Topic

Inov 8 Shoes … Just Another Cult ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inov 8 Shoes … Just Another Cult ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Wish I could write more, but no time. I've only got about 60 miles on mine, but so far I like them a lot. I have VA prescribed orthodontics and they work really well with them.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm torn. I love the X-Talon 212s. The grip, feel, and weight are amazing.

But my feet ached in them more than other shoes and the pads of my feet began to hurt for the entire week after an outing. My stride and technique could be to blame, of course. But when I switched back to Salomon Speed Cross 2s (inferior grip and heavier) my foot aches went away and I ended up with happier feet.

James S

@hikinnc

:)

Surely you meant orthotics, you two..

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I went to the store intending to buy Merrell Trail Glove shoes based on what I'd read about them. I tried many different brands and models, but walked out with a pair of Inov8 flite 230's because they felt like they were custom made for my feet and had a minimal sole very much like the Trail Gloves. The New Balance MT101's were a very close second, but a little thicker and softer than what I wanted.

I knew instantly that I didn't like the Trail Gloves. They felt like someone messed up on the design due to a lump under the ball of the foot and a tight, very inflexible heel last which seemed out of place on such a minimal shoe.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

unless they are putting their foot in their mouths.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I noticed the lump under the ball of the Trail Gloves as well. Something about them just didn't feel right for my foot.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I was trying to resist this thread as I don't feel that I've proven out my Inov8s yet, but since this thread is still alive I am going to add my 2 cents. I have a high instep and weak joints which has kept me away from going the trail runner route, but I still wanted to lighten up my footwear. I picked up a pair of 390s from Gear Trade and I couldn't have been happier. I have put about 60 miles on them so far and I only switched to a heavier boot in winter for the insulation. Otherwise, they feel like I am wearing my Tevas. Lightweight yet supportive. I loosen the laces in camp, but other than that I don't seem to be getting that 'my dogs are tired and worn' feeling that I used to get from heavier boots. I like them so much that I have already thought about the next pair when the time comes – not which mfg, which Inov-8 model. Somebody pass the Kool-Aid.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Yes James. Thank you for the kind correction. :)

Ed Schmidt

@suttree

Locale: ON, CANADA

Reasons I loved the X-Talon 212 on the PCT and will wear the X-Talon 190 on the CDT:

(1) Lightweight++
    (2) Grippy
    (3) Durable (1000+ miles on my last pair)

That said, no shoe is appropriate for all (or even most). These shoes happen to be excellent for on-trail long-distance backpacking on feet adapted to minimalist shoes.

The price has gone up, though… Stop buying them, so I can get them cheaper!
    ;)

Gary Dowe

@opishing

Locale: Northern Ontario

Last year I switched from traditional backpacking boots to a pair of 315's based on information and reviews from this site. I used them for the coastal trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park – a rough trail in some parts with quite a bit of rock hopping, slab walking and some beach and trail walking. I couldn't ask for more from a shoe. The grip was great,no blisters or raw spots, and when I rolled in to camp at the end of the day there were no thoughts of getting my boots off to put on camp shoes. I was carrying about 25 lb load (full, day one)and there was no issue with support.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Innov8 a cult? No way. But there is a backpack brand that will remain unnamed that qualifies…………

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> Terroc 330

By far one of my favorite runners. Mine are very worn down and overdue for replacement, but are not causing problems. I recently started using Fivefinger Treks. The transition to minimal was facilitated by the 330's especially since they were well worn.

I can see buying another pair of Inov8 in the future. Not sure if I will stick with the 330 with only reason to just try another model.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I currently have Solomon trail runners. I like them, but I'd like to try other options. I found a store that carries New Balance and Inov8. I found that the New Balance 101s fit well (and I like my NB running shoes, so I thought I'd try them first), but the 101s might be a bit too minimalist for me. They didn't have a full complement of Inov8s on hand–the Rocklite 268 was all they had, and I can't find a store with the other models.

Any advice?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I believe the 268 is female specific where the 310 and 315 are unisex (ie. male). The 268 is likely closest to the unisex 295.

Michael Bachman

@rivrfox

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

There was a point where I could have shoe goo'd them to make them last longer but I let them blow out…def. put the 315s through their paces.

innov8
    innov8
    innov8
    innov8

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I have been a huge fan of the Brooks Cascadia 5's since they came out.

Than I bought myself a pair of the x-Talon 212 and was amazed how just how much lighter they were. I used them for a number of trips and came to really like them.

I have since switched to the X-Talon 190 and have not noticed any comfort difference between the 212 and the 190 (though I can notice a slight difference in the weight) except if I am walking on shale and other loose sharp material.

I will say that the X-Talon 190 really peaked my interest because they get you just a bit closer to the ground. I *love* the rubber spikes on the x-talon shoes and while they do wear down faster if I am road walking, I rarely do so.

As others have said, the toe box is way longer than any other shoe I have ever used. That was a bit strange getting use to. Looking down and seeing my shoe extend a couple of inches beyond where I know my toes end at. However, when I have been doing really steep downhill hikes that has been a major benefit. No more having the front of my toes slam into the shoe with every step.

They do fit rather tight (as a USA and not UK user) so I have started to order a full size larger than normal. I usually wear a 10.5 and with my Brooks I would order a size 11. With the x-talon I order a 11.5 so that if I do need to wear a double layer socks (snow/ice conditions) I can at least get two pairs of socks and not have toe-squeeze issues.

John

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools