Topic

Ultralight Tip of the Week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Tip of the Week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 431 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yup. A really good idea. I was using 4 baggies in a small stuff sack from my night cloths and suplimented with my muddy pants. Thanks Mike, one of those tips that costs next to nothing, maybe an ounce in weight for the baggies and is mostly a matter of technique. I loved it… Far better than shoes! (Bag is turned inside out, of course.)

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Hey Mike,

Just wanted to chime in and let you know how much I enjoy reading your tips each week. I'll be ordering your book for sure. The cartoons are great too. I can't wait to try your pillow idea.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Neat idea with the pillow. Seems like a bit of a hassle to set up, but maybe that's just because I haven't tried it.

I usually do one of the following, depending on what I have with me and what's dry:

-Ball up my pack.
    -Partially inflate an empty 1 liter Platypus bottle (it's okay if there's a bit of water in there)
    -Use a shoe

All of these have worked fine for me, with no weight penalty or extra hassle since I already have the items with me. Then again, I sleep easily and heavily, so I've got that working in my favor.

The ziploc idea admittedly sounds more comfortable. ;)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Ken,

It's easier to set up than you might think. Poof – Zip – Stuff (repeat times 7) easy!

I've used my shoes PLENTY! They are pretty good, but imperfect.

I once filled my backpack with pine-cones. THey were crunchy and all dry. I was fortunate to bed down right next to a tree that literally had then piled up under the tree. It was magical!

Peace,
    Mike C!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> It was magical!

lol – i can hear robert duvall saying: i love the smell of crunchy pine cones in the morning

P.S.

Really am enjoying your book. Excellent!

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I can go you one better than ziplock baggies!

BPL used to offer inflatable pillows used by EMTs. About 4 years ago I found a website that offered them in bulk and a bunch of us BPL members bought a box of them and shared them out at cost. They come in a box of 50 for $25 and if partially inflated are supremely comfortable. I kept 5 and I have used one for over 24 nights. They have a flocked cottony surface. I have had to replace the inflator straw several times because I have either lost it or it has bent and leaked air. Simple to replace with any drinking straw. They weigh a hefty .20oz!! I don't use mine uncovered (hence the reason it has lasted so long and isn't a dirt mess). I use the flocked pillow case cover that you ucan get at REI for about $9. Adds a small bit of weight but…

Here is the site:

http://www.quickmedical.com/bed-sheets-pillows.html

The 14 inch size is perfect. The larger 19 inch is just too big and your head rolls around on it.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Reply to Mitchell:

Iv'e used these white inflatable pillow that you recommend. I thought these were pretty good, but I found they were small, and my head would sort of roll off. The only version that worked for me was the DUAL-CHAMBER version, but these are no longer available on the BPL site.

The version (with the multiple zip-lock baggies) is a smidge heavier but (for me anyway) much MORE comfortable!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

BPL has them in stock now http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/new_backpacking_gear.html not the dual chambered ones

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

just hoping i don't dream about a Poop-in-a-ziploc pillow tonight

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

LOL @ George

Daniel Paladino
    BPL Member

@dtpaladino

Locale: Northern Rockies

Tried this out down on the eastside of the Sierras this past week. Great tip! Thanks Mike.

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

"just hoping i don't dream about a Poop-in-a-ziploc pillow tonight"

What????

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Al, check out WAG Bags… You might be sorry you asked though! ;)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You might want to check out the Kooka Bay inflatable pillow at only 1.3 oz. http://kookabay.com/pillows.html
    It's lighter than Mike's!

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

This latest tip is awesome! I think it'll save me a lot of time and hassle in my backpacking as I grab water from beaver ponds and streams in the bottom of valleys.

my favorite part: prepare the mixture at the beginning of the day and have only the one bottle to worry about while hiking. Bril!

-Dan

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Good idea for Aqua Mira users Mike!

I prefer the ease of use and strength of Katadyn chlorine dioxide tabs over Aqua Mira for my hydration bladder.

BTW, if I need faster tablet purification I crush them in my spoon before adding them to the hydration bladder.

For quick purification for my energy drink bike bottle I use a SteriPen Adventurer.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Pre-mix AM at your own risk.

Related thread.
    "The reason that the instructions call for a reaction wait time of 5 minutes is so that the mixture can be added to the water at the peak of ClO2 production. If a person adds the mixture too early or late, the final concentration of ClO2 in the water can be significantly less than the required 4ppm."

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Reply to Michael Ray:

Yes, I agree, one should use this system with a bit of your own personal insights.

The "MIX" has a time of effectiveness that has a lot of variables. It is my understanding that the YELLOW color is an indication that the MIX is effective. The system of the small MIX bottle has long been used by ultra-light hikers.

The safest way to use this system is to be careful with the MIX (avoid heat and light) and to use the mix soon after creating.

Also – I feel am cautious about the water source. I try to get my drinking water from the cleanest source i can.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

"The "MIX" has a time of effectiveness that has a lot of variables. It is my understanding that the YELLOW color is an indication that the MIX is effective. The system of the small MIX bottle has long been used by ultra-light hikers."

Pre-mixing is generally OK. If you have any immunity, a good mix will likely work. To be 99.9% sure, just double the dosage. All of this is pretty good advise. But, some people will take it as gospel and think they are the words of absolute. Not true. Even following the instructions somone will likely get sick…that is the nature of statistics. 99.999% still means that 1 in 100000 will get sick with Gardia or Crypto. And, AquaMira does NOT work that well against tapeworms. It does, but slowly and it only takes one egg, not 6-7 cysts, to aquire the disease.

As with a LOT of UL techniques, it takes a knowledge of what you are doing and the terrain you are doing it in to be safe. From warmth, shelter, walking, water and food…it all requires more from an ultralight camper than the average car camper.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

James wrote:

"As with a LOT of UL techniques, it takes a knowledge of what you are doing and the terrain you are doing it in to be safe. From warmth, shelter, walking, water and food…it all requires more from an ultralight camper than the average car camper.

Mike C's reply:

Yes – I agree completely. But, that extra knowledge isn't really all *that* much. I feel it takes just a little bit of extra dedication to solve most of the key differences.

This tip on AQUAMIRA was a tricky one for me to write and share in a way that I feel is fair to the user. If you read the text, i am very clear that this change from the directions involves a high level of personal responsibility. I chose my words carefully.

I'll also say it again. I myself (yes me) choose my water sources VERY carefully. And for the most part, I travel and camp in places with VERY clean water. When I can I don't treat my water at all. I feel that this is connected to the way I use aquamira.

I highly recommend that everyone READ the article below:

Sipping the Waters: Techniques for Selecting Untreated Backcountry Water for Drinking
    by Michael von Gortler, MD
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sipping_water_drinking_untreated_backcountry_water.html

This excellent essay helped me a lot to define when and how I choose my water. I love NOT treating my water at all, and this is a great starting point. In my book I share my own "checklist" of when and how to drink un-treated water. I was inspired by this article by Dr. von Gorter.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Mike,

I just finished reading your ultralight tips book. I must say it is the best how-to book on backpacking I have ever read and I've read most of them. Thank you for your work and your love to share with others.

By the way, I read your book on my Kindle. For 10 ounces I can bring literally hundreds and hundreds of good books on the trail with a battery that lasts 30 days!

Blessings,
    Rodney

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

"But, that extra knowledge isn't really all *that* much. I feel it takes just a little bit of extra dedication to solve most of the key differences."
    Ha, ha…of course. I agree it isn't *that* much. You really enjoy being out there, striving to keep things light and still be comfy, as do I. You are really interested in all that stuff. You even wrote a book (and a good one I will add) on the subject. I tend to think you might be minimizing the effect your book will have on so many other campers, that is to say on lightweight, SUL, XSUL backpackers. As an author, you know that choosing your words can carry a big impact on a reader. You choose your words very well!

I will be bringing your book, Don's book and several others up to the Cedarlands BS Camp this summer. These are for the mostly younger scouts with a thirst for hiking, generally. But, I worry that they may take things a bit too literaly, without thought.

Unfortunatly, or maybe fortunatly, there is very limited access to the internet and phone services for the scouts. While I have read Dr. von Gorter's artical, I do not totally agree with him in spots and he has clearly spent several years hiking at least one area to develope his writing. My concern, to reiterate, is that one of the scouts will pick up on it and decide this is "How to do it" with no real thinking … something they will have little practice with doing … both the thinking part and the selection of a good water source.

Anyway, don't let my poor words disrupt your meanings…just keep them coming!

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

Where did you buy the black mini dropper bottle?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

You can get them at US Plastics.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 431 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools