Topic

Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrated eggs that taste like eggs!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

I tried these eggs the other day and they are the best dehydrated eggs I have ever tasted!! Great addition to any trip!

http://www.nutriom.com/

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, those look interesting. I may need to give them a try. The last brand of powdered egg I tried (recommended on another backpacking site) did not go over well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Those certainly look worth a try. Mmmn eggs.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Many of you prefer those dehydrated whole eggs. Some of us need to avoid cholesterol, so dehydrated egg whites are good. At a minimum, they work for trail recipes that call for eggs. I use Deb El Just Whites, in a 3-oz container.

Whatever you do, if you mix water with the dehydrated powder, add in some oil to restore the oily egg texture. I use olive oil, but you could try corn oil, peanut oil, or any other.

On one group backpack trip, I got up early and whipped up some dehydrated eggs for breakfast. Then, to add some illusion, I set out an empty dozen-size egg carton by the kitchen. After breakfast, everybody thanked me that it was a good idea for me to have brought along fresh eggs, or so they thought.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Can those of us used to the MH and Freezer Bag Cooking style of eating, rehydrate these eggs in the same manner as we do with our MH and Freezer Bag style meals?

The website seems to recommend mixing and then cooking. I'd be interested if you can boil the water and then add it to the powdered egg mix and stir, close up the bag and let it "cook" / rehydrate.

Does anyone know if this alternate method would work?

Party On,

Newton

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> I'd be interested if you can boil the water and then add it to the powdered egg mix and stir, close up the bag and let it "cook"

It doesn't look like it. It seems to require cooking. "Once OvaEasy is reconstituted with water, it behaves exactly like any liquid whole egg"

Of course, if you don't mind an egg shake…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I read about these! They taste so good because they actually dehydrate the chicken before it lays the egg! The egg is already dehydrated when the chicken lays it. Science, how cool.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yep, I have been recommending OvaEasy since I first got them through PackitGourmet a couple years back. They taste, look and smell like fresh. They are worth the cost!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

a five toed silkie

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

LOL DOUG!!!!!!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Ova Easy is our preferred brand, that and the scrambled egg mix from Walton Feed. I've also had luck with Adventure Egg.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

+1 on adventure eggs. http://www.adventureegg.com/
    YUM

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

AE is quite good although I have to say that Ova holds my #1 spot. For me it is the smell that won me over.

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

Sarah, where do you buy these in the Puget Sound area? Freddys?

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

I would love to try the OvaEasy eggs but the shipping for a bag is more than the eggs.

Anyone have a single eggs worth they could part with?

I called the company and they don't send samples and have a good explanation.

I will paypal shipping cost if anyone would send a sample.

My wife will kill me if I spend money experimenting with "another" expensive camping food item
    that we don't use.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Wesley, I wish! For now I get Ova online via Packitgourmet but!! new to the scene is Hungry Hikers based out of Portland, Or.
    http://www.hungryhikers.com/products/ova-easy-egg-whites
    http://www.hungryhikers.com/products/ovaeasy-eggs

Apparently if you live in a certain zone they will even bike over your order ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Craig, I am out of Ova but I have an extra bag of Adventure Eggs if you would like them? Let me know….. sarah @ trailcooking dot com

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Has anyone tried to dehydrate uncooked eggs for mixes etc? I am going to try this weekend in my new nesco.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34714&highlight=eggs

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Brent, be very very careful if you choose to do it. Salmonella is a real risk.

If you want eggs for mixes, not for cooking outright check out the 1 lb bags that Frontier Foods carries online.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

My new Nesco Pro has a temp setting and I plan to set it at 160deg for a period of time to kill anything nasty.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Commercially prepared dried eggs are pasteurized. For good reason. Eggs are notorious carriers of salmonella. This is also a reason why drying uncooked poultry is discouraged.

Most good dehydrators have adjustable settings to 160 or higher but that doesn't mean it is safe.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

I always cook them before I eat them.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

OK, this thread intrigued me, so I spent some time trying to learn about the chemistry of eggs. I looked up the coagulation temperatures of both egg whites and yolks, as well as the temperature required to kill salmonella. To avoid boring you, I'll just list what I think are fairly accurate numbers:

Coagulation temperature for egg whites is about 140*F.
    Coagulation temperature for egg yolks is about 149*F.

Salmonella will be killed at a temperature of 130*F for 120 minutes,
    -OR- at a temperature of 135*F for 38 minutes.

So it looks like there might be a window of opportunity for actually dehydrating eggs, by keeping the temperature at 130*F. In the time it would take to drive all of the moisture out of the eggs, all salmonella will have been neutralized.

It might be worth a try for someone to experiment with. For my part, I'll stick with Ova Easy.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

So, I had purchased some of these, not really thinking the cooking thing through. I wondered, though, could you rehydrate them in a freezer bag, then put the bag in boiling water to cook? No pan that way, texture might be odd.

I have heard of folks using the One Egg Wonder pan from Wal-Mart, and putting it on top of their Caldera Keg windscreen to cook scrambled eggs. The pan is small and pretty light-weight, but then you'd have a one-time use item.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You can do bag omelets, just be careful the bag doesn't touch the dry edges of the pot – treat it like fresh eggs time wise.

Anyhow, also…you can steam egg "muffins" really easy, same method used for steaming real muffins. Works great! I talked about it a couple years ago…but not sure if I posted the photos here though – it is on my website under the "FauxBaker" :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools