Topic

Golite.com–40% off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Golite.com–40% off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Search term "trailstar nest" brings up only 8 posts.

Logan Spader

@___o2

Locale: .

QUOTE: Posted by Cesar Garcia
    "Shangrila 2… What are your alls thoughts on it compared to the twin sisters?"

I sold my MSR Twin Sisters and replaced it with the Golite Shangri-la 2. After setting up the SL2 with the nest I decided that I would also sell all of my summer tents because I will no longer use them, that is how obsessed I am with this tent. BUT, the three season capabilities of the SL2 with the nest is a whole other story and the following information is only comparing the SL2 tarp with the Twin Sisters tarp.

Weight and Material – When I picked up the SL2 package I laughed out loud because I didn't expect it to feel that light. The material is way thinner than the Twin Sisters tarp. You can easily feel the difference in thickness.

Weather Protection – There of course isn't much of a difference in terms of protection. My only concern is that the SL2 could not take on the same wind speeds of the Twin Sisters due to flimsier material.

Living Space – The Twin Sisters felt taller inside but this may be due to the snow skirt. However the fact that the SL2 has guy points on the walls means a bigger and more comfortable interior because they can be pulled outward.

Entrance – The Twin Sisters entrance sucked because I would have to dig into the snow to grab the bottom zipper or use the top zipper and try squeezing the the small vertical opening. The SL2 door is much more user friendly because the top zipper actually opens up a hole to climb through.

Features – The Shangri-la is IMMACULATE! There are so many small features that the Twin Sisters didn't have. The main feature that sticks out is the amount of guy points and the location of these guy points. I also love the dual vents as compared to the Twin Sister's single vent.

The only reason why I would by the MSR Twin Sisters over the SL2 is if I needed a tent solely for deep snow in high wind areas. Otherwise the Golite Shangri-la 2 is a much better choice. I love the SL2 and will be doing a real review as soon as I get the time!

This is my first post on BPL. Prior to signing up to these forums I always got my information from here and after finding this killer coupon I had to join to say that I FRICKING LOVE YOU GUYS! Thank you for sharing the coupon!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Score, BSF10 worked for me !

Got a RS 1+ Season Quilt – Long for $84 shipped.

Darren Weda

@backcountryfishing

Locale: Out east

So I just tried ordering some stuff from Golite, and because I live in Australia they said they do not take any international credit cards and do not post overseas.

I have dealt with heaps of smaller companies in the US who are happy to have business form us over here.

Very poor on Golite's behalf if you ask me. So I cant even use the 40% off unless I find a willing participant who I can send some money too and they can buy it for me and post it to someone I know in California, who will then post it me.

Anyone willing?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Darren,

Couple of questions –

The Golite site says "For all other consumer and retail enquiries, please email us at [email protected]." Have you given that a try?

How heavy is the order? I shipped 5 pounds a to OZ a while back it was about $40 with tracking and insurance. Would that work for you?

Do you have a Paypal account for money transfers?

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Darren,

If for whatever reason Greg is unable to ship it, I could probably buy and ship it to your friend in California. I'm located in the Orange County, CA area.

Darren Weda

@backcountryfishing

Locale: Out east

Gday Greg,

yeah I spoke to Golite on there customer chat line and they informed me there was no way they could take a international credit card, but they were working on it for the future.

I have a friend heading over to california for a couple of days and he will actually bring the gear back with him, I just need to purchase it and get it sent to a californian address where he will be staying.

Yes I do have a paypal account and can transfer money ASAP, let me know if this is ok and I will PM you the rest of the details etc.

cheers

Darren

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Locale: SoCal

I used the code: BSF10 on 2/12/11 and it was still good for 40% off.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

Just placed and order today and code worked fine. I did notice, after I put my cc info, that the site was not a secure site. Now because Im paranoid Ill have to call and cancel my cc. :(

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Not sure where you were buying stuff, but Golite.com's cart app is https, that is SSL and verified with Verisign.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

I ordered from golite.com Just checked again and now it has the green https…. when I ordered earlier I looked up and it was red with a line though it. Maybe they fixed it. Shrug.. already called in to cancel my cc. I hardly use it luckily, if it was my debit card I used, now thats a different story.

Jeremy W

@sockpuppet

Locale: High Desert

Does anyone have a contact phone number for GoLite? I tried the one I found online, but it's been busy for 2 days. I sent an email, but haven't seen a response yet?

Jeremy W

@sockpuppet

OK, I found a direct phone number if anyone needs it: 303-546-6000

The foks who answered the phone were very helpful. Unfortunately, they said they wouldn't have any Shangri-La 5 nests in until mid-summer. I would have liked to get the 40% savings on the whole set-up, but it wasn't meant to be. I used the 40% code for the Shangri-La 5 shelter ($210 instead of $350, with $5.99 shipping) and scored the nest off Backcountry.com on sale for $140 with free shipping. That put my total tent investment to $356. That's a decent savings over retail. Thanks for the tip!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Jeremy,

Not sure if the code works on multiple items in your cart (I only ordered one item with the code), but wouldn't the code have worked if you would have simply placed 2 separate orders?

EDIT: n/m, i just noticed the part that said they were out of stock…

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

As an aside, I can say that the code does work for multiple items… I bought the SL-5 and SL-5 floor with it, got 40% off on both.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

I just got my Shangri-la 2 I purchased with the code and noticed it doesnt have the side pull out tabs? Was the code only for 2009 models???

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

Locale: PNW

I used it just a couple weeks ago and recieved the newest model, so I assume it is for whatever they have on stock.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

It should have had the side tie-out loops. I think you should call GoLite.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

I sent them an email but will have to call I guess. Stinks if they ran out of the latest model.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

@Cesar: I bought my SL-2 in December with the 40% discount. I'm pretty sure mine is a 2010 version and has the side pull outs. I'd definitely call.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

I checked again just to make sure and noticed that on the stuff sack instructions for pitching it has a picture of a sl2 with the side pull out points. Shrug… oh well I sent them an email about it but couldnt get them on the phone. Ill try again tomorrow.

Jeremy W

@sockpuppet

Cesar, try the number I listed above. They are in Boulder, so MST. I received an answer each time I called during business hours. I think I talked to Barbara, but could be wrong.

On a side note, I received my SL-5 from GoLite, and my nest from Backcountry today! I did a test set-up in the back yard and was fairly pleased with the results. I can definitely see that I'll get better with a little practice.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

They said they must have just sent me the wrong one and assured me they still have the newer ones in stock. So just need to return the one I got. COOL!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Just got the Ultralite 1+ Season 40* quilt for $120–nice.

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools