Topic

Grappling Hooks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Grappling Hooks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

How about a couple of Marlin or shark hooks, tied together?

Cheers
    (But I still want that photo!)

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

I missed the whole 550 cord thing. So you get a double WTF from me. Please do yourself a favor and scratch this whole idea. If you are super hell bent on doing this, the money you're going to eventually spend on SAR fee's is going to be way more than hiring a guide. Hell I'll guide you.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"So does anyone build micro-ATCs and micro-ascenders to use with the 550 paracord attached to the micro-grappling hook?
    OOOH! A micro-Gri Gri for self belay…"

Hip belay, prussics from fishing line—

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

If you want to rope up, do it right. Get a rock climber to fix a hand line for you, or to place protection.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Quoting from one of the comments on that youtube vid:

"…if you slip and regrab the robe, you do not have static forces, you will have dynamic forces acting to the hook. If it then bends or breaks, there is nothing to hold on or keep ninja save. That's why we today do not rock climb with hemp robes…"

Personally I always climb in a hemp robe, but otherwise I think this is sound advice. Be smart and live to out-ninja your foes another day! ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

From your description of the route-exposure, angle, crappy rock quality-I find myself wondering why you are attempting this. It comes off as a really creative way to cop the Darwin Award, posthumously of course. None of my business, I know, but still, since you posted…..

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Since you are attempting to use this type of thing as fall arrest and not just body weight support, it's even more severe an application than what CountyComm has to say about this item:

IMPORTANT: The Micro Grappling hook is not designed for life support applications and should not be used for such applications. As with all tools, use with extreme caution. Special Note To Ninja Warriors: This will not support your body weight.

For the larger one:
    # These Hooks Are NOT Certified For Life Support Activities And Should NOT Be Used For Any Life Support Function. They are designed to pull trip wires.

>Use It As A Specialized Grappling Hook To Remotely Capture Lines, Tear Down Phone Lines, Reposition Barbed Wire Emplacements, Disrupt Wires, Move Packages and Bags, Rake and Break Windows, Tear Down Blinds/Curtains in SWAT Entry Applications.

IMPORTANT: The pocket grappling hook is not designed for life support applications and should not be used for such applications. As with all tools, use with extreme caution. This was designed to snag trip wires in a combat enviroment, not snag shopping carts full of rocks from a creek or whaling operations. Use the appropriate tool for the task at hand.

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Oh man I love the idea of a big treble hook.
    Here's a 14/0

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I know that on past climbs, Roger Caffin has tossed a very large boomerang with an attached rope, which then flies around the tree and comes neatly right back into his throwing hand.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I get some unsuspecting dupe to go before me and lower me a line..

Pierce Bayers

@pbayers

I got 4 Capewell grappling hooks that I got off of Botach tactical (God smite their customer service please)for sale now.
    I got these last year when they were cheaper and I was able to get a discount for getting 6;D Anyway Ill beat their price by 5% and give free shipping anywhere in the cont.US Thats $185 shipped
    Rope not included

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"So does anyone build micro-ATCs and micro-ascenders to use with the 550 paracord attached to the micro-grappling hook?
    OOOH! A micro-Gri Gri for self belay…"

Dulfersitz?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools