and it seemed like it accepted it

PayPal can be pretty flaky sometimes. You probably just ran into a PayPal bug.

Paul H

@phsycle

Locale: Rockies

Sounds like MLA is trying to make things right. Hope it works out. If not, FWIW, I ordered a ULA pack on Wed. It was processed and shipped the same day. (I got it the next day as I'm the same state). Chris took my call at 8am. Told him I needed the pack by Thursday and he said no problem. Excellent service.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I got my Burn today and it looks great-excellent workmanship. Thanks a bunch Ron, I really appreciate you helping me out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools