Topic

Ultralight Tip of the Week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Tip of the Week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 431 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Great series. However, I have to differ here. I have foot/ankle issues and have found a super loose lace to be absolutely disasterous. Obviously everybody's needs will be different when it comes to feet. My mantra is: your boot/shoe is only as good as it's lace-up. What that means has to be discovered by each individual. Also of course for me at least terrain also dictates how I lace up my boots. FWIW.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Feet are as different as fingerprints. Sometimes shoes need inserts. Sometimes they don't. Footbed design will effect that as much as lacing and inserts. Hiking in the ADK's, I mostly agree with your comments, though. With trail runners, you do not need a lot of lacing. In the High Peaks area's, you do, though. Up hills are OK. The long/steep downhill hikes are enough to mash my toes off, though. Stopping and tightening laces helps to prevent this, distributing pressure against the top of my feet. With two or three peaks per day, too much fiddling with laces to fool around more than once, tightening on the first 30 degree downhill (many are much more than that, at least for a about quarter mi.)

Inserts mainly serve two purposes. 1) Correct any walking problems (orthotic use.) 2) Comfort.
    Supernating or pronating (most common) is a common problem for older hikers. Inserts can help correct these types of walking problems. Comfort is often focused around relieving impact pressures around feet, ankles, knees and through out your skeletal system. Arch problems are a common problem, too.

In contrast to using inserts and thin socks, I use a pair of extra thick wool hikers, sometimes two, and no insert. This seems to do the same job of cushioning impacts as inserts and allows me to completly fill the rear part of my shoe. (I have wider front feet than normal, narrow heels…)

Anyway, a little thought and analysis of your own feet will let you identify any problems, or potential problems, and apply suitable corrections before you head out. As I said, often, what works for one will not work for another…feet are all different. In fact you might find left foot/right foot anomalies that require a different aproach to each foot, not all that unusual.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I'm going to respectfully disagree about the loose laces technique. I mean, if it works for Mike, or anyone else, that is fantastic and ya'll should keep doing it.

I know as a hiker and a trail runner, I like my shoes to fit very snug all over my foot, except for around my toes, so that my shoes feel more like a natural extension of my foot. I feel much more confident with my foot placement in technical terrain, and I feel like I can take much quicker steps with out a sloppy fitting shoe. Also, if fitted correctly, having a snug shoe that minimizes friction can reduce blisters. To me, a loose fitting shoe encourages friction, and friction equals blisters. A snug fitting shoe tha doesn't fit "right" can be absolutely hellish too, but if you take your time and find the right pair it is great, at least from my experience.

Check out the Montrail Masochist, they have a nice lacing system that allows you to get a really customized fit.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I love the MOUNTAIN MASOCHIST! I wanna buy a second pair just because it's so perfect for my feet.

About the loose lacing. Don't ask me why, but loose shoes and super thin socks are magic for me. Just perfect.

I do lace 'em tighter when I scramble on rocks – and when I do long stretches down hill.

I don't trail run, but I walk sorta fast. I wrote about this because I have taught it to students (at NOLS and at BPL) as an option. And a lot of folks find it beneficial. They thank me because they would never have thought of it, they would have simply laced their shoes tight. I like this tip because it goes against the conventional wisdom.

And – this is a simple thing to test. If it doesn't work, then you just bend over and lace your shoes tight again.

I think my wording in the tip says to try this, because it "might" work well for your individual feet.

Peace from Idaho,
    Mike C!

loose vs lose always confuses me, spell check doesn't help
    (sorry if I mixed 'em up)

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

I'm a fan of loose shoes too, and I run trails. I started trying them loose only a few months ago, but it's honestly been great. Super comfortable, feels like my feet are better ventilated and dry faster. Just make sure the fit's right.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The only time I have ever gotten blisters on my feet on the trail( and they were bloody and bad) was when I left my laces loose on an Emigrant wilderness trip. Same trail runners, same socks I usually use. The only difference were the loose laces. Must be one of those individual thing.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Me, too–heel blisters! I have unusually narrow heels. Also, I'm more apt to turn an ankle in shoes not firmly laced.

Everyone's feet are different, and any suggestion is worth a try!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'd worry more about loss of control off trail or on rough trails with my feet sliding around in the shoe. Or possibly trashing an ankle. As things stand, I lace my Roclite 370's farly tight around the ankle area for control/support and a bit looser below a surgeon's knot at the top of the instep, but still not what I'd call loose. Just enough to allow for foot swelling. Control is my number one priority.
    YMMV, as always.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I, too, prefer loose trail runners. I began this a while back when the top of feet would feel sore (not injured) after long hikes. There is some slippage but I'm aware of this and therefore step lively yet surely.

I don't really like the foot beds although I agree they make sense and are worth a try.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hey Mike,

Nice tip about using your shoes as elbow rests. I am going to try that next summer with my inertia x-frame. It is really comfy but very thin and I have been wondering how to fatten it out.

Keep the good work up!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Mike – the illustrations are obviously good looking, logically organized but relaxed and just… lightweight. I think that's the word I've been looking for. No extra details or text. Very fitting to the subject matter.

The real surprise: shoes under the elbows. Never would have thought of that. I'll have to give it a try. :)

Thanks for these.

Bradford Childs

@ford22

I'm a side sleeper and my hip bone was digging through my Ridgerest foam pad on the CT so I cut a piece of foam (~8"x12") for my hip. Helped tremendously, but I'll have to try the lighter donut shape! I'm not sure I could stay put on such a small piece but who knows.

+1 on loose shoes. Mine are maybe a little too loose (sound like flip-flops at times) but haven't had a blister in years and it's so nice to not untie your shoes every time there's a little rock in there. Just pop em off and keep walking.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

You know, I will try the hip pad and just stuff one at my hip in the inside of my pants… <—I had to write that a few times… it kept coming out wrong! Then I will switch it when I need to. Shouldn't be to hard. Then again at .2oz, maybe I should have two… Nah, what am I thinking!

Mike – You are fantastic. I would love to have these drawings printed up in poster size for teaching. Talk about getting the point across perfectly! Thank you!!!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

So Mike, how about a similar set of tips and drawings for UL side sleepers?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I can see a problem with some of the recommendations. They will work quite well under benign conditions for some people, but there are many cases where they won't.

Shoes under elbows: and if the shoes are soaking wet and muddy? Happens to us, and happens in some parts of America too.

Side sleepers: some people can't sleep on their backs. They may have snoring problems, they may have spinal problems, they may have breathing problems, …

Moral: what works for one person may not work for others. First requirement is to think!

Cheers

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Roger,

I was thinking exactly that yesterday, most of the time my shoes are wet/muddy and I am also a side/front sleeper. I am going to try putting them in glad bags (if they are not too wet) to keep the muck off of the mat/ sleeping bag. As for front sleeping, I still really need an inflatable.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I suspect that when Mike hits his late 60's/early 70's, he will also be in agony if he tries to sleep on no more than a CCF pad and rubber donut. With nice, thick, cushiony insulated air pads getting lighter and lighter, there isn't a lot of weight difference between what he takes and what I take. Not enough to be worth a sleepless night, anyway!

I'm gonna try his pillow idea, though!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting idea with the ziplock baggies. It seems like you could just nix the pillow case though and use the stuff sack for your shelter instead since that's always just laying around when the shelter is pitched. 7 zip lock baggies can't weigh much.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Reply To Mary D:

I do take an inflatable pad! It's a BPL torso length pad, with 5mm evazote glued to it so I get 100% padding below me. I will occasionally use just a thin closed-cell foam pad, but I much refer the inflatable version.

See this article:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_multi_pad_ground_sheet.html

*NOTE:
    I cut off the TYVEC ground cloth thing, I found it unnecessary after a few nights on it.

– and –

Reply to DAN:

I don't carry a stuff sack for my shelter, and I'm presently using the mesh grapefruit bag as my pillow stuff sack.

And – I gotta say, I am suer proud of the ziploc pillow concept. It is close to perfection!

Lee Fields

@revlee

I wear a Buff during the day and slide it over my clothes bag at night for a pillow case. As a side sleeper, I could never go for a plastic pillow cover.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Wearing the buff as a balaclava, it wouldn't matter if you side slept on plastic. You always would have buff against your skin.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

My reply to John & Lee:

These tips all come from a book, and the book is devoted to Ultralight skills. I advocate wearing all your layers to sleep as insulation. That said, there isn't any extra gear (like a clothes bag) left when it's time to sleep. So, the pillow becomes an issue.

I position my plastic mesh bag UNDER my – and I'm wearing a hood and hat, so my head would never touch the pillow directly.

If I carried a BUFF, I would wear it to bed and take advantage of that insulation.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Mike,
    After reading your book, I had to try the pillow idea. I am usually against taking so many unused plastic bags on a hiking trip. But, I figured I would give it a try. It was GREAT!
    Thanks, Mike!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Reply to James:

Yeah – this pillow tip is really is great!

As silly as this might sound, I was SO proud of myself when I finally figured this one out.

I've used the same 7 bags since last summer. So, they get used over and over, and it works perfectly.

As I was playing R&D technician, I tried about 9 bags and a bigger stuff sack, that was GLORIOUS! But, I didn't need the larger size, so I took it down to 7 with a smaller stuff sack. Any fewer than 7 and I found it was too small (for me).

I haven't come up with anything lighter or more comfortable – or cheaper!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 431 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools