Topic

Golite.com–40% off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Golite.com–40% off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

I appreciate the input guys! Did the lighter weight fabric come across as flimsy or less waterproof?

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Just thought I'd F/U to say that it worked- raised the funds and got a SL-5 and floor for $270 shipped. Debating on the nest- wouldn't be using it for backpacking, but would for car camping. Free shipping now too! No code needed, and it works along with the 40% off code.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Hi Royal, sorry for missing your post earlier. The fabric definitely feels lighter that that of the earlier version but didn't give the impression of flimsiness. Since it's the same fabric that's being used on the 2010 Shangri-La line, I'm pretty sure that it will be waterproof enough.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Should be fine- it's still heavier and more waterproof than most of the 1.1 oz silnylon that's most commonly used for UL tents and tarps.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@lexeverything

Locale: Joshua Tree

I couldn't say no to a 48 dollar poncho tarp. I rarely see rain… so I figured instead of taking both my TNF 5 1/2 ounce jacket and a 3 ounce ZPacks cuben tarp I was considering… Boom. Cheap, light poncho tarp. Thanks for the heads up!

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Thanks for the input guys! I think I've been tempted into getting one.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

This sale is great I picked up a RS3 quilt for $90.00. I kept doing the math on how much to making a new quilt this year.

It was cheaper to go this route even though my quilt would weigh about 7 to 8 oz. less,Plus add in my time for the labor and materials to make a new quilt you can't beat the golite deal.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

Couldn't say no to the poncho tarp

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@lexeverything

I am jealous of all you new poncho tarp owners!

My Golite sale poncho tarp never arrived. It shipped from Golite in Colorado to California (where I am), and then it was sent to Parsippany, NJ. I know Golite is not at fault, nor can they control what UPS does with a package once it changes hands… but… I gave a call to Golite this morning, and the conversation went very much like this:

Me – Hi, I placed an order on the 10th and it has not arrived. Seems that UPS sent it to Parsippany, NJ.

Girl at Golite – (chuckles) Ah… bummer… thats weird. Did you call UPS to figure it out?

Me – Oh, so I have to call UPS and not Golite?

Girl at Golite – Yeah. They Should be able to tell you what is going on with it.

Me – Okay… uh… so, if the package is lost, or cannot be recovered… then what?

Girl at Golite – Uh, I don't know… I guess call us back and let us know what happened.

Now, I have purchased things on ebay, where a package was lost, etc… and the seller (usually some small time – doing it for fun, extra money, whatever) gets right on top of it and goes out of their way to help and fix things. I got a "bummer" from some cute sounding girl in Colorado at a major operation – Golite. Guess they've gone light on customer service.

Bummer.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Sounds like you're jumping to conclusions a bit. I'd wager that Golite will make it right, but you need to do your part. I mean, is Golite supposed to overnight you another one because you can't be bothered to call UPS and find out what happened to the first?

1. Check your receipt/confirmation email- did you ship it to the right address? Is the ZIP code right? If the address is wrong, you screwed up.

2. Check the UPS Ship notification- I got one for my recent Golite order. Does the "Ship To" address under "Shipment Details" match the address in #1? If the address is wrong here, but right in #1, Golite screwed up.

3. Check the tracking page- has it been delivered or is it still traveling the country? UPS sucks like that- I've seen packages criss-cross the country and still end up at my house.

4. If it hasn't been delivered, keep your pants on and see if it shows. Does it show the right destination city, state?

5. Call UPS. If your address is correct at #1 and #2, the blame lay with UPS. Golite might send you a new one gratis, or you may have to file a claim. If you file a claim UPS will probably blacklist your address permanently, requiring you to sign for each and every UPS package shipped to your house. Serious PIA.

Seems common sense to me. Golite can't be held responsible for UPS's total incompetence, and I don't see what would be different with a call/email to any other vendor or eBay user if you didn't come armed with the information above… *shrug*

Good luck finding your poncho!

David Ure

@familyguy

FWIW, I have never been too enamoured with Golite's CS so I am not truly surprised.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@lexeverything

Aaron, I agree with you. Blame ultimately lies with UPS (as stated in my previous post…) and I did go in armed with all information (though I was not hasty, nor did I assault the poor girl with my conclusions… hell, my pants were even on ;P and I was nothing less than pleasant). Of course I checked to make sure shipping addresses matched at all points… I'm not a boobie. Criticism was aimed not at Golite as a company, rather… the lack of tact and absence of information furnished to me by said customer service representative. I don't ship items for a living. Golite has more experience than I in that department. Good luck finding your poncho, is pretty much what she said! ;) Thought that was just a bit sloppy on their part. I say 'their' because I believe she works for Golite.
    I might expect a "bummer" from the beach boy selling me a bar of sex wax at the local surf shop…

But.. I did not post to doo-doo Golite… was just saying I was jealous of those who got their bummer free poncho tarps! ;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Regardless, Golite sent the package. They need to find it for you. Its just good business practice.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I would wait some time. I work at UPS for one of my jobs at the airport and i can tell you there could be dozens of things that happened to your package which could make it late or lost in the shuffle, but it will get there eventually.

david hensley

@aliasdave

Just purchased an Ultralight 20 quilt long for 177.00!! Thank you BPL! Merry X-mas!

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Does anybody know how long this coupon code is good for?

BTW Happy Chrisquanzramukkah!

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Hi Kendall,

21 March 2011

Regards,
    John

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Thanks John… WOW! That's great!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

And you thought Santa only came on Christmas Eve.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

LOL I did Joe. Glad I was wrong.

Darren Weda

@backcountryfishing

Locale: Out east

Any reason why they don't post internationally?

We always miss out on good stuff form the states due to this, and postage down here to OZ is not even that expensive.

Really wanted to get a new pack from these guys too!

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Shoot 'em an email or a phone call. They're really nice.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I had wanted to try out a Shangri-La 2 based on Dondo's trip reports on his web page and then he posted the 40% off deal. So thanks to Dondo for the information and the great deal!

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Interesting Randy. I was looking at the Shangri-La last night and trying to decide between the 1 and the 2. They're only about $15 apart in price and the weight penalty between them is not all that bad. I wanted the Shangri-La for winter and snow camping. I was thinking I'd get the 2 for those times when I had company.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'd recommend going with the SL-2, Kendall. There will be room for your puppies, for one thing. Also, the SL-2 has 2 guy attachment loops on each side, which allows you to dramatically increase the interior space. The SL-1 doesn't have these side loops.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools