Topic

Lost Coast in and out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Lost Coast in and out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No 50 miler. We'll decide how far south to go when we see what everyone wants. Maybe to Big Flat. about 1/2 way. North side best side.

kris hammonds

@kristohikes

Locale: nor*cal

i have a small group of guys heading out on that wedensday. we have to start earlier in the week, but have the same idea…hoping to make it to big flat and back, not gonna push it though.

we still have room in the truck leaving wed the 23rd EARLY from the sacramento area.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Shameless self promoting bump.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

so who is thinking they want to carpool from the bay area? post and pm me. (katharina,i pm'ed you)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Morgan, still interested in carpooling?

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Unfortunately I can't make that weekend work. I thought I could, but alas.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

ken, so if this rainy weather keeps up, are we going to have problems crossing creeks?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Should not be much of an issue as they all widen up near shore.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I just found out that I have this Friday off. Anyone want to head up early?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Gonna rain all this weekend. I have honey-do work this weekend.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Sorry, I meant "this Friday", as in the Friday of the planned trip, not tomorrow.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

OK.

I'll be heading out to the trailhead 'bout noon. Should be there by 1:45.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Who all are in for next weekend!?!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I'd love to go, if I am not the only one driving up there. I left a message for Josh.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

What other weekend works for you folks?

I know that Dave L. wants to go in June.

I would like to miss Humboldt State's spring break out there. Too crowded…

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I'm busy next weekend. Would love to go though.Maybe weekend after that if you change dates.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well it looks like next weekend will have sucking weather as well. I am open to rescheduling this hike. What works for you all? It's a long way to come for bad weather.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Rescheduling works for me. Weekend after next I have some paid hikes again, but not the following weekend. If it works for you guys, go for it.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I have the weekend of June 11 set aside for a trip, including Friday. The Lost Coast would be good, but somewhere in the Trinity Alps might be better, if it's not still covered in snow or the creeks aren't too high.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Anybody up for doing this on the 9th of April?

High tide will be at 2:39 am and the next high tide at 5:22 pm.

The first low tide will be at 10:15 am and the next low tide at 9:25 pm.

Moon: Waxing Crescent
    Moon age: 5 days
    Moon light: 26%

As others have planned, the top half and probably a half yoyo to keep from having transportation issues.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

John, I might be able to make this work.

Any other Bay Area folk up for the drive? I can leave as early as noon on Friday from the south bay.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

The 9th would be good as it is before Spring Break. Was kinda busy there last year with all the HSU crowd out there.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I could do this. Friday at noon would be a good time for me, as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You going to camp where on Friday? They charge now at the Mattole camp. Cheaper and nicer at A W Way. Or do you want to hike in some? The 9th works for me.

John. You in? Carpool?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Ken,

Thanks for asking about this… not 10 minutes ago I was sitting here going "Hmm, I should drop ken a message and see if I can park my truck at his place and go down with him".

This will be my first time doing the LCT so I would need you to lead the way for sure!

For anybody else out there, I have a bit of gear I could provide if you need it…

I have all three sizes of the Bearikade bear canisters. I will be using the scout (the smallest) so that will leave the Weekender and Expedition up for grabs. Would be cool if you could slipped me $5 bucks or something.

I will also have a "TarpTent Rainbow" that was just delivered last week. I have spent about 3 nights in it and so far am loving it. It should hold up well on the LCT as long as it does not get hellishly windy.

I will be using my personal "Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo II", but I also own the "Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo I" which somebody could use if you are up for a tight fitting (if you are 6+) 1.48 pound bombproof tent. I would really love to have a lady out there try out the Echo 1 and give me a brief review of what you think about it so I can include that in my full review when I write it up. All the reviews out there so far have been from guys… would love to get some thoughts from a lady to include in a review I am writing for these two tents.

I also own a ZPacks HexaNet Solo insert & tarp – a wickedly light 14.1 oz tent (I might decide to use this and thus have two HMG tents up for use)

I might be able to provide a spare "Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider" backpack (1.6lbs – 25.5oz) if somebody out there badly needs a pack. I will probably be using my ZPacks blast 26 so the Windrider should be available.

Sorry but I do not have any spare sleeping bags nor quilts. I just sold my last one that I had sitting around.

I do have a spare Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite Sleeping Pad (small) that I could let somebody use.

And, lastly, I will have 3 or 4 cans of Optimus gas (the Swedish fuel) if anybody needs some. I bought 5 of them and pretty much think they suck compared to the Jetboil and MSR ones – sigh/shrugs.

Anyway that is about all I can think of to help some of you folks out that might need some gear. You would obviously need to stay with the group and return the gear when we get done.

John
    Eureka CA.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools