Topic

Grappling Hooks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Grappling Hooks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Chase Norton

@micronorton

I was wondering if anyone used lightweight grappling hooks. I found a website that sells one at 1.5lb and is not titanium. I was curious if we could get lower. Anyone?

bryan Schuetz

@bryanschuetz

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is it you're using a grappling hook for? Genuinely interested here. Other than storming a castle..I'm at a loss.

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Micro Grappling Hook

or, you could MYOG with titanium tent pegs and a solid eyelet…though I wouldn't know how to design this.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Is this for bear bagging? Seems like tying a rock to a string usually works…

HJ

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I use mine to skip switchbacks on the way up and down. Mine are hand forged by a local guy out of Unobtanium alloy.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

grappling hook

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

So sad…
    The young me is SO disappointed with the old me.

If you had pulled me aside at age 13 and said "You know, one day you'll have enough money to legally buy every ninja weapon and accessory on the planet….but you WON'T…".

Man, what happened to the old me?

Why don't I own any grappling hooks, climbing claws, caltrops, shurikens, kamas, smoke grenades…

Chase Norton

@micronorton

I am currently attempting to climb a very exposed 1 foot wide ridge with good 1,000 drop offs on both sides. I can see the tree and snapped rope that used to be an aid to complete the ridge climb, but it seems impossible to do now without the rope. A grappling hook would allow me to bypass this problem. Yes, a rock and string might work, but considering the dangers involved I would rather use something more trustworthy. Personally I am shocked this has not come up on the forums yet. Below is the link to the $195 1.5lb grappling hook, but ive got to think we can go lighter!

http://www.botachtactical.com/cagrho.html

Christopher Holly

@climber72

Locale: At my desk

That Capwell unit looks pretty keen – comparative weight is good too. I would trust the Rock Exotica guys to figure out a way to make it light weight if it did not sacrifice safety but thiers weighs in at 35 oz. See here: http://www.rockexotica.com/products/other_products/all_other.html (Scroll to bottom of page)

I know it might open you up to plenty of flame and ridicule, but maybe ask the guys over at the Super Topo forums for workarounds using something other than a grappling hook. Explain up front what you need it for and maybe include a picture I am sure a big waller could help you out with a system that is both bomber and light weight.

EDIT: Corrected link

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Chase,

I'm not a climber, but non-standard gear on routes with significant exposure makes me nervous. What about using normal mountain climbing gear? You know, cams, nuts, rope, all that stuff?

HJ

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

YouTube video

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Ninja jokes aside, how do you know if you have a solid anchor when you're throwing a hook hoping for a snag?

Bounce testing under full body weight over a 1000 foot precipice…?

There's a reason climbing shops don't sell grappling hooks…

Christopher Holly

@climber72

Hadn't thought of that – assumed the tree was big enough to be a suitable anchor. Guess that's why I suggested a picture.

Also, how far away from the tree will you be when hucking the hook? I wonder if the ridge you are on can take nuts or cams in any way. If the distance you have to cross is great enough not to chance it, maybe a belay is not such a bad idea?

Was thinking with my Ninja mind at first, now thinking with my Traddie head. Not sure which is crazier….

Chase Norton

@micronorton

Distance to tree is about 15 foot. Not sure if good anchor but have to try. It is not completely vertical so my entire weight would not be on the rope. Some standard equipment might work, but unlike the rocks of other places, these are crumbling volcanic rock that do not work well with most standard climbing gear. This ridge is quickly eroding away.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

….and this year's Darwin Award winner is….

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well, I think we need photos of the route! I want to see this, even if you haven't got up it yet!

I have done something similar, but used some long poles joined together to get the string over the tree, then I hauled the rope up. Spare tent poles maybe?
    Otherwise, it was climb 20 m of significant waterfall.

Cheers

Christopher Holly

@climber72

Dunno about all that, but at least safety is being talked about. That alone might save an entry on the list.

I've been on some mighty thin ledges with a death fall potential, but never in a backpacking situation. Always on routes where protection is ample – Jensen's Jaunt at Tahquitz for example. Not 15 feet to safe ground, but bomber rock that eats pro like there's no tomorrow.

Could this be done safely with a running belay? Where you and your second are tied together on a short rope and if you go, they go the other direction? Are you even using harnesses? 12 inches should be enough to Cowboy ride the ridge to the tree, but that all depends on the angle of the ascent. But choss is choss no matter how you slice it.

Maybe enlist a soloist friend to go and re-rig a safe anchor at the tree. I am wary of the grappling hook thing to be honest and want you to be safe above all else…

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

The grappling hook was used to great effect in the high seas.

Piracy at this point in time is frowned on highly, so barring any chance of boarding a willing vessel, I can't think of much use for a grappling hook, regardless the weight.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Chase, take a look at the Happy Hooker, made by Imlay Canyon Gear. Might suit your needs here.

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

The best grappling hook comes from Rock Exotica

http://rockexotica.com/products/other_products/all_other.html

It folds up when not in use, so it is much more compact.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

On rotten desert towers, some use an ice axe tied to a
    cord like a grappling hook.

You could drill and bolt the route with really big
    bolts or glue ins for protection.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Just find a competent climber to do it for you. At an entire FOOT wide and only fifteen feet I would totally go for it free solo!

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

You want to climb a semi exposed cliff with a grappeling hook? Are you serious?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This is completely wacky…I love it.

So does anyone build micro-ATCs and micro-ascenders to use with the 550 paracord attached to the micro-grappling hook?
    OOOH! A micro-Gri Gri for self belay…

I'm sure David Olsen will chime in now saying that tying a micro-Munter would be lighter! :)

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

"I'm sure David Olsen will chime in now saying that tying a micro-Munter would be lighter! :)"

Craig,

That's ridiculous and irresponsible!! Any experienced climber knows that belaying on 550 paracord requires a minimum of a super-munter http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2010/06/super-munter.html

And no self respecting ULClimber is going to carry a GriGri, even a micro one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools