Topic

Ultralight Tip of the Week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Tip of the Week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 431 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I like the sequence of the weekly tips. This week shows us how to clean ourselves up after last week's bear encounter.

C Nugget
    Spectator

@nuggetwn

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What would you use in a dessert environment like the Grand Canyon?? I guess smooth somewhat pointed rocks if you can find them in the creek beds? Everything there seems to be quite pointy and sharp.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

There is a lot of sandstone in the desert southwest. This is pretty good. Smooth stones will show up in the natural washes.

That said, many of the pants tend to be prickly and not at all appropriate.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Holy crap Mike.

I've been a zero TP devotee for many years now…but I've never considered "The butt scuff on dewy tufts of grass". I always did love how my dog does that one on the carpet.

Rest assured, I'll be anxiously looking for my first opportunity…and hopefully not interrupted by a troop of scouts.

michael rankin

@michaelb41

He said, "waist."

joseph king

@skinup

#116 best tip ever

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Yes, I have been a no TP hiker for the past few years. Some of my fellow hikers just don't like the idea. My toilet kit is soap.

Anyway Mike, I have been wondering about one thing. Your book along with the video that's floating around showing the process shows you throwing the pieces of sticks, rocks, leaves, grass away from the cathole. I think you use the term "get it out of the system" or something like that.

My question is why? Wouldn't it be better to bury it in the cathole?

Just a wonderin' what the reasoning behind that was.

Scott

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

REPLY TO SCOTT:
    ===================

What I usually say is to put the first few wiping "stones" into the hole, and then toss the other ones "out of the system" I try and toss these under a bush.

I am NOT at all worried that this minimal amount of suspect matter will contaminate anything.

THe biggest issue with the cat hole is that it is near impossible in some places to dig a hole 6 to 8 inches deep. With or without a trowel, it's hard to accomplish!

So – I simply espouse; Do the best you can!

Mike C!

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Thanks Mike.

My sister asked me what to get my brother for Christmas and I told her to go online, type your name and get a few of your books. He was quite pleased and I now have MY books back.

Scott

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Mike…would you recommend this book as a companion to Lighten Up or could one get as much info by just purchasing this book? Thanks.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

LIGHTEN UP by Don Ladigan is an excellent primmer to ULTRALIGHT TIPS.

They are sort of meant to be purchased together, but they certainly stand alone too.

ULTRALIGHT TIPS is dedicated to more advanced tips and techniques. If you are already a seasoned backpacker with a little bit of lightweight experience under your belt, you might not need LIGHTEN UP.

LIGHTEN UP has a really good chapter on bear camping.

Let me also add that I love Don Ladigan! He was absolutely wonderful to work with, and I consider him a true mentor.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you should watch Mike's free instructional videos also

http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/2011/07/video-tutorials.html

Daniel Paladino
    BPL Member

@dtpaladino

Locale: Northern Rockies

Recognize this tip? That's because you've seen it before! Don't worry readers, Mike Clelland is working hard to provide some fresh new tips for the months to come.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Mike, you really nailed it with the top ten. These should be posted as the UL'ers commandments from a god to his chosen people.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Left out my favorite :)

Commandments

Mike, I want to thank you for your efforts to help people enjoy their hiking experience with humor and creativity. Well done!

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

"Recognize this tip? That's because you've seen it before! Don't worry readers, Mike Clelland is working hard to provide some fresh new tips for the months to come."

lol. i was gunna ask if this is ultralight tip of the month now.. :)

Austin Haidinyak

@austinjames77

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I love these books, informative and fun! No matter how much I think I know UL, there's always some tips that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for posting these guys!

Jean-Francois Fortier
    BPL Member

@jffortier

Locale: Québec

How can I access previous "tip of the week" ?

Is it me or what ? The information is so hard to
    find on BPL.

Please help the search engine is driving me crazy ;)

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> How can I access previous "tip of the week" ?

Buy the book! :)

The webpage that has the tip itself only shows the current tip. There is no archive of what they have shown already though if you go through all gazillion pages of this thread, you'll get a good idea of what was covered.

Michael Stancato

@michael7177

Great Cartoons, did Mike do them?

Here's my more mysterious ultralight criteria:

My criteria goes in this order:
    1. Pick the right tool for the job
    2. The tool must be dual purpose or used regularly.
    3. Pick the lightest possible tool.

Price is not part of the equation because it could adversely affect quality. Resources and money will be saved if all the criteria are met.

Heavier items such as homes and furnishings divided by multiple users would equal something light or dual purpose.

Each step is recursive. Upon considering each step I will then reconsider the previous step. For example:

1. Pick the right tool for the job. I must consider whether the job really needs doing in the first place

2. The tool must be dual purpose or used regularly. Upon picking the the right tool I must consider whether I really need anything at all or can make do with what I already have or borrow to accomplish the task.

3. Pick the lightest possible tool. Lightness emerges from careful engineering combined with end user testing and redesign.

Eric Botshon
    BPL Member

@ebotshon

Is anyone else wondering when this will be updated?

In the past it was 2x a week. It has been on the same set of tips for almost a month now.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

We've covered ALL the tips with illustrations. THere are LOTS more tips in the book, but they don't have a cartoon.

So – We can either REPEAT the tips with cartoon, or just post tips without illustrations.

Mike C!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So we've reached backpacking nirvana? No new tips ever. It's all been covered.
    Let's shut down the computer and go backpacking!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Mike,

Loved reading your book and think it is a much better way to intro someone into UL/Lightweight backpacking vs. the older and out of date BPL book.

I would vote for having your Illustrations rotated continuously because there are always going to be people visiting BPL who are new to the whole UL/lightweight thing.

Plus, it has to help with book sales. :)

-Tony

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Oh fear not – I have GOBS more tips – just tips without cartoons!

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 431 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools