Topic

Best Free Stuff?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Best Free Stuff?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

THE post of this thread goes to Sarah!!! Perfectly said!

"McDonald's bad, but Froot Loops are OK?

Lord….

And for the record: McDonald's doesn't leave condiments out on the counter Laurie. It is BEHIND the counter and you must ask. If one is asking, it ain't stealing no matter how much you wish it was"

I cannot agree more!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

bahhh …. compasses are for old geezers

moral GPS babiiii !!!

d–n … seems like i need batteries for it … lol

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

welp.. since I am, in part, to blame

Here is another free sample site:

http://www.sweetfreestuff.com/

The Aleve about a 1/4 way down caught my eye. Unfortunately ya gotta be a Sam's Club member to complete the sample form. Three easy questions and selling your soul in the name of data mining and you're golden!

edit: your, you're. annoying me, sorry

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I guess a moral GPS would have a movable cursor, eh? Or waypoint markers when you sin? You wouldn't be able to see the map on mine ;)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

So what is "stealing?"

steal: verb. 1 [with object] take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it

By definition, since many of the condiments are free to take or are freely offered by some businesses, it is NOT stealing at those restaurants. Since the stuff is there to take, we have "permission."

Some businesses do not offer such things and therefore you have to pay for extra condiments. Taking those WOULD be stealing.

But what about morals/ethics?

Ethics: noun: a set of moral principles, especially ones relating to or affirming a specified group, field , or form of conduct

Morals: noun a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do

So, is it not true that morals and ethics are ONLY set by and for oneself? Do they rightfully extend to others? Of course there are generally accepted morals (don't kill, don't cheat on your wife, etc…) but many moral issues are not defined by law as "legal" or "not legal." It's not against the law to commit adultery in some states. It's left up to the individual to decide whether THEY think it's right or wrong and deal with any consequences that may arise out of certain conduct. Be it cheating on your spouse or taking an extra packet of ketchup. (I know, those two things are very similar.)

Me? If I make a purchase at a restaurant and there are some "free" condiments sitting on a table, I have no qualms about taking a FEW things. However, I'm not going to go to McD's ONLY to take condiments, nor will I take an exorbitant amount of them. Taking a few condiments is not against the federal, state, or certain restaurant's laws. However, taking a few extras MAY be against an individual's morals. These are two very different things.

Boy, kinda ridiculous for some ketchup packets, huh? :D

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Boy, kinda ridiculous for some ketchup packets, huh?

I don't think so. A moral code is comprised of abstract principles. Each individual must choose his/her own set of values, create a hierarchy of all the components sorted by importance, and then apply them consistently to his/her life.

If I invite you to my house, and I have to leave for a day, I may say, "Go ahead and help yourself to anything you want to eat or drink." Most rational people would understand that my intent is for you have enough to eat or drink while you are staying with me. If you decide to load your car with all my food and drinks, you have taken advantage of me. It is not a legal matter, it is a moral matter. You have taken advantage of me. Again, where do we draw the line as individuals? It has nothing to do with the surplus, economics, or the legal system. It is about what values the individual has and do they consistently apply them to their life.

If someone needs condiments beyond what they will use with the food they purchase, I think they should go to a store and buy their own inventory. The businessman provides them with the intent that you will only to use what is needed on the food you purchased. To me this is crystal clear. If the businessman intended you to take more, he would post a sign that says, take all the stuff you want… no limit.

The ability to devise a moral code is probably the greatest intellectual power human beings have.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

one man's morality, is a seconds idiocy and a third's oppression

i firmly believe that everyone should carry a gun and morally use it to defend themseves again violent bears …

lol

there's a reason why there are laws … and why we dont throw people in jail for "immoral" but legal activities

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

So, does the Second Amendment give us the right to bear arms, or to arm bears?

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

o

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!! You peolpe need to go hiking—-very soon….

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

This weekend, Jay. This weekend. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You peolpe need to go hiking—-very soon…."

Nah. This is like the preseason games in the NFL. The real action begins in December-January, when people get serious cabin fever. The official opening of the Flame Games is when Roger C. posts to Chaff with the time honored announcement: "LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!"

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!! You people need to go hiking—-very soon…."

Unless I'm backpacking… I don't hike. Am I the only one? But I am out on the local trails running at least 4 days a week, usually 5. I get a healthy dose of dirt, inclines, sweat, exercise, and nature on a regular basis. Yet it's still not remedy enough to disengage from ketchup induced bantering Jay!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

im too busy committing petty acts of theft from fast food joints that are stupid enough to leave their condiments on display

i mean who in their right might would think that just because u left catsup, napkins, straws and salt in the open like that would think yr allowed to take them

dun call crimestoppers on meee … that new shinny MLD bivy aint worth it … lol

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Eric, could you pick me up a few mustard packets while you're there? I'm running a bit low…

David Ure

@familyguy

I'll stop stealing condiments when they stop making chicken nuggets out of this:

http://current.com/technology/92702135_chicken-nuggets-are-made-from-this-pink-goop.htm

Because apparently they are stealing my health.

Ethics? Morals? Its all gray.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The recent pink goop photo that was released has been a reoccurring theme and image in my dreams.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

David,

They cannot steal your health, if you do not put it in your body… assuming they are bad for you.

I have never eaten a chicken nugget, finger, strip, etc. I have eaten a whole chicken or in parts that I can recognize.

:)

As a matter of fact, today it is really hard to find a restaurant that serves real chicken; that is, chicken in whole parts. But I do find them occasionally (excluding the KFCs, Churches, Popeye, etc.).

David Ure

@familyguy

I have actually never eaten at McRonnie's. Seriously.

But the uninformed masses are marketed 'white chicken' nuggets which implies that it has chicken. And likely that of a breast.

So then the question becomes, are businesses stealing our trust….

…in order to sell chicken nuggets?

Ergo, I like Ketchup.

; )

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

nando's chicken …

or dont eat fast food … which aint so fast … and might not be food ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…on chicken:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1GRbTXMKY

I laugh every time I see a Foster Chicken ad……

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I used to be an upstanding citizen. Then I started innocently taking extra condiment packages. This led to a gradual downward spiral of crime and addiction. On the left is a picture of me 9 months ago. On the right is what I look like today.

Please, don't let what happened to me happen to you!methbeforeafter

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Somewhere there was a left turn off the condiments highway.
    Since folks are taking umbrage at the value of grabbing a couple of ketchup packs I offer you a finely honed skill devolped in Palm Springs California. At the alluvial fan of Tahquitz Canyon there once was a Von's grocery store where many a fine rock hippie dumpster dove for wonderous foodstuffs.
    I offer the compromise of rifling through others discarded fast food bags and reclaiming the unused packets of salsas,jams, and assorted sundries.
    Now we are dealing with someone else's wasteful ways and doing a bit of noble recycling far removing ourselves from petty thievery.
    As an infamous star once quipped "it's only disgusting the first time."

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Trying to eat other peoples trash can actually get you in a lot of trouble these days.

Stealing condiments is safer.

See which one gets the cops called on you faster: sitting down to eat someone's leftovers at a restaurant or stealing some sugar packets from McDonalds.

Many a time I've contemplated it…Instead of ordering, simply pointing at leftovers on the table across from me and asking "Can I just finish that instead?"

By golly, the whole system would just crumble, wouldn't it?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

There are a variety of laws regarding recovering of foodstuffs,I hadn't even thought to just sit down and finish other peoples crapola, dude, you're a genius, what with over 100,000 home foreclosures in September [some even included paper work] this could become an Olympic sport. They probably will only give out brass orbs for medals though…

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools