Topic

UL Hammock Tarps w/ Adequate Coverage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping UL Hammock Tarps w/ Adequate Coverage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

So I've fallen in love with sleeping in a hammock and the tarp I'm using (a sil WB Big Mamajamba) is great, but it's much bigger than what I need for most trips. All tricked out with stakes, lines, and tensioners it's 19.9 oz–a veritable pig of a tarp by UL standards. The weight doesn't bother me as much as the size though. I like to pitch it pretty flat and that means I need a football field of open space to pitch this thing. And the simplicity of 2 tieouts sounds nice.

So I'm looking at more minimalist tarps now. I'd like to hear some suggestions for what is "adequate" coverage in a moderate rain. I'll be using a WB Traveler most of the time, but occasionally a Blackbird (footbox sticking out). I'm just looking for sufficient rain coverage. If things are cold and windy, I'll pack the big tarp. Custom size/shape suggestions or off the shelf products–I'm open to all ideas.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

One suggestion is an OES MacCat Standard in SpinnUL fabric. It's 8.2 oz before adding your tieouts. The feedback I've heard is that it's "big enough" with little excess for any of the Warbonnet hammocks.

Brian MacMillin at OES does first-rate work.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

MacCat Standard does indeed look nice, but I'm leaning towards a square or diamond just for the ease of 2 tieouts. I wonder if any of these hex tarps could be rigged with only 2 tieouts/stakes? The angle of tension would probably be wrong?

Wondering if a spinn or cuben version of the JRB 8×8 would be ideal (7'2" finished size)? Or something similarly sized but more of a diamond shape to cover the left shoulder/right foot?

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

I would second Beep in that you can't go wrong with a tarp from OES. Either the Standard or the Deluxe. In addition to sil and spinn there are rumors that Brian is going to start selling his tarps in cuben this fall.

Some other options:
    MLD UL hammock tarp (spinn)
    MLD hex hammock tarp (spinn or cuben)
    Mountainfitter Paklight 9×9 cuben tarp (hung on diagonal)

I'm sure ther are others that folks will chime in on, but these are what come to mind at the moment. You could also MYOG with cuben, spinn, or sil and make the minimalist tarp you envision.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

OES also makes rectangular and square tarps. Email Brian with your wants. He'll take care of you!

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

I almost pulled the trigger on that MLD UL hammock tarp, but I'm afraid it would not keep me dry. If it's the same size as the Hennessey tarps, lots of folks have done thru hikes with those…but still, it looks maybe a little bit beyond minimalist to me. The packed size and weight can't be beat, though. Esp for the price. Anyone have any comments on that one? With a traveler? With a blackbird?

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

If you are looking for a square tarp instead, you might consider the OES straight cut 10×10 in spinn or cat cut 9×9 spinn. I had inquired about square tarps to Ron Bell of MLD. You can have them made custom. 9×9 is about the biggest. Because cuben comes in widths of ~54", to make a 10×10 tarp gets expensive due to the extra panel needed.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Makes sense with what you say about the widths. I'm sure a 9×9 in cuben would be very nice.

However, if the MLD UL is sufficient, it's at least 1/3 the price of any 9×9 cuben creation out there. And lighter.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I'm trying out my Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker A-SYM soon. I plan to use the tarp that came with it, at least the first time.

If it looks like there will be much rain, then I will substitute a 8×10 Equinox tarp that I've had for a few years and never used. I've only carried it from shelter to shelter on the AT. That tarp is probably really depressed.

I also have both a GoLite and a MLD poncho tarps that seem like they'd work on a future trip.

I'd love try a clear night with no tarp. That seems like it'd be an ultimate swinging dream.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

That weight (and price) on the MLD UL hammock tarp is pretty attractive. I think you'd be alright provided you don't have a strong wind in combination with rain. It is a little less than I'd feel comfortable under, but I don't have a big tolerance for sleeping wet.

I'm curious, though not so much to do the math, how much that tarp would weigh if made of cuben…. :)

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

George–I hope you enjoy the new hammock. Let me know how that works out.

I'm really tempted to try that little MLD tarp out. On weekend trips when weather can be predicted pretty well, it would indeed be nice to go tarpless and just have that little thing in your pack just in case. But if it's almost a guarantee that I'd get soaked anyway using it, I'd rather not try to push the UL envelope so much. Wish someone who's used one of these with a larger, gathered end hammock would chime in. Maybe I need to phone a hammock tarp pro–Ron, Brian, etc.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Are you definitely set on a square/diamond shape? You'd definitely have more coverage with a hex.

Did a quick search over on hammock forums. Only one thread much along the line of this one, but nobody had used one.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

"I'm curious, though not so much to do the math, how much that tarp would weigh if made of cuben…. :)"

Probably not enough to justify the pricetag. It might not weight much more than the stakes and lines though! ;)

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Brian–HF is great, but I was hoping to find a more UL perspective over here. I'm kind of surprised that there's not more info on this MLD UL tarp online either there or here. Summertime and all…

I really am leaning more towards the square/diamond thing. Looking for minimalist comfort if that makes sense. Trying to find out where folks think that line is drawn. Maybe I'm thinking more minimalist that most folks do, which kind of surprises me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I like the ease of setup with the asym. diamond. I've stayed dry as well. Only need two stakes. I'm going to make a 8×8 asym. for myself here real soon.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Lawson Kline makes some cuben tarps, including square tarps you could use for such a purpose over at Mountainfitter.com. He'll do custom work as well. Made me a hammock tarp that I love, but it's much bigger than you're looking for.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I'm kind of surprised that there's not more info on this MLD UL tarp online either there or here."

It's a very new product, just came out this year. In fact, I think it just came out within the last three months or so. At least that's when I noticed it. Could be wrong.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm working with Lawson at Mountainfitter.com right now on a Hex Hammock Tarp that he might then add to his line. It's going to be smaller than Doug's Taj Mahal…Mine is going to have a 11' ridgeline, be 9' wide, and have two tieouts (with grommets) on each side that are 6' apart.

If you're not in a real hurry it might be worth waiting. This should weigh somewhere less than 8 ounces…

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Brian–
    I think the only way to know for sure is to try the MLD UL out. I doubt MLD would sell a tarp as a "hammock tarp" if it weren't up for the task. Email Ron. He was very responsive when I had questions regarding a custom tarp and when I bought the hex hammock tarp.

Doug–
    I like that tarp you have, btw. I tried to get Lawson to make me a custom tarp similar to yours, but despite several email over 2-3 months, he eventually declined as he was too busy with other projects. Disappointing.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Doug–I was thinking it had been out a while, but you are correct that it hasn't.

Kevin–that tarp Mountainfitter is making sounds fantastic. Please post pics and your thoughts when you get it and have a chance to test it out. That sounds about ideal depending on $.

Brian R–yeah, you are right–I would just need to try it. I didn't mean to imply that Ron would sell something that doesn't work, just that it might be too minimal for anything other than a very small hammock in ideal conditions. Wish there were some folks who had used it with different hammocks in different conditions. Guess I gotta try it. Or one like Kevin is getting. Decisions decisions…

Thanks for the advice everyone.

edward van eenoo

@eeenoo

Might want to check into a cuben tarp from zpacks. Mine is 11'x8'8" and weighs 6.5 oz. Corners are folded in in this pic but can be staked out for more coverage.cuben tarp

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

The MLD tarp is still kinda new…so not alot of ppl have one…i'v been looking at one myself for my UL hammock setup
    i almost pulled the trigger last night ;)
    i still might order one this week

but like others have said i would look at an OES tarp
    i had the JRB 8×8 and if you plan to use a tarp this shape with a WBBB it will not cover the footbox …

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've been hanging under my Hennessey Hyper-lite Backpacker's asym tarp for two years. I converted to the asym tarp-cape (same size & shape) as soon as it came out. Neither ever let me down. I put my poles under the corners when the weather is nice, but if it starts to pour, I get rid of the poles and stake the corners steeply. I've never had a drop inside the Hammock even when setting up in a downpour thanks to the snakeskins. The hyper-lite weighs 1lb 10 oz. Since the tarp converts to a cape, I was able to get rid of my 11 oz. poncho. That nets out to a 15 oz. shelter. For the comfort and amenities, that's not too bad.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see it mentioned.

I use a WB Edge in Spinn, and have been very happy with it.

8.25oz, a bargain for the price IMHO.

I'd like a cuben winter tarp, but I doubt I'll make the investment to replace one in the size of the Edge anytime soon.

A diamond cuben tarp would be an easy MYOG project, but I'm kind of hesitant personally about the coverage.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i thot to mention that gray is not the only color OES offers. i talked with brian about his color choices and on the OES site you'll see that he advertises alternative to gray colors for his standard tarp line. on his maccats, you can ask for these colors.

i have a maccat standard hammock tarp in a very cool moss brown color. it is stealthy – same color as the JRB tarps in "cattail brown"

see my avatar for a sneak peak

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools