Topic

3D-printer stands for air horn canister stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3D-printer stands for air horn canister stove

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I got one of the small canisters repurposed from an air horn to be used with a stove. This topic is discussed in another thread here.

I had no issue with the valve, and the only thing to solve was the stability of the setup. I designed and printed two stands. The smaller one weights about 3 grams / 0.1 oz, and works well enough on a solid surface. It’s “wingspan” is a little more than the pot supports on the BRS stove, so the base is as stable as the pot on the stove.

The one with a full round base is more stable and works better on uneven ground. At only 6 g / 0.2 oz, I think it’s the better way to go. The diameter matches the common 100g canister, so it fits into any pot designed to accommodate it. And making other sizes is easy.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Those look great. The round one looks perfect and I like that it fits into the pot easily. This strikes me as an excellent use of 3D printing.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

+1

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

If anyone wanted to print his own, here’s the openscad source code for the stand with the round base: https://pastebin.com/zX6pRW8Y

The dimensions can easily be customized by changing few key variables.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Jan – Thank you for posting your creations.  My “Rezac Saw” got a lot of use this past weekend and the rest of the group was really impressed by both the functionality and how light it was.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Very nice! Thank you for developing and sharing.

Tyler R
    BPL Member

@trex

+1 on this design!

I ended up cloning it in fusion 360 and modifying it to work with the wider falcon canisters as well as fit inside a pot I’ve been working on. Took it on a trip to the Cottonwood basin this past 3 day weekend and it’s perfect!

Jan, do you mind if I share an STL file of it?

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Tyler, of course you can share your remake.

I’ve shared my design, and it comes as a parametric openscad code which can be easily adjusted for any canister and pot sizes.

Fifty Weekends
    BPL Member

@fiftyweekends

Jan this is so cool, I just printed one of these. Adjusted the canister size very slightly (was easy with openscad). I have an Evernew Companion Cup that I really like (I drink my coffee out of it most mornings), but it always bugged me that I couldn’t fit a 100g canister in it.

With this setup I have a stable cookset that all fits down into the tiny companion cup: Air horn + stand, BRS stove, bic-mini, lightload towel and a folding spork.

packed

unpacked

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

Either design could potentially be stabilized further with spare tent stakes or the like. I am sold on these little cannisters as easily being enough for 1-person over 2-3 days.  I just got five 2-cup boils out of mine with the 6th dying halfway through.  No 3-D here. I will have to channel my inner Jon Fong and try to make one with sheet metal.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Send me an empty can and I’ll design one.</p>

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

I was quick to make one Jon but surely lacking elegance.  BTW, I ran my boils with the Sterno Inferno and the Cheetah Fire Maple windscreen adapter plate.  I have some super crude simple ideas how to further stabilize in the field.

Mini Canister Base

Josiah M
    BPL Member

@josiahmac

Can anyone print these me one of these and I’ll pay?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I just bring a cordless drill and a 1-3/8″ wood bit to drill a hole into a log and then my smallest-possible butane stove is completely bomber!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I seems like with some scrape cordage, you could stake teh canister down in three places for a stable cooking system.  Probably lighter and cheaper, just more fiddle factor.  My 2 cents.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Not sure about the cordage itself. I have not tried the idea, but I would worry about it melting after a while from radiated heat.
    Now, if you used thin multi-strand SS wire, possibly from a fishing shop – aha!

Cheers

Tyler R
    BPL Member

@trex

Just got a message reminding me that I never shared the file of Jan’s support stand that I ported over to fusion 360.

So for those who haven’t learned openscad (you should!) heres the fusion360 version. There’s also a 3mf file for printing straight away if you have a need to modify it.

Opening sketch 1, adjusting the inner canister diameter dimension or the outer support diameter dimension will parametrically drive all other dimensions in the model. When you click “finish sketch” The new cannister stand with your custom dimensions should automatically update.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I saw one of these on AliEpxress.  Heavy at 55 g but it’s $2 plus shipping.  It is a univesal stand so it also supports regular canisters.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Those things are fine for normal-size canisters, but not for the tiny (1.5oz/43g) air horn canisters that Jan is targeting. And those tiny canisters are truly a better size for solo weekend trips. As David Thomas points out, the canisters are 1 3/8 inches in diameter.

Jan’s larger stand looks just about perfect.

There must be 3d printing services…

Brian G
    BPL Member

@tychonius

Try a library.  Several around where I live offer a “send in the file, we’ll print it, you just pay for filament” service.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools