Topic

Air horn canister stand, version 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Air horn canister stand, version 2

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Some time ago I made a 3D-printed stand for the small air horn canister. It looks like this:

There are, however, situations where you may want your air horn to be more stable. Recently, I wanted to blow the horn right next to my sleeping pad, so that I can enjoy a warm breakfast without leaving the sleeping bag. The round stand was not stable enough on the soft forest floor and I had to get up and set it up elsewhere.

A week later, I fired the printer (and sawed some CF rods) again and here’s the outcome – a super-stable stand that still fits into a small pot and won’t break the scales.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

You certainly wouldn’t want to accidentally lose an ear drum. Nice design.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I don’t have one of them there printers, so I’ve been using the canister stand that comes with Jet Boil stoves.  Coincidentally enough, the center of the stand is just the right dimension to fit an air canister into and is very stable.  At 29 gm it’s considerably heavier than yours, though light enough since I don’t have a printer.  So, how much do you want for one of those bad boys?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Jan, version 2 looks great. Would you mind sharing a link to the file? And details/source for the carbon fiber legs? Also, the feet look nice, but are they really doing much?

FYI, my son printer your version 1 stand for me and I used it on a trip to Yosemite a few weeks ago. It worked great.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I uploaded the files to printables. Info on the materials is there too. The CF rods are a staple in model building supplies. Buy more and make some stakes, they’re great.

The feet have two important functions, none of which supporting the weight:
    1) They serve as a handle for removing the legs, allowing not only pulling but also twisting.
    2) They make it easier to see the parts on the ground.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Thanks Jan

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I found some 3mm rod in my stash, so I made even lighter version of the stand. It’s now 9 grams / 0.32 oz.

The legs are now more flexible, but still plenty strong for supporting the small pot. Now the weight penalty in comparison to the simpler round stand becomes truly negligible.

Here’s a picture of the new version (assembled) next to the parts of the previous one. I also used transparent material this time.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I’m not quite sure I understand the purpose of needing the air horn in the stand?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

To understand the back story, try starting here.  My 2 cents.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/smallest-possible-butane-stove-set-up/

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I skimmed the “backstory.” So it’s being used as a stove instead of an air horn?

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Maybe it’s time to admit that blowing an air horn will rarely get you a warm breakfast, especially in the woods…

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

=))  that gave me a good laugh! Thanks Jan. Admittedly, I haven’t had the chance to read the back story yet, but will. This is unique now that I know the purpose. =)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

they remove the “air” from the air horn canister, then fill it with butane

the point is, that an air horn canister holds 1 ounce of butane, has a lindal valve on the top.  If all you need for a trip is 1 ounce then you’re good

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Yes, it’s very clever. I just didn’t understand from the first photos illustrating the stand with the horn attached to the canister. With the description of wanting to blow the air horn right next to their sleeping pad to enjoy a breakfast. It was all very covert ;]

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

The Air Horns are on Amazon for $7.29  right now with free shipping.  I might have to get one.  I could not get the link to post correctly so go to Amazon and search “Shoreline Marine Eco Air Horn”.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

If I did my calculations correctly you can add as many air horn canisters as you want for longer trips. The combined weight of multiple air horn canisters is always less than single or multiple conventional canisters. A bit expensive, and time consuming to fill though.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Not all that expensive!  I buy Kovea gas canisters designed for backyard cooking/chaffing stoves (8 oz) @ 2.99 ea.  The Materials Safety Data Sheet lists the mix as 75% isobutane and 25% propane, the same as backpacking canisters.  That works out to $.37/ 8 refills.  Cheap!  Other brands are just butane, which works just fine in warm weather.  Unfortunately, REI is currently out of stock, but they assured me it will be back.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yeah piney, 4 air horn canisters carry 4.5 ounces of butane and weigh 2.66 ounces, a little less than a 4 ounce canister that weighs 3 ounces.

Maybe better to consider them about the same weight except with the air horn canisters you can just take as many as you want.

I think with the weight of the stand, then the 4 ounce canister weighs slightly less

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

The air horn canisters are not that expensive.  The cost of the butane is the same

The cheapest butane is $2 for 8 ounces at the neighborhood korean grocer.  You need a different adaptor to transfer to a backpacking canister

Any of the cheap butanes that I’ve examined are 50% isobutane, 50% n butane.  That is, when the temperature is about 21F, there is zero pressure, which means you can use it down to about 28F.

I don’t believe that MSDS, but it would be easy to check – take it to a place that’s 23F or so and open it up to see it has some pressure, repeat for 21F and see there’s no pressure

Brian G
    BPL Member

@tychonius

Monty Montana
    Not all that expensive!  I buy Kovea gas canisters designed for backyard cooking/chaffing stoves (8 oz) @ 2.99 ea.  The Materials Safety Data Sheet lists the mix as 75% isobutane and 25% propane

These guys?

They are ISOButane and not N-Butane?  Good to know!

Brian G
    BPL Member

@tychonius

Jerry Adams:
    Any of the cheap butanes that I’ve examined are 50% isobutane, 50% n butane.

Jerry:  I’ve gone through a lot of, for example, GasOne brand 8 oz.  “Butane Fuel” cans  (and one other similar looking brand) — either moving that fuel directly into 100/110 gm hiking canisters, or using the GasOne cans inside one of those bigger table-top stoves.  That particular brand performs like pure N-Butane to me.   It is quite useless at around 40 F, suggesting that the “adiabatic cooling” of the canister when used for a while drops things to around the boiling point of N-Butane (about 30 F).

What brands can you suggest that would have 50% IsoButane?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’ve looked at different brands of those cartridges and their boiling temp is a little over 20 F

I don’t believe that MSDS.  They’re actually about 50% isobutane, 50% nbutane.  The application of cooking and chaffing isn’t normally done at super cold temps, but with people standing around.

The boiling temp of 75% iso, 25% n, would be about 16F

Easy to determine, if you can go to a place where the temperature is 20F or so.  If there’s a little pressure then it really is about 75% iso

MSR Isopro canisters are almost 100% isobutane.  They slow way down when you get close to 11F.  I’ve used them below 20F with no problem.  And they’re more expensive.  There are other good brands

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!